advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Texas hero interview
Posted by: wowzer
Date: November 08, 2017 10:37PM
[youtu.be]

Say what you will, but this man undoubtedly is brave and helped stop more tragedy.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Texas hero interview
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 09, 2017 12:32AM
Brave perhaps, but I suspect that 1) the shooter was done in the church, since he was shot outside the church, and 2), if anyone would have called the cops, they might well have been there within the 10 minutes or so that elapsed between when the shooting started and this guy engaged the shooter.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 09, 2017 06:00AM
wowzer
Say what you will, but this man undoubtedly is brave and helped stop more tragedy.

I heard that hundreds more would have died.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 09, 2017 06:04AM
It was a hideous crime committed with a rapid firing semi-automatic weapon. There are 300 million guns in the U.S.. That's the problem here.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 09, 2017 06:19AM
wowzer
[youtu.be]

I agree, he is a hero. He ran towards semi-automatic weapons fire. As an NRA instructor, he knew that he was facing some very serious weaponry.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 09, 2017 07:19AM
Irving Berlin – You Can't Get A Man With A Gun Lyrics
Oh, my mother was frightened by a shotgun, they say
That's why I'm such a wonderful shot.
I'd be out in the cactus and I'd practice all day,
And now tell me what have I got?
I'm quick on the trigger with targets not much bigger than a pinpoint
I'm number one, but my score with a feller
Is lower than a celler, oh you can't get a man with a gun.
When I'm with a pistol, I sparkle like a crystal
Yes, I shine like the morning sun,
But I lose all my luster, when with a bronco buster,
Oh you can't get a man with a gun.
With a gu-un, with a gu-un, oh you can't get a man with a gun
If I went to battle with someone's herd of cattle
You'd have steak when the job was done.
But, if I shot the herder, they'd holler bloody murder
And you can't shoot a male in the tail like a quail,
I'm cool, brave, and daring to see a lion glaring
When I'm out with my Remington.
But a look from a mister will raise a fever blister
Oh you can't get a man with a gun
The gals with umbrellas are always out with fellers
In the rain or the blazin sun
But a man never trifles with gals who carry rifles
With a gu-un, with a gu-un, oh you can't get a man with a gun.
A man's love is mighty, he'll even buy a nightie
For a gal who he thinks is fun.
But they don't buy pajamas for pistol packin mamas
And you can't get a hug from a mug, with a slug
Posted by: max
Date: November 09, 2017 08:07AM
pdq
if anyone would have called the cops, they might well have been there within the 10 minutes or so that elapsed between when the shooting started and this guy engaged the shooter.

A perfect illustration of not comprehending the reality of "when seconds count, police are minutes away"

Speedy
wowzer
[youtu.be]

I agree, he is a hero. He ran towards semi-automatic weapons fire. As an NRA instructor, he knew that he was facing some very serious weaponry.

True dat....
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 09, 2017 08:48AM
You can focus on the man. I'm going to keep my focus where it's needed: we are normalizing expectations of battlefield conditions in our neighborhoods - conditions that seem to require 'heroic' interventions to provide basic safety.

We deserve better than that.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 08:49AM by rjmacs.
Date: November 09, 2017 09:08AM
max
pdq
if anyone would have called the cops, they might well have been there within the 10 minutes or so that elapsed between when the shooting started and this guy engaged the shooter.

A perfect illustration of not comprehending the reality of "when seconds count, police are minutes away".

Actually, there were minutes, probably 10, as I said. And since this guy shot the shooter after he had left the church, it’s not clear to me that he actually saved anyone.

Like I said, brave, sure. Maybe foolhardy, too.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 09, 2017 09:21AM
A report from someone in the church was that the gunner was still in the church when the NRA member shot him.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 09, 2017 09:50AM
CBS News: Willeford ran from his home with his rifle and confronted the gunman, Devin Kelley, outside the church Sunday.

Dallas Morning News: As the gunman left the church, a town resident grabbed his own rifle and confronted him, Martin said.

NYT: When Mr. Kelley emerged from the church, an armed neighbor exchanged gunfire with him, hitting Mr. Kelley, who fled in his vehicle.

We’ll have to disagree until the facts become clearer, I guess.

