advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Another shoe drops on Moore
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 13, 2017 02:21PM
...the fact that it may not be enough is fairly disgusting and doesn't say much about Moore:

Nelson went on, describing another incident [after] Moore signed a school yearbook of hers when she was 16.

"He wrote in my yearbook as follows: 'To a sweeter more beautiful girl, I could not say Merry Christmas, Christmas, 1977, Love, Roy Moore, Old Hickory House. Roy Moore, DA.'"

She said after the incident, Moore had offered to drive Nelson home after work, during which she alleges he forced himself on Nelson and groped her in a locked car.

"I trusted Mr. Moore because he was district attorney, I thought he was doing something nice to offer to drive me home," said Nelson.

She detailed her fighting off Moore in the car as he squeezed her neck, forcing her head onto his crotch.

She said that Moore eventually gave up, and told her, "You're just a child and he said I'm the district attorney if you tell anyone about this no one will ever believe you."

Frankly, I'm not sure this is enough. She was age of consent (barely), and there were presumably no witnesses.

I still think it's likely there may be moore more shoes to drop...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another shoe drops on Moore
Date: November 13, 2017 02:32PM
Actually, this may be the biggest shoe that dropped:

Republican Roy Moore trails his Democratic opponent for the first time in polling for the Alabama Senate race, days after accusations surfaced that he had sexual contact with a 14-year-old girl almost four decades ago.

...A poll published Sunday by JMC Analytics and Polling showed Jones with 46 percent to Moore’s 42 percent, with 9 percent undecided. The survey was conducted Nov. 9 and Nov. 11, and with a margin of error of 4.1 percentage points, it suggests the race is a toss-up one month from the election.

A politician may be forgiven for many things (especially a GOP politician, it seems to me), but losing a safe seat is not one of them.
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 13, 2017 02:39PM
I caught part of the news conference. She said that after the incident, a few years later, she told several other people about the incident which should be easy to corroborate.

Date: November 13, 2017 02:57PM
On the other hand, this poll says Moore by 10 points.

So, who knows?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 13, 2017 03:02PM
pdq
On the other hand, this poll says Moore by 10 points.

So, who knows?

He'll do even better in the polls in Alabama now that Sen. McConnell has said he wants Moore to step aside. But this could just be part of the Republicans' plan to give Moore a better chance at winning.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 03:02PM by Speedy.
Posted by: max
Date: November 13, 2017 03:23PM
pdq
...the fact that it may not be enough is fairly disgusting and doesn't say much about Moore:

Nelson went on, describing another incident [after] Moore signed a school yearbook of hers when she was 16.

"He wrote in my yearbook as follows: 'To a sweeter more beautiful girl, I could not say Merry Christmas, Christmas, 1977, Love, Roy Moore, Old Hickory House. Roy Moore, DA.'"

She said after the incident, Moore had offered to drive Nelson home after work, during which she alleges he forced himself on Nelson and groped her in a locked car.

"I trusted Mr. Moore because he was district attorney, I thought he was doing something nice to offer to drive me home," said Nelson.

She detailed her fighting off Moore in the car as he squeezed her neck, forcing her head onto his crotch.

She said that Moore eventually gave up, and told her, "You're just a child and he said I'm the district attorney if you tell anyone about this no one will ever believe you."

Frankly, I'm not sure this is enough. She was age of consent (barely), and there were presumably no witnesses.

I still think it's likely there may be moore more shoes to drop...

Surely, not another bimbo eruption?....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 13, 2017 03:25PM
.....just when you think it can't get worse.......they go lower......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 13, 2017 04:19PM
Chris Cillizza makes a bold prediction:

Roy Moore almost certainly isn't going to be a senator

My first thought is: You don't know Alabama.

But then there's this, that I hadn't heard about:

...even as [Moore's latest accuser's] press conference was wrapping up, Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner, who heads the [GOP's] campaign committee, released a statement calling on Moore to be expelled from the Senate if he manages to win the special election on December 12.

"If (Moore) refuses to withdraw and wins, the Senate should vote to expel him, because he does not meet the ethical and moral requirements of the United States Senate," Gardner said.

Gardner's pledge to vote to expel him if he wins means that such a motion would almost certainly pass. What senator -- Democrat or Republican -- could or would vote against expelling Moore at this point?

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. And even if that is the plan, then presumably the Republican governor gets to appoint his replacement.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 13, 2017 04:24PM
pdq
presumably the Republican governor gets to appoint his replacement.

