advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Commerce: Tariff rates to soar on Chinese hardwood plywood, metal tool boxes.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 13, 2017 04:03PM
One of many actions filed under the Obama administration.

U.S. makes final finding China hardwood plywood dumped, subsidized
Reuters staff
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Commerce Department on Monday said it had made final determinations that hardwood plywood from China was being subsidized and dumped in U.S. markets, and it set an anti-dumping duty of 183.6 percent and anti-subsidy duties ranging up to 194.9 percent. The United States imported an estimated $1.12 billion of the products from China in 2016.

U.S. says China, Vietnam dumping tool chests in U.S. market
Reuters Staff
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Commerce Department said on Monday it had made a preliminary determination that Chinese and Vietnamese countries had dumped tool chests and cabinets in the U.S. market. The department said it calculated a preliminary dumping rate of 168.93 for Geelong Sales (Macao Commercial Offshore) Ltd, and a rate of 90.40 for Tongrun Single Entity.

Commerce calculated a preliminary dumping rate of 230.31 for Vietnamese respondent Clearwater Metal Single Entity. The action came in response to a complaint by Waterloo Industries Inc, which makes tool chests in Sedalia, Missouri. Waterloo is a subsidiary of Fortune Brands Home & Security Inc (FBHS.N).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Commerce: Tariff rates to soar on Chinese hardwood plywood, metal tool boxes.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 13, 2017 04:08PM
Yikes. We're currently trying to get into residential solar before an anticipated 15-30% tariff on imported solar panels that may come as soon as tomorrow. The company I've talked to has said they will honor their previous recent quote, but I don't want to overly test that.

Think I'll prolly sign the contract tonight.
Re: Commerce: Tariff rates to soar on Chinese hardwood plywood, metal tool boxes.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 13, 2017 04:11PM
pdq
Yikes. We're currently trying to get into residential solar before an anticipated 15-30% tariff on imported solar panels that may come as soon as tomorrow. The company I've talked to has said they will honor their previous recent quote, but I don't want to overly test that.

Think I'll prolly sign the contract tonight.

Read the fine print. And congrats on the solar, I'm envious!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 13, 2017 04:24PM
Dumping has always been an issue. Getting the ICC to do something about it... harder to do. And proof ? Woof.

Reality ? China has been destroying the US economy ever since they got MFN status. They've also been destroying the Chinese environment, and ravaging their own country and lots of other countries for resources. Like.. Australia and lots of Africa.

The long game goal is the Han-ification of the world through economic ownership and immigration. There is no need to do it militarily.
Posted by: max
Date: November 13, 2017 04:52PM
cbelt3
Dumping has always been an issue. Getting the ICC to do something about it... harder to do. And proof ? Woof.
Not everything being sold as dumping is actually that.
I am not questioning that dumping exists, but many cases I have seen are a pile of political bs. Plywood being one example, we did the exactly the same finding about Canadian lumber and plywood. In each case the yardstick were our own, inefficient production costs, never mind that the actual costs overseas, or in Canada, were in fact lower. Instead of getting our manufacturing leaner we find for the "dumping". The only dumping then is on the consumer, paying higher costs.
Most of the time the higher tariffs end up destroying the industries they are supposed to protect....

cbelt3
The long game goal is the Han-ification of the world through economic ownership and immigration. There is no need to do it militarily.
No surprises there, it has worked for the last 3000 years, why change it now?...
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 14, 2017 06:41AM
Trump got great deals from the Chinese. Oh way, he said great party not ANY deals.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015