advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Garrison Keillor just got canned, big time
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 29, 2017 12:18PM
I sure hope this single allegation is pretty damn serious and accurate:

Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is terminating its contracts with Garrison Keillor and his private media companies after recently learning of allegations of his inappropriate behavior with an individual who worked with him.

...Based on what we currently know, there are no similar allegations involving other staff.

...MPR and American Public Media (APM) will:

* end distribution and broadcast of The Writer's Almanac and rebroadcasts of The Best of A Prairie Home Companion hosted by Garrison Keillor;

* change the name of APM's weekly music and variety program hosted by Chris Thile; and,

* separate from the Pretty Good Goods online catalog and the PrairieHome.org website.

Says Keillor:

...he was fired over “a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version M.P.R. heard”

Personally, I'd like to know the nature of the allegation (again, at this point, singular) that results in Public Radio throwing his entire ouvre down the crapper.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Garrison Keillor just got canned, big time
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 29, 2017 12:27PM
If you're family's tried 'em
You know you've satisfied 'em
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 29, 2017 12:38PM
OMG, Garrison was Mr. Green Jeans of the northern woods. (Incidently, Mr. Green Jeans has a special or doc coming out in June I read)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 29, 2017 12:41PM
.....this make me wanna' just keill....over......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 29, 2017 01:12PM
I thought she had retired.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 29, 2017 01:21PM
vision63
I thought she had retired.

Don't know about she, but Garrison Keillor did retire once, or at least stopped Prairie Home Companion, but came back, IIRC.

Also, I seem to recall some negative rumors about him some years back?
Date: November 29, 2017 01:25PM
pdq
Personally, I'd like to know the nature of the allegation (again, at this point, singular) that results in Public Radio throwing his entire ouvre down the crapper.

At some point, we're going to need to get some due process in here.
Date: November 29, 2017 01:35PM
Acer
pdq

Agreed. I don't think asking for that makes one a misogynist.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 29, 2017 01:41PM
Acer
pdq

Folks who are 'outed' and whose careers go 'poof' are welcome to attempt to sue for slander / contract breach / etc... Since there is $$ on the table, expect at least one such case early next year.

Really I applaud this whole focus. If it stops the culture of abuse in its tracks, it's done its job.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 29, 2017 01:52PM
Gary Edward, is currently on his third marriage...

Mary Guntzel (m. 1965; div. 1976) "... being married to a writer and moving in a writer's circle...she found it awkward and painful and it made her feel self-conscious and inferior."

Between his first and second marriages, Keillor was romantically involved with Margaret Moos, who worked as a producer of A Prairie Home Companion. "Margaret Moos, had departed--quickly--from both Minnesota Public Radio and the stately home she shared with Keillor in St. Paul`s elegantly Victorian neighborhood of Crocus Hill. Soon the reason became known. America`s 6-foot, 4-inch champion of a down-home, family-oriented way of life had fallen head-over-heels in love with a onetime classmate [Skaerved] he apparently hadn`t seen in 25 years."

Ulla Skaerved (m. 1985; div. 1990) "The paper reports that his new love, known only as "Dorrit" [Nilsson], has sung on Mr. Keillor's "American Radio Company of the Air" radio show and has been tutoring him in Danish, his wife's [Skaerved] first language."

Jenny Lind Nilsson (m. 1995) - 15 years his junior
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 29, 2017 01:59PM
Lake Hebegone.
Date: November 29, 2017 02:18PM
I'm totally on-board with looking skeptically at triple divorcees who probably start number three before finalizing number two (looking at you, Newt Gingrich/John McCain/Trump/etc). Shaming such behavior even. I can't help but feel it reflects, as Dr. Seuss would say, kinks in one's soul.

But I'm genuinely curious what it is that Keillor is said to have done that would lead MPR to take the actions they did. Much more than clumsy passes that were rejected, I assume.
Date: November 29, 2017 02:33PM
Keillor responds:

“I put my hand on a woman’s bare back,” he wrote. “I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”

He added: “If I had a dollar for every woman who asked to take a selfie with me and who slipped an arm around me and let it drift down below the beltline, I’d have at least a hundred dollars. So this is poetic irony of a high order. But I’m just fine. I had a good long run and am grateful for it and for everything else.”

I have to assume the allegations go beyond this.