Wouldn't that be Strange?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: hal
Date: November 13, 2017 04:27PM
pdq
Chris Cillizza mGardner's pledge to vote to expel him if he wins means that such a motion would almost certainly pass. What senator -- Democrat or Republican -- could or would vote against expelling Moore at this point?

AFAIK, Alabama decides who represents Alabama in the Senate. I don't see how a vote of other senators can change that.
Date: November 13, 2017 04:34PM
Ombligo
pdq
presumably the Republican governor gets to appoint his replacement.

Wouldn't that be Strange?

Stranger things have happened.
Date: November 13, 2017 04:49PM
Moore will just run again and win like he did for the state supreme court. Threatening to expel him just motivates the average Alabama voter to go to the polls (or is it 'below average'?). Sen. Gardner knows that. If he really was serious about keeping Moore out he would back a write-in candidate.

Date: November 13, 2017 04:56PM
......if only 'Deliverance' was for realz........

Posted by: bfd
Date: November 13, 2017 05:18PM
Maybe he should just change his last name to BEAN…
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 13, 2017 07:42PM
hal
pdq
Chris Cillizza mGardner's pledge to vote to expel him if he wins means that such a motion would almost certainly pass. What senator -- Democrat or Republican -- could or would vote against expelling Moore at this point?

AFAIK, Alabama decides who represents Alabama in the Senate. I don't see how a vote of other senators can change that.

If the Senate votes to expel, then that person is removed and no longer represents anyone. The governor of that state appoints a new Senator. It is essentially the same as if a Senator dies or resigns while in office.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 13, 2017 09:02PM
Ombligo
hal
pdq

If the Senate votes to expel, then that person is removed and no longer represents anyone. The governor of that state appoints a new Senator. It is essentially the same as if a Senator dies or resigns while in office.

Twenty years ago, Bob Packwood would have gotten kicked out of the Senate if he hadn't resigned:

[www.cnn.com]

Oregon Sen. Bob Packwood (R): Packwood faced a series of sexual assault and abuse of power allegations. On September 7, 1995, the Senate Committee on Ethics recommended Packwood be expelled. He announced he would resign the next day and officially left the chamber on October 1, 1995.

The linked article mentions that there have been 16 Senators expelled from the Senate - but 14 of those were kicked out because of things related to the Civil War. If Moore is elected and then gets kicked out, that would make 15 Confederates kicked out of the Senate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 09:05PM by Ted King.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 13, 2017 10:02PM
interesting - I din't know this
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 14, 2017 07:50AM
pdq

"If (Moore) refuses to withdraw and wins, the Senate should vote to expel him, because he does not meet the ethical and moral requirements of the United States Senate," Gardner said.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah, they save those special rules for uppity wimmins specific occasions.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: November 14, 2017 11:15AM
There's something about this that bothers me some. There is no question that these women have been very courageous in coming forward with their accounts. They deserve a lot of credit for doing so. But at least a couple of the women (that I can recall) have said that they voted for Trump. That gives their allegations more credibility, but that's also the part that bothers me some.

After the Access Hollywood tapes of Trump saying, "When you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything", 16 women came forward and accused Trump of sexual misconduct. Why didn't that turn these Moore accusers off from voting for Trump? Did they not believe Trump's accusers? You would think because of their traumatic experiences with Moore that they would be more likely to believe Trump's accusers than less likely to do so. Did they believe the Trump accusers but decide to vote for Trump anyway?

Like I said, I am not trying to diminish the courage of those who have come forward to give light to Moore's sexual misconduct. That took genuine courage and is completely commendable. But I just don't understand how some of them could have voted for Trump.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 11:16AM by Ted King.
Date: November 14, 2017 11:26AM
Ted King, the women didn't relate the one with the other. Not personal enough until Moore got into the picture. These women are conservatives in a very conservative state.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 11:26AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 14, 2017 12:34PM
Going with a clearly defined GOP trend pioneered by others, The Weasel Speaks:
[www.cbsnews.com]
Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday that GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore should drop out of the special election race in Alabama. "He should step aside," the Wisconsin Republican said at a press conference with House GOP leaders when asked about Moore, who faces allegations of sexual assault and sexual misconduct involving women who were 14 years old and 16 years old at the time. Ryan said that the allegations "are credible." "If he cares about the values and the people who claims to care about, then he should step aside," he said.
Date: November 14, 2017 12:54PM
....so less is not.....Moore.....??

Date: November 14, 2017 02:00PM
Speedy
Ted King, the women didn't relate the one with the other. Not personal enough until Moore got into the picture. These women are conservatives in a very conservative state.

Yeah, probably so. That's what bothers me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015