BTW, the NYT article says the shooting began shortly after the 11AM service began, and authorities were first notified at 11:20.
Date: November 09, 2017 10:00AM
BTW, considering some people appear to have decided that the current state of affairs in the US, while unapproached in scope in the rest of the developed world, is just something we have to get used to, this may be of interest:

Florida Christian School in Miami put a few order forms on its website to make school supply shopping easier. Parents can purchase their children T-shirts bearing the school’s logo or some snugly winter wear. Or, for $120, they can buy them bullet-resistant panels designed to slip into their backpacks in case of a school shooting.

But why stop there? I think it’s high time they start making bulletproof vests for kids and selling them at Walmart, so that our children can all learn the cost of freedom of allowing every frustrated nut job to buy as many assault rifles and bump stocks as they want.

It’s the American way.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 09, 2017 10:55AM
Anybody want to open a store selling bullet proof Sunday clothes?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 09, 2017 11:22AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Anybody want to open a store selling bullet proof Sunday clothes?

One religious sect wears secret underwear - does that count?
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 09, 2017 12:01PM
Anybody that tried anything to help was being helpful. I don't think that the indiscriminate arming of any random individual as policy is reasonable. HOWEVER, since guys have them, then they can at the very least, take out the bad guys when the opportunity presents itself. I think he's a hero for trying if that's how it went down.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 09, 2017 12:43PM
But don’t forget the inevitable consequences so well demonstrated recently at that Walmart.
When a number of people are running around brandishing guns, the police have no way of knowing which people are the “good guys” with a gun and which are the “bad guys.”
Date: November 09, 2017 02:36PM
vision63
Anybody that tried anything to help was being helpful. I don't think that the indiscriminate arming of any random individual as policy is reasonable. HOWEVER, since guys have them, then they can at the very least, take out the bad guys when the opportunity presents itself. I think he's a hero for trying if that's how it went down.

Or they could, y'know, get a plate number and call the f*kin police, who are actually trained for these situations. Honestly, for myself, I think I'd rather have someone with a cell phone over a random guy with a deer rifle that wants to shoot it out with the bad guys.

I fear that this event is going to spawn any number of the latter wannabes with ultimately tragic outcomes.
Date: November 09, 2017 02:41PM
rjmacs
we are normalizing expectations of battlefield conditions in our neighborhoods -

We deserve better than that.
Trust No One, Fear Everything, Carry a loaded weapon at all times.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 09, 2017 02:54PM
There's plenty to debate about the conditions that led this man to react, but I don't see where there's much to debate about his heroism given the situation as it was. Even if what he did, did not change the amount of harm done - and it might very well have reduced it - his actions would still be heroic.
Date: November 09, 2017 04:02PM
DeusxMac
But don’t forget the inevitable consequences so well demonstrated recently at that Walmart.
When a number of people are running around brandishing guns, the police have no way of knowing which people are the “good guys” with a gun and which are the “bad guys.”

Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.
Date: November 09, 2017 04:27PM
You know, the other thing that bothers me a bit about this is that there were a number of hotel staff and police that were seriously injured and/or risked their lives responding to the Las Vegas shooter, and in contrast to the Texas shooting, likely actually did save many other people's lives by their actions, and I don't remember them being particularly celebrated as brave heroes.

Something about gettin yer huntin rifle and shooting at the bad guy has captured the imagination of certain folks.
Date: November 09, 2017 04:49PM
pdq
I don't remember them being particularly celebrated as brave heroes.

They were. But they were cops, and expected to have guns and run toward the danger.

This guy wasn't a cop.

Plus, there are many who want to advance the "Good Guy With a Gun" fallacy.
Date: November 09, 2017 04:54PM
Lux Interior
pdq
I don't remember them being particularly celebrated as brave heroes.

They were. But they were cops, and expected to have guns and run toward the danger.

This guy wasn't a cop.

Plus, there are many who want to advance the "Good Guy With a Gun" fallacy.

Bingo.
Posted by: max
Date: November 09, 2017 09:44PM
pdq
max
pdq

A perfect illustration of not comprehending the reality of "when seconds count, police are minutes away".

Actually, there were minutes, probably 10, as I said.
Sure you did say, 10 minutes, twice now.
And twice now you failed to comprehend the price of the concept ""when seconds count, police are minutes away"....
Posted by: Wild eep
Date: November 10, 2017 08:49AM
I get it now!

Guns should be mandatory so we don't need trained professionals!

Maybe start gun training in preschool!

The answer to the gun problem is MORE guns!

So logical!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 186
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015