advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
US has lost 60% of career ambassadorship staff since January
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 08, 2017 05:26PM
The BBC:

[These are] career diplomats (who, unlike political appointees, do not change with every White House administration)...

"Leadership ranks are being depleted at a dizzying speed," Barbara Stephenson, head of the American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) chief, wrote.

"The rapid loss of so many senior officers has a serious, immediate, and tangible effect on the capacity of the United States to shape world events," Ms Stephenson writes.

...the exodus of disillusioned top career officers is depriving the institution of decades of diplomatic experience.

And the freeze on lower level hiring will weaken it in the future. Then there is the slow pace of political appointments to crucial jobs.

That has picked up lately but it's been hindered by the small pool of qualified personnel: President Trump refuses anyone who opposed his candidacy, and most of the Republican foreign policy establishment did.

...Last week Mr Trump was asked about the vacancies at the US foreign affairs ministry.

"I'm the only one that matters," he replied.

RollingEyesSmiley5
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: US has lost 60% of career ambassadorship staff since January
Posted by: hal
Date: November 08, 2017 05:55PM
"See, I'm reducing gov't expenditure!"
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 08, 2017 07:08PM
“Lost” <> rudely fired.

Trump is a complete @#$%&hat
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 08, 2017 07:16PM
"Where is the mandate to pull the Foreign Service team from the field and forfeit the game to our adversaries?"

I'm sure Vladimir approves — Trump is meeting with him in Vietnam (wonder if it will be another one-on-one conversation with no one to document it).

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 08, 2017 07:53PM
'Cause he knows that all he has to do to start a war is drop a tweet.

And what are ambassadors and diplomats good for when you're not starting a war?

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 08, 2017 08:30PM
steve...
"Where is the mandate to pull the Foreign Service team from the field and forfeit the game to our adversaries?"

I'm sure Vladimir approves — Trump is meeting with him in Vietnam (wonder if it will be another one-on-one conversation with no one to document it).

Yes, it's just one of the many favors 45 has done for Putin.

I first mentioned the State Department drain back in January. In the first month of 45's admin. they lost something like 360 years of experience with the first 8 people to retire/quit/get laid off. All those people spent a large part of their lives fighting back against Russia (and formerly communism).

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 08:31PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 09, 2017 03:38AM
Filliam H. Muffman
I first mentioned the State Department drain back in January. In the first month of 45's admin. they lost something like 360 years of experience with the first 8 people to retire/quit/get laid off. All those people spent a large part of their lives fighting back against Russia (and formerly communism).

Not to worry - the 45th Presidential Administration's solution will no doubt mirror other initiatives. Rather than fund federal positions, they'll encourage private industry and faith-based charitable organizations (i.e. "missionaries") to work in the place of career ambassadors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015