If they haven't, we've gone around the bend, big time. But let's hear both sides.
Date: November 29, 2017 04:53PM
cbelt3
Acer
pdq

Folks who are 'outed' and whose careers go 'poof' are welcome to attempt to sue for slander / contract breach / etc...

It's all in good schadenfun when some celebrity abuser gets his comeuppance. But the $45k salaried supervisor at the local burger franchise who gets fired and blackballed on unsubstantiated claims will not have the same resources to defend himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 04:55PM by Acer.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: November 29, 2017 08:47PM
If he can come up with those emails, he may just have his own lawsuit in the making.

Date: November 29, 2017 10:32PM
He says he’s had a good run, suggesting he’s unlikely to do so. That’s what someone guilty of sexual misbehavior might say (although as we’ve seen, simply denying seems to be more common, at least on the right).

It’s also what someone like Keillor might say if the event was exactly as he has described. Unfortunately, MPR (of which I am a long-time member and supporter) says that they will say no more about the matter, to “protect privacy”, after they’ve very nearly ended the career of one of our American treasures based (as they say) on a single allegation.

That doesn’t sound right to me. I may drive down to St Paul tomorrow and see if there is anything they can tell me to keep me from ending my support and urging everyone I know to do the same.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2017 10:58PM
pdq
He says he’s had a good run, suggesting he’s unlikely to do so. That’s what someone guilty of sexual misbehavior might say (although as we’ve seen, simply denying seems to be more common, at least on the right).

It’s also what someone like Keillor might say if the event was exactly as he has described. Unfortunately, MPR (of which I am a long-time member and supporter) says that they will say no more about the matter, to “protect privacy”, after they’ve very nearly ended the career of one of our American treasures based (as they say) on a single allegation.

That doesn’t sound right to me. I may drive down to St Paul tomorrow and see if there is anything they can tell me to keep me from ending my support and urging everyone I know to do the same.

Save some gas and give it some time.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 30, 2017 06:52AM
....was it a nice set of.....canns....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 30, 2017 07:04AM
NewtonMP2100
....was it a nice set of.....canns....??
Listen to Stephen King, Newton, “...kill your darlings, kill your darlings, even when it breaks your egocentric little scribbler’s heart, kill your darlings.”
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 30, 2017 07:40AM
pdq
Keillor responds:

“I put my hand on a woman’s bare back,” he wrote. “I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”

He added: “If I had a dollar for every woman who asked to take a selfie with me and who slipped an arm around me and let it drift down below the beltline, I’d have at least a hundred dollars. So this is poetic irony of a high order. But I’m just fine. I had a good long run and am grateful for it and for everything else.”

I have to assume the allegations go beyond this.

If they haven't, we've gone around the bend, big time. But let's hear both sides.

Why would you get to hear the victim's side? It's none of your business. This isn't a public trial. The station has been investigating this, with a legal team, for two months. They would not make a decision like this lightly. They're on the losing side of a big private lawsuit and we're finally in the era where men are going to be fired for this, it's not just going to be hushed up and swept under the rug.

Take away your financial support if you don't like the fact that they held a popular and influential white man accountable. I'm sending them money now and believe me women all over the country will do so.
Date: November 30, 2017 08:34AM
Lemon Drop
It's none of your business. This isn't a public trial.
Lemon Drop
I'm sending them money now and believe me women all over the country will do so.

You contradict yourself in your zealotry.
Date: November 30, 2017 08:59AM
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop
Lemon Drop
I'm sending them money now and believe me women all over the country will do so.

Nope.
Date: November 30, 2017 10:25AM
Lemon Drop
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop
Lemon Drop

Nope.

What an articulate and persuasive rebuttal... RollingEyesSmiley5
Date: November 30, 2017 01:46PM
Speedy
pdq

Save some gas and give it some time.

Well, I only got as far as the information desk. They told me if I didn't have an appointment no one would talk to me. I asked how one might get an appointment, and they gave me the regular phone number for MPR member services.

I wasn't expecting much more, but I felt I had to try. I'll give the number a call, but I think I know how that will go too.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 30, 2017 08:53PM
I have to say it's refreshing that concept of innocent until proven guilty is not lost here.

Welcome to a zero flirt world, where someone's possibly foggy memory will cost a lifetime and career.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: November 30, 2017 09:22PM
Rolando
I have to say it's refreshing that concept of innocent until proven guilty is not lost here.

