advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
“Ed Gillespie worked hard but did not embrace me or what I stand for” the president tweeted before the final tally was in.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2017 08:25PM
“Ed Gillespie worked hard but did not embrace me or what I stand for” the president tweeted before the final tally was in.
-Washington post coverage

Apparently winning all the time isn't what it used to be. However, this won't be over until Trump's trying to steal the Jackson portrait when he vacates the Oval Office.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “Ed Gillespie worked hard but did not embrace me or what I stand for” the president tweeted before the final tally was in.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2017 08:29PM
On the contrary, Gillespie went full Trump.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: “Ed Gillespie worked hard but did not embrace me or what I stand for” the president tweeted before the final tally was in.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2017 08:35PM
It was a tricky needle for Gillespie to thread. He had resisted even talking about the president for much of the race, while Northam called Trump a “narcissistic maniac” and pledged to be a bulwark against his policies in Virginia.

But Gillespie made a late pivot toward Trumpian tactics that seemed to energize his campaign, promising to defend Confederate heritage and airing ads that raised the specter of violence from illegal immigrants.

Trump, who never campaigned in Virginia for Gillespie, tweeted about the race several times Tuesday morning.

“Ralph Northam will allow crime to be rampant in Virginia,” Trump wrote on Twitter. If the Republican wins, Trump said, “MS-13 and crime will be gone.” He was referring to the MS-13 street gang that has featured prominently in Gillespie ads raising fears of violence and illegal immigration.

Those ads seemed to take a pivotal place in the race, appealing to some as an honest take on very real fears in suburban neighborhoods and condemned by others as Willie Horton-style race-baiting.

-Washington Post coverage
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 07, 2017 08:36PM
Sorry, I held back as long as I could...

"Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a long-term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance, an excessive need for admiration, and a lack of understanding of others' feelings."

Signs and symptoms
People with narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by their persistent grandiosity, excessive need for admiration, and a disdain and lack of empathy for others. These individuals often display arrogance, a sense of superiority, and power-seeking behaviors. Narcissistic personality disorder is different from having a strong sense of self-confidence. This is because people with NPD typically value themselves over others to the extent that they disregard the feelings and wishes of others and expect to be treated as superior regardless of their actual status or achievements. In addition, people with NPD may exhibit fragile egos, an inability to tolerate criticism, and a tendency to belittle others in an attempt to validate their own superiority."

"Therapy is often difficult as people frequently do not consider themselves to have a problem."
Posted by: hal
Date: November 07, 2017 08:37PM
that post stopped being entertaining (to the rest of us) a LONG time ago...
Date: November 07, 2017 08:40PM
hal

I enjoy it. But then I'm old and don't yet have any grandchildren who have to live in a country that elected Donald Trump president.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 07, 2017 08:47PM
hal

If you're looking for "entertainment" you'll find more on the other side. smiley-music039 hamster dance wiggle smiley

I re-post that info because there are still a few here who seem to think trump is some sort of political ideologue with deep, sincere convictions about the federal government, its history and its future.

He ain't!
Date: November 07, 2017 08:57PM
So, Republicans win in Republican areas and Democrats win in Democratic areas.

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 07, 2017 09:00PM
Northern Virginia is the "blue" part of the state.

Gillespie never admitted in speech or ad in Northern Virginia that he was a republican.

His banners were blue and sometimes green, similar to those of democrats and independents.

He only claimed affiliation with republicans and spoke of Trump when he went South, in particular when he was speaking to the Klan classic Trump voters.

It was an interesting tactic.

Posted by: gabester
Date: November 07, 2017 09:05PM
Speedy

And those areas break down pretty well on a rural/suburban-urban divide which could probably be pretty well delineated by a population density chart.

I say we repartition the nation along those same lines. The rural agricultural and resource rich areas can have their guns and their bibles and the urban areas have their industry and commercial services can have cosmopolitan culture and relative peace.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 07, 2017 10:21PM
Actually, the Dems in VA are winning in Rpublican areas-they may yet flip the VA House.

Speedy
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 08, 2017 06:40AM
anonymouse1
Actually, the Dems in VA are winning in Rpublican areas-they may yet flip the VA House.

Speedy

As of this morning, the derpocrats have gained 14 seats in the house of delegates. There are still 5 seats too close to call, but the way they are leaning indicates a 50/50 split, which is still a gain of 16 seats.

My delegate (republican) was unopposed. I just wrote in "No Thanks."
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 08, 2017 06:49AM
Gillespie was placed in no man's land. A true Company Man, he was a former chair of the RNC, a position that really does not normally give name recognition. And the late pivot to Trump, without the "bear hug" is something I suspect we'll see much more of.

