advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $159.88 ( +2.89 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump warns post-hurricane Puerto Rico, says FEMA won’t stay 'forever'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 12, 2017 07:41AM
You realize his commitment to troops in Afghanistan is longer range than food trucks to Puerto Rico.

Trump warns post-hurricane Puerto Rico, says FEMA won’t stay 'forever'
[www.foxnews.com]
President Trump issued a warning Thursday to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico, saying the U.S. territory's infrastructure was a mess before the storm and warning that federal officials cannot stay on the island "forever."

The president made the comments in a series of early-morning tweets.

“’Puerto Rico survived the Hurricanes, now a financial crisis looms largely of their own making.’ Says Sharyl Attkisson. A total lack of accountability say the Governor. Electric and all infrastructure was disaster before hurricanes,” Trump said.

“Congress to decide how much to spend…We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!”

Hey, it's not like they are White People or part of America.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 07:44AM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump warns post-hurricane Puerto Rico, says FEMA won’t stay 'forever'
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 12, 2017 07:53AM
PR is beginning to have disease from drinking creek water. Antibiotic can cure but death follows left unchecked. But they are costing us too much money. Ruins the budget. How does he sleep at nite?

Wouldnt this be a perfect foil for Melania? Set up childrens clinics, schools or something?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 12, 2017 08:05AM
Chuck Schumer

@SenSchumer
Replying to @realDonaldTrump

FEMA needs to stay until the job is done and right now, it's not even close to done
Why do you continue to treat Puerto Ricans differently than other Americans when it comes to natural disasters?
Date: October 12, 2017 08:20AM
Do the PR people know this is 45s doing not the feeling of the American people? I wish there was some way to tell them we are on their side.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 12, 2017 08:23AM
Samintx,
They have no way of knowing. No electrical power. Cell coverage is increasing, but how you gonna charge your phone ? Pretty much the 'news' is by word of mouth. And I expect there is a new word for POTUS at this time.

If this doesn't drive them to full statehood I don't know what will. It would still be VERY cool to have a flag with 51 stars. I'm in a small set of people who had 49 stars in the flag when they were born.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 12, 2017 08:36AM
....wow, what strong moral character......blame PR, then threaten to abandon them......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 12, 2017 08:37AM
NewtonMP2100
....wow, what strong moral character......blame PR, then threaten to abandon them......

I have higher regard for OJ. OJ only killed two people.
Date: October 12, 2017 09:01AM
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Four deaths in Hurricane Maria’s aftermath are being investigated as possible cases of a disease spread by animals’ urine, Puerto Rico’s governor said Wednesday amid concerns about islanders’ exposure to contaminated water.

A total of 10 people have come down with suspected cases of leptospirosis, Gov. Ricardo Rossello said at a news conference.

On a U.S. territory where a third of customers remain without running water three weeks after the hurricane, some became ill after turning to local streams to relieve their thirst.

Jorge Antonio Sanyet Morales, a 61-year-old bus driver, took a drink from a stream near his concrete home on a hillside in Canovanas a week after the Sept. 20 storm. He then developed a fever, his skin turned yellow and within a week, he died at a hospital in Carolina, according to his widow, Maritza Rivera.

Dr. Juan Santiago said Sanyet was among five patients who came in his emergency clinic last week with similar symptoms after drinking from streams in Canovanas and Loiza.

The water was still not running at Sanyet’s house this week, but Rivera, said she and her family were drinking only bottled water, including some delivered by the town. Her husband was the only one who drank from the stream, she said.

“He was a friend to everyone,” Rivera said. “I don’t know how I’ll face everything without him.”

Forty-five deaths in Puerto Rico have been blamed on Hurricane Maria, which tore across the island with 150 mph (240 kph) winds. Ninety percent of the island is still without power and the government says it hopes to have electricity restored completely by March.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 12, 2017 09:14AM
cbelt3
If this doesn't drive them to full statehood I don't know what will. It would still be VERY cool to have a flag with 51 stars.

That would precipitate nationwide flag burning.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 12, 2017 11:00AM
cbelt3
If this doesn't drive them to full statehood I don't know what will. It would still be VERY cool to have a flag with 51 stars.

They may want it, they may even vote for it - but Congress will never permit it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 12, 2017 11:46AM
The most recent non-binding vote had a majority vote for statehood. The previous vote showed a preference for statehood among those who wanted to change from the current status. The holdup is Congress at this point.

cbelt3
If this doesn't drive them to full statehood I don't know what will. It would still be VERY cool to have a flag with 51 stars. I'm in a small set of people who had 49 stars in the flag when they were born.

I was born while the flag still had just 48, but lived for a period of time in the future 49th state while my father was stationed there. His enlistment ended just over a year before statehood was approved in Congress.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 12, 2017 12:18PM
Steve G.
“We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!”

It's been three weeks since Maria. Twenty-two days, as of today. What, you're not rebuilt yet? We can't help you people forever, you know!

samintx
Four deaths in Hurricane Maria’s aftermath are being investigated as possible cases of a disease spread by animals’ urine, Puerto Rico’s governor said Wednesday amid concerns about islanders’ exposure to contaminated water.

Geez! Don't tell Swampy! She had a cow when someone erroneously gave a report of a case of cholera from contaminated water in PR.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 12, 2017 12:50PM
Pure evil racist scum.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 12, 2017 12:54PM
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 12, 2017 12:58PM
The people of Puerto Rico have become political opponents for Trump
The storm hit three weeks ago and most people on Puerto Rico still have no power. Access to water is still so limited that people are drinking water from known hazardous waste sites. It’s an ongoing crisis that will certainly take years to resolve. (As the New York Times’s Peter Baker notes, the government was in New Orleans for seven years after Katrina.)

But for Trump, Puerto Rico has also become a political battle. Those seeking assistance on the island had become opponents. And if there’s one thing Trump has shown, it’s that he’s not terribly interested in leveraging the resources of the government for his opponents.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015