advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
A Cub Scout pressed a lawmaker about gun control. Then his den kicked him out, his mother said.
Posted by: numbered
Date: October 21, 2017 02:04PM
A cub scout getting a merit badge for asking questions of a politician....

"I was shocked that you co-sponsored a bill to allow domestic violence offenders to continue to own a gun," Ames said, according to a video posted to YouTube by his mother. "Why on earth would you want someone who beats their wife to have access to a gun?"
After Ames's questions went on for more than two minutes, a leader in his group cut him off to allow the state senator to answer. Both the senator and the leader commended him for his "thorough" list of questions.
But after the meeting, the leader of Ames's Cub Scout pack, which oversees various dens, requested a meeting with his mother. The leader told Ames's mother, Lori Mayfield, that her son was kicked out of his Cub Scout den, the mother said in an email to The Washington Post.
The son's den leader was apparently upset over Ames's questions, particularly the one on gun control, Mayfield said. The mother was told her son's question was disrespectful and too political.
"I had to go home and tell my son he was kicked out," Mayfield said. "My son was heartbroken because he really liked this den leader and couldn't understand why his question was inappropriate."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A Cub Scout pressed a lawmaker about gun control. Then his den kicked him out, his mother said.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 21, 2017 02:36PM
Hey, look over here, at the Boy Scouts' Jamboree they cheered Pres. Trump's campaign speech.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2017 02:37PM by Speedy.
Re: A Cub Scout pressed a lawmaker about gun control. Then his den kicked him out, his mother said.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 21, 2017 02:38PM
Ames - you're an awesome kid. If you need help paying for college in 7 years, message me.

It's the Den leader who should quit; he/she has no idea what civic values are and is obviously too insecure a person to handle opposing viewpoints on important political issues.

Ames deserves to continue on in Boy Scouts with his friends, if that is what he and his family want, the council better make that happen. That Den better not steal his popcorn sales credits either.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 23, 2017 08:41AM
Good civics lesson for the Scouts.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015