advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Guess who was in frequent email contact with Assange last year (and this!)?
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 13, 2017 05:08PM
Did you guess Donnie Jr? Cause if you did, you'd be right!

Just before the stroke of midnight on September 20, 2016, at the height of last year’s presidential election, the WikiLeaks Twitter account sent a private direct message to Donald Trump Jr., the Republican nominee’s oldest son and campaign surrogate. “A PAC run anti-Trump site putintrump.org is about to launch,” WikiLeaks wrote. “The PAC is a recycled pro-Iraq war PAC. We have guessed the password. It is ‘putintrump.’

Cute.

[Those messages] are part of a long—and largely one-sided—correspondence between WikiLeaks and the president’s son that continued until at least July 2017

That's well past the time that Trump (who encouraged Assange and Wikileaks in the past) was "seriously considering charges" against them.

Yeah, that didn't happen, did it?

WikiLeaks made a series of increasingly bold requests, including asking for Trump’s tax returns, urging the Trump campaign on Election Day to reject the results of the election as rigged, and requesting that the president-elect tell Australia to appoint Julian Assange ambassador to the United States [!!].

Call me paranoid, but doesn't that kinda-sorta sound like the requests of someone who thinks the other person owes them something?

At no point during the 10-month correspondence does Trump Jr. rebuff WikiLeaks, which had published stolen documents and was already observed to be releasing information that benefited Russian interests.

On October 3, 2016, WikiLeaks wrote again. “Hiya, it’d be great if you guys could comment on/push this story,” WikiLeaks suggested, attaching a quote from then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton about wanting to “just drone” WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange.

Already did that earlier today,” Trump Jr. responded an hour-and-a-half later. “It’s amazing what she can get away with.”

It is amazing what some people can get away with.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Guess who was in frequent email contact with Assange last year (and this!)?
Date: November 13, 2017 05:49PM
Heh.

Donnie Jr. tweeting about "all the corruption and hypocrisy" revealed by Wikileaks, back in happier days (Oct 14, 2016)
Date: November 13, 2017 06:07PM
...and Assange (tries to) respond to the revelations (oy vey...)

I cannot confirm the alleged DM's from @DonaldJTrumpJr to @WikiLeaks. @WikiLeaks does not keep such records...

Yeah, I'm sure that Wikileaks keeps absolutely no records, and probably can't recall about Twitter DM communications with the son of a US presidential candidate...but even so, he says, we "rebuffed" Don Jr.

...'K, so, when you suggested to him that you'd make a dandy Australian ambassador to the US, that was you rebuffing him?

Is that your position, Mr. Assange?

sneaky smiley
Date: November 13, 2017 06:15PM
Oh, geez! It gets worse. Pence Oct 14, 2016:

Pence appeared on Fox and Friends to dispel any questions about the Trump campaign’s communications with WikiLeaks, an organization which Trump’s own CIA Director Mike Pompeo has labeled a “hostile intelligence service.”

Some have suggested on the left that all this bad stuff about Hillary, nothing bad about Trump, that your campaign is in cahoots with WikiLeaks,” Fox & Friends’ Steve Doocey told Pence that October morning.

Nothing could be further from the truth,” Pence replied.

That same day, Trump Jr. sent out a link to a WikiLeaks search specifically referenced in an Oct. 12 direct message from the “transparency organization” to Trump’s eldest son.

“Strongly suggest your dad tweets this link if he mentions us,” WikiLeaks wrote to Trump Jr. “There’s many great stories the press are missing and we’re sure some of your follows [sic] will find it. Btw we just released Podesta Emails Part 4.”

...and so, on Oct 14, 2016, the same day that Pence was on Fox and Friends categorically denying any involvement with Wikileaks, he does just what Assange suggests:

Trump Jr. tweet
For those who have the time to read about all the corruption and hypocrisy all the @wikileaks emails are right here: [wlsearch.tk]

smiley-shocked003
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 13, 2017 07:15PM
Eric is obviously proving to be the smarter son.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 13, 2017 07:27PM
Check the date:

Posted by: gabester
Date: November 13, 2017 07:51PM
Unless Twitter's internal transcripts prove anything to the contrary - and I'm pretty sure they WILL NOT - there will be no evidence of explicit collusion. There's no need for it.

All of this was intended to undermine the legitimate presidential candidate, the legitimacy of the election, and the legitimacy of the elected candidate. It's chess... and I'd never put this together before but who "put in" Trump? Putin!
g=
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 13, 2017 10:52PM
gabester
Unless Twitter's internal transcripts prove anything to the contrary - and I'm pretty sure they WILL NOT - there will be no evidence of explicit collusion. There's no need for it.

All of this was intended to undermine the legitimate presidential candidate, the legitimacy of the election, and the legitimacy of the elected candidate. It's chess... and I'd never put this together before but who "put in" Trump? Putin!
g=

What constitutes "explicit" collusion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 08:14AM by Ted King.
Date: November 14, 2017 08:32AM
Ted King
gabester

g=

Yeah, I think you guys are on the same wavelength as me. When you are offered help in your campaign by Russians and quasi-criminal hackers, and rather than alerting the FBI or just ignoring them, you gratefully express your interest and show efforts at cooperation, I think that’s de facto collusion.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 14, 2017 10:01AM
pdq
Ted King
gabester

g=

Yeah, I think you guys are on the same wavelength as me. When you are offered help in your campaign by Russians and quasi-criminal hackers, and rather than alerting the FBI or just ignoring them, you gratefully express your interest and show efforts at cooperation, I think that’s de facto collusion.

The term "collusion" is tricky. Here is the Cambridge Dictionary definition of "collusion":

agreement, esp. in secret for an illegal or dishonest reason

With respect to Russian interference and any potential Americans helping them in their efforts are we talking about the "illegal" aspect of the definition or the "dishonest" aspect? I think that if we use the "dishonest" aspect of the definition, then the evidence of actions between Trump Jr. and Wikileaks pretty clearly shows collusion. If we are talking about "collusion" in terms of illegal actions, that is not as clear in this instance with the evidence at hand.

As a side note, I'd like to point out the the definition includes the idea of "secrecy". I think the nature of the correspondence strongly implies that these communications were intended to be secret. And there's an irony in that. Wikileaks has sold itself as noble, unbiased providers of tawdry and awful information that have been kept in the dark from most people. Unbiased transparency. Well, forget that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 10:43AM by Ted King.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 14, 2017 10:38AM
>What constitutes "explicit" collusion?

Nowadays? It seems like you'd need a very complete and well documented paper trail. Even then, if there's an error it could all be thrown out.

Poor people get arrested on suspicion. The rich need to practically announce their crimes to get tried.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015