AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Well, well, well Judge Roy Moore
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 09, 2017 12:50PM
Or should we say Judge not, lest ye be judged Moore, Roy

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Washington Post
Alone with Corfman, Moore chatted with her and asked for her phone number, she says. Days later, she says, he picked her up around the corner from her house in Gadsden, drove her about 30 minutes to his home in the woods, told her how pretty she was and kissed her. On a second visit, she says, he took off her shirt and pants and removed his clothes. He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear.

Wonder when we'll be hearing about his days in sales… boy's clothes, half off

Hope it's fake news. For Roy's sake.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Well, well, well Judge Roy Moore
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 09, 2017 02:04PM
She was 14. He was 32.

Apparently Roy was drawn to several young women.

He says:

“These allegations are completely false and are a desperate political attack by the National Democrat Party and the Washington Post on this campaign,” Moore, now 70, said.

RollingEyesSmiley5

He went on to call this "the very definition of fake news". The woman, BTW, "says she has voted for Republicans in the past three presidential elections, including for Donald Trump in 2016."

The weirdest line in the WaPo piece:

None of the women say that Moore forced them into any sort of relationship or sexual contact.

...which comes just three paragraphs after this:

...he took off her shirt and pants and removed his clothes. He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear.

That's not a "sexual contact" (with a 14 year old girl)? Did he have a purely platonic interest in what kind of fabric they were using in tweener underwear those days?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 09, 2017 02:07PM
damn that good 'ol boy has a tiny little gun, you know ?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 09, 2017 02:08PM
"If these allegations are true, he must step aside," Mitch McConnell said.

“The allegations against Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore are deeply troubling. If these allegations are found to be true, Roy Moore must drop out of the Alabama special Senate election."
-Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee
Posted by: hal
Date: November 09, 2017 02:22PM
pdq
The weirdest line in the WaPo piece:

None of the women say that Moore forced them into any sort of relationship or sexual contact.

...which comes just three paragraphs after this:

...he took off her shirt and pants and removed his clothes. He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear.

That's not a "sexual contact" (with a 14 year old girl)? Did he have a purely platonic interest in what kind of fabric they were using in tweener underwear those days?

I read that the girl didn't resist - was frozen. No force was used. That's all. Doesn't imply innocence by any means...
Date: November 09, 2017 02:24PM
Y'know, to be fair, the Honerable Judge is a piker when compared to other Southern men of that era...like, say, Jerry Lee Lewis:

Lewis has been married seven times: His first marriage, to Dorothy Barton, lasted for 20 months, from February 1952 to October 1953. His second marriage, to Jane Mitchum, was of dubious validity because it occurred 23 days before his divorce from Barton was final. His third marriage, to Myra Gale Brown, his 13-year-old first cousin once removed (his first cousin's daughter), lasted for 13 years, from December 1957 to December 1970 (although the couple went through a second marriage ceremony because his divorce from Jane Mitchum was not complete before the first ceremony took place). His fourth marriage, to Jaren Elizabeth Gunn Pate [ended when] Pate drowned in a swimming pool at the home of a friend with whom she was staying, several weeks before divorce proceedings could be finalized. His fifth marriage, to Shawn Stephens, lasted 77 days, [also] ending with her death...

Mr. Lewis was from a poor farmin family in Concordia Parish, eastern Louisiana. God, young gals (very young!) and scurrilous rumors jus part of the life, knowwhatamean?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 09, 2017 03:03PM
pdq
Y'know, to be fair, the Honerable Judge is a piker when compared to other Southern men of that era...like, say, Jerry Lee Lewis:

Lewis has been married seven times: His first marriage, to Dorothy Barton, lasted for 20 months, from February 1952 to October 1953. His second marriage, to Jane Mitchum, was of dubious validity because it occurred 23 days before his divorce from Barton was final. His third marriage, to Myra Gale Brown, his 13-year-old first cousin once removed (his first cousin's daughter), lasted for 13 years, from December 1957 to December 1970 (although the couple went through a second marriage ceremony because his divorce from Jane Mitchum was not complete before the first ceremony took place). His fourth marriage, to Jaren Elizabeth Gunn Pate [ended when] Pate drowned in a swimming pool at the home of a friend with whom she was staying, several weeks before divorce proceedings could be finalized. His fifth marriage, to Shawn Stephens, lasted 77 days, [also] ending with her death...

Mr. Lewis was from a poor farmin family in Concordia Parish, eastern Louisiana. God, young gals (very young!) and scurrilous rumors jus part of the life, knowwhatamean?