Republicans know the base is rabid; they just don't how close to stand when feeding it.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 08, 2017 07:07AM
You know, I think that Gillespie probably was a moderate at heart. A middle-class Catholic upbringing in Jersey... But he embraced the dark side a little too closely in this election.

The talk about the "tricky needle" he was trying to thread was accurate -- and he missed the mark widely.

You can't simultaneously cater to the Klan in your speeches and publicly disavow them in your press-releases without a few people wondering at the hypocrisy.

Campaigning under the guise of an independent probably won him independent voters, but I imagine that he lost a few when he went hard-Trump towards the end and those same voters realized that he had been messing with them.

And he alienated pretty much the entire population of Latinos in Virginia by identifying their kids as murderous gangland thugs. Probably lost whole swaths of minority-voters across racial and religious bounds with those tactics. And ultimately the white middle-class, too.There's a certain point where the commercials insisting that all right-thinking white people need to be afraid of all dark-skinned people and there's one guy who's smart enough to put all the dark people in jail just feels like it's an argument against voting for that crazy white guy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 07:14AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 08, 2017 08:41AM
As I read somewhere today, “At least Gillespie has his honor. Oh, wait.”
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 08, 2017 08:42AM
gabester
Speedy

And those areas break down pretty well on a rural/suburban-urban divide which could probably be pretty well delineated by a population density chart.

I say we repartition the nation along those same lines. The rural agricultural and resource rich areas can have their guns and their bibles and the urban areas have their industry and commercial services can have cosmopolitan culture and relative peace.

thumbs up
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 08, 2017 09:32AM
Lux Interior
My delegate (republican) was unopposed. I just wrote in "No Thanks."

A DINO like the governor is better than nothing, but not even running a candidate in a purple state is guaranteed failure. What are you doing in 2 years?

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 08, 2017 09:38AM
Filliam H. Muffman
A DINO like the governor is better than nothing, but not even running a candidate in a purple state is guaranteed failure. What are you doing in 2 years?

I live in a county that voted 75% for the repubs.

There were 10 uncontested delegate races for the pubs and 23 for the dems.

If you were to look at the election map and not understand population densities, you would think that the pubs won in a landslide.
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 08, 2017 10:16AM
Petabytes of political writing over the last year can be summed up in this keeper quote....

deckada
Republicans know the base is rabid; they just don't how close to stand when feeding it.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 08, 2017 10:41AM
Lux Interior
Filliam H. Muffman

I live in a county that voted 75% for the repubs.

There were 10 uncontested delegate races for the pubs and 23 for the dems.

If you were to look at the election map and not understand population densities, you would think that the pubs won in a landslide.

No sucha thing as a DINO. Democratic Party is a Big Tent operation. Purity is for suckas.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 08, 2017 11:11AM
DeusxMac

"Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a long-term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance, an excessive need for admiration, and a lack of understanding of others' feelings."

Signs and symptoms
People with narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by their persistent grandiosity, excessive need for admiration, and a disdain and lack of empathy for others. These individuals often display arrogance, a sense of superiority, and power-seeking behaviors. Narcissistic personality disorder is different from having a strong sense of self-confidence. This is because people with NPD typically value themselves over others to the extent that they disregard the feelings and wishes of others and expect to be treated as superior regardless of their actual status or achievements. In addition, people with NPD may exhibit fragile egos, an inability to tolerate criticism, and a tendency to belittle others in an attempt to validate their own superiority."

"Therapy is often difficult as people frequently do not consider themselves to have a problem."
You do realize that nobody reads this any more, yes? It's just something to scroll past.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 08, 2017 11:13AM
vision63
Purity is for suckas.

Says the guy who supports purity tests...

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 08, 2017 11:15AM
numbered
Petabytes of political writing over the last year can be summed up in this keeper quote....

deckada

That quote is priceless.

As for Trump, we know that when his guys lose it's:
Date: November 08, 2017 01:58PM
$tevie
DeusxMac

Signs and symptoms

You do realize that nobody reads this any more, yes? It's just something to scroll past.

And nobody reads the sigs many of us append to our posts. Still doesn't mean we shouldn't post them if we wish. I like DeusxMac's frequent use of this post to always remind me that we have a president with an actual disorder that is a severe impairment to doing his job. I occasionally backslide and think of Pres. Trump as being a normal, healthy person. Maybe that lapse lasts five minutes but it does happen and I attribute it to my advancing age.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015