It's part of the "It's our heritage" movement. That movement says that we must not use contemporary standards to judge actions of the past - as in judging the Confederate leadership. So it follows that we shouldn't use our current standards of pedophilia to judge the Judge's actions way back in olden times. It's just heritage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 03:11PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 09, 2017 03:21PM
I want Moore to lose as bad as anyone, but I have a hard time with these very conveniently times allegations. Why did the accusers say nothing during his runs for the supreme court or his senate primary? All of a sudden from left field multiple woman decide to step forward, just seems questionable.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 09, 2017 03:26PM
Ombligo
I want Moore to lose as bad as anyone, but I have a hard time with these very conveniently times allegations. Why did the accusers say nothing during his runs for the supreme court or his senate primary? All of a sudden from left field multiple woman decide to step forward, just seems questionable.

Hard to say, but it seems like the "Me, too" movement is a really powerful one. I think a lot of women have a "latent" sense of resolve to say something they have wanted to say and that that resolve gains strength from the solidarity that comes from many voices sharing the abuse they suffered.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 09, 2017 03:35PM
Guys - the environment has changed.

BIGTIME men are being pulled down for the past crimes. Women are getting more bold, more willing to step into the light with an allegation.

Of course, there could still be some shenanigans going on... but if I were a victim and had suppressed my victim-hood for YEARS, I might be looking around and thinking, 'maybe it's safe now'.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 09, 2017 03:43PM
So he's gay, what's the big deal?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 09, 2017 03:44PM
Fear not, Ombligo, for even if this is true, it won't matter to Moore's godly base. The only way Moore leaves is if someone else comes forward.

In my state, the 1990 Republican gubernatorial candidate comes to mind. The moderate Republican was favored by most Republicans, but this guy Grundseth courted the evangelicals who picked him as the godly candidate in the caucus system of the time. Then some young women came forth and said this guy tried to get them to go skinny-dipping and drunk at a party when they were teens.

Grunseth denied, and complained, and called foul even as corroborating witnesses emerged. But he wouldn't relinquish the endorsement...until a month or so before the election when a woman more his age came forward and explained matter-of-factly that she'd been carrying on an affair with the married Grunseth for years.

He finally dropped out, and the moderate Republican replaced him and actually won (and I voted for him). But the point is that once one woman comes forward, it often enables others to do the same (see Weinstein, etc). If that doesn't happen, Moore stays in, and probably wins. The next month or so will tell.
Date: November 09, 2017 03:50PM
Carlson should never have won. I voted for Perpich and was sorry to see him lose. The Democrats were in the wilderness for two decades after that and the state is just now recovering from the disasters that followed.

Posted by: robfilms
Date: November 09, 2017 03:52PM
pdq-

in this case, the allegations between a 14yr old and a 32yr old took place in late 1979.

now that is indeed 38yrs ago.

but i was a 20 something back then and i can darn well tell you, 14yr olds were off limits even in 1979!

the good judge can squirm and whine all he wants but his sexual predator behavior severally changed these women's lives.

oh, one more thing...

...the stain of this is on moore's hands, not god's.

amen (and awomen).

be well.

rob

pdq

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 09, 2017 03:59PM
pdq
Did he have a purely platonic interest in what kind of fabric they were using in tweener underwear those days?

Not what kind of fabric, but the number of fabrics.

It must have been only one, since he didn't stone her to death afterwards.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: November 09, 2017 03:59PM
Ombligo

Really?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 09, 2017 04:01PM
Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Well, that's one of the defenses being called up, at least:

[www.washingtonexaminer.com]

“Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler said choosing his words carefully before invoking Christ. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”
Date: November 09, 2017 04:14PM
So the defense is that 1) it didn't happen, it was totally made up and fake news, and 2) it's no big deal - people in the Bible did it.

That's an...interesting rhetorical combination, for sure.

To point #1, and Ombligo's doubts, there is this:

The situation is this: The Washington Post talked to 30 people for this story. They name -- and have spoken to -- four women who a) do not know each other b) did not contact the Post before the Post contacted them and c) all tell very similar stories about Moore's decades-ago approach and intentions. They confirm that one woman's mother was in an Alabama courtroom on the day the accuser said she first met Moore. (Her daughter was 14 at the time.)

So, no, they didn't actually all "come forward now", a year before the election (actually, just a month - forgot it was a special election). But again, none of this matters to his base. He could shoot somebody in Tuscaloosa and he wouldn't lose a vote. All that matters to them is this:

Twwet from Judge Roy Moore @MooreSenate
Now, we’re locked in the ultimate fight for the future of our nation with the Obama-Clinton Machine

Yes, the "Obama-Clinton Machine". You know - that uppity @#$%& and that uppity New York @#$%&. That's all they care about.

RollingEyesSmiley5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 04:58PM by pdq.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: November 09, 2017 04:16PM
Lux Interior
Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Well, that's one of the defenses being called up, at least:

[www.washingtonexaminer.com]

“Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler said choosing his words carefully before invoking Christ. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

I was just about to post this.

Alabama..you do you.
Date: November 09, 2017 05:05PM
FWIW:

Though Moore attributes the story to an attack from the “National Democrat Party,” [WaPo reporter] McCrummen cites a source far from Washington. She was in the second week of reporting on Moore’s supporters in Alabama, she tells this blog, when she had a two- or three-hour conversation with someone who mentioned this newsworthy matter. “It was a random encounter,” recalls McCrummen. “The notion that we were sought out is completely untrue.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 09, 2017 05:35PM
....conservatives really are the worse when things come out......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 09, 2017 05:39PM
The last time bfd got excited about fourteen-year-old girls was about the age of 12
Date: November 09, 2017 05:47PM
You know, somebody recently was sentenced to 21 months in federal prison for sending lewd messages to a 15 year old. I don't have any problem with the punishment in that case, but I think it's worth noting that the 15 year old initiated the communication in that case, there was never any physical contact, and he's had to register as a sex offender.

Just sayin.

(...or is it OKIYAR, FA (from Alabama)?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 05:49PM by pdq.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 09, 2017 07:38PM
As for why nobody pursued this before...he was never running for United States Senate before. Washington Post reporters don't go digging into the background of local and state politicians (although I wouldn't mind if they did...) Sure they could have been tipped off by opposition research from the other party. Or somebody else.
The stories passed editorial muster with the Post, that's not an easy hurdle. Once you do that it doesn't matter who the original source was.
Posted by: stephen
Date: November 09, 2017 08:12PM
FYI.

My friend in Gadsden went grew up with the accuser and the woman who collaborated her story, they were close childhood buddies, and while she was at boarding school and didn't hear the story at the time, she 100% believes these women and feels they have nothing personal to gain from this.
Date: November 09, 2017 08:47PM
Politico:

Alabama Republican Roy Moore sent a fundraising email Thursday afternoon

Boy he doesn't miss a trick, does he?

"The Obama-Clinton Machine's liberal media lapdogs just launched the most vicious and nasty round of attacks against me I've EVER faced," Moore wrote in the fundraising email. "I won't to get into the details of their filthy and sleazy attacks."

I'm shocked that he would leave out those details.

"Their goal is to frustrate and slow down our campaign's progress to help the Obama-Clinton Machine silence our conservative message. That's why I must be able to count on the help of God-fearing conservatives like you to stand with me at this critical moment."

The email then asks for an "emergency contribution" to Moore's campaign.

"God-fearing conservatives". He's a piece of work, isn't he?
Date: November 10, 2017 02:57PM
And this is what happens when you talk to a reporter about what a Republican politician did to you:

[Alabama] State Rep. Ed Henry (R) thinks that the women accusing GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore of pursuing sexual relationships with them as teens are not only lying, but should also face prosecution.

“I think someone should prosecute and go after them,” Henry told the Cullman Times on Thursday evening. “You can’t be a victim 40 years later, in my opinion.”

Henry, who co-chaired President Donald Trump’s Alabama campaign, had similarly attacked the accusers [previously], saying the allegations were “very opportunistic” and that the women “are just looking for their chance to get on some liberal talk show.”

The likelihood of this threat ever coming to pass, of course, is the same as that of Trump's announced promise to sue all the women that related his sexual assaults on them last year: zero, because the very last thing these creeps want is for a court to hear testimony from actual victims and witnesses.
Date: November 10, 2017 04:23PM
State Rep. Henry would fit in well in certain Middle East countries.

pdq
And this is what happens when you talk to a reporter about what a Republican politician did to you:

[Alabama] State Rep. Ed Henry (R) thinks that the women accusing GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore of pursuing sexual relationships with them as teens are not only lying, but should also face prosecution.

“I think someone should prosecute and go after them,” Henry told the Cullman Times on Thursday evening. “You can’t be a victim 40 years later, in my opinion.”

Henry, who co-chaired President Donald Trump’s Alabama campaign, had similarly attacked the accusers [previously], saying the allegations were “very opportunistic” and that the women “are just looking for their chance to get on some liberal talk show.”

The likelihood of this threat ever coming to pass, of course, is the same as that of Trump's announced promise to sue all the women that related his sexual assaults on them last year: zero, because the very last thing these creeps want is for a court to hear testimony from actual victims and witnesses.

Date: November 11, 2017 01:05AM
It's what has "always kept them quiet in the past…" That or $10,000.

Neither is working any longer, though a million dollars might make someone think twice. Wonder where that kind of money might come from?
Posted by: Z
Date: November 11, 2017 01:20AM
Henry told the Cullman Times on Thursday evening. “You can’t be a victim 40 years later, in my opinion.”

So we going to have a breakthrough on the whole war of norther aggression with him here soon?
Date: November 11, 2017 04:47PM
Well, one thing's been settled. We now know the age of consent for Repugs…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015