Welcome to a zero flirt world, where someone's possibly foggy memory will cost a lifetime and career.

Putting your hands on a woman's body without permission is not "flirting." As for this incident the station's board has already investigated the claims (multiple harassment claims against Keillor from the same person) and found they have merit. Not sure why that's so hard to understand but apparently it is.

The station has around 133,000 members and says "hundreds" have said they're quitting so

I'd say that's a pretty strong show of support for the action. Also the fact that they are voluntarily giving up a very strong revenue stream from Prairie Home Companion says they made the ethical choice, not the "we'll trade a woman's dignity for the cash" choice.

[www.mprnews.org]

"We understand that some listeners are upset and know that the limited information we've made available at this time may not seem to justify such a consequential decision," MPR spokesperson Andresen told the Associated Press. "We want to assure that this decision honors the highest standards they've come to expect from us."
Date: November 30, 2017 09:31PM
Big shout out to the Washington Post for publishing Garrison Keillor's "sexual assault is just a part of the grand American tapestry" column the day he got caught.

Yes!
Date: November 30, 2017 10:19PM
It's convenient that these cases in the news currently are cut and dried. It won't always be that way, and I hope we recall due process when that happens.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 30, 2017 11:37PM
Lemon Drop
The station has around 133,000 members and says "hundreds" have said they're quitting so
[/i]

I guess they will find out at renewal time, won't they?

Acer
It's convenient that these cases in the news currently are cut and dried. It won't always be that way, and I hope we recall due process when that happens.

And get in the way of a good witch burning? Nah... As for me, I will continue to lunch alone, or in groups of three or more. I never thought I'd say that Mike Pence was on to anything, but he was right on this one!
[www.washingtonpost.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: November 30, 2017 11:48PM
Acer

Have you read anything about this case? Keillor wasn't terminated on a whim.
Date: November 30, 2017 11:50PM
I predict strong membership growth for MPR. Just reading the comments here has me with my credit card out sending them money. I see how important it is to stand up for women's dignity. Wow, so many can't do it.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 01, 2017 03:28AM
Lemon Drop
I predict strong membership growth for MPR. Just reading the comments here has me with my credit card out sending them money.

Possible because it has a more sophisticated and far better informed audience than other similar venues. But our $10 a month will not be affected.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 01, 2017 09:16AM
Lemon Drop
Putting your hands on a woman's body without permission is not "flirting."

Nor is touching another person on the back, with one hand, a sexual assault, or even “inappropriate behavior”, by itself.

As for this incident the station's board has already investigated the claims (multiple harassment claims against Keillor from the same person) and found they have merit.

...and as human beings, we are curious as to what the nature of the allegation was to merit the ruining of a man’s reputation, the tarnishing of a significant legacy, and the impairment of his livelihood.

That’s not an unreasonable request, but it is one that for some reason doesn’t show any sign of being acommodated in any way.
Date: December 01, 2017 11:48AM
pdq
Lemon Drop

Nor is touching another person on the back, with one hand, a sexual assault, or even “inappropriate behavior”, by itself.

As for this incident the station's board has already investigated the claims (multiple harassment claims against Keillor from the same person) and found they have merit.

...and as human beings, we are curious as to what the nature of the allegation was to merit the ruining of a man’s reputation, the tarnishing of a significant legacy, and the impairment of his livelihood.

That’s not an unreasonable request, but it is one that for some reason doesn’t show any sign of being accommodated in any way.

1. The station has released a very clear statement about their extensive investigation, which includes not only multiple instances of sexual harassment but also discrimination and retaliation against a women who reported to Keillor.

2. I know it may be difficult for men to grasp, but women in the workplace place deal with this all the time, at all levels. And so often the more powerful man gets away with it because it's swept under the rug. Maybe we're finally entering a time when people can be safer and more respected at work, and that's a good thing.

3. You are not entitled to the details of any private lawsuit to which you're not a party. No matter how much you admire the man who has been found lacking in his conduct and want to blame the victim instead.

4. Do you really think that MPR would give up all of that money for no good reason? I imagine that the group of attorneys told a very upset board and senior staff that due to the grievous nature of Keillor's behavior they had no choice but to cut ties.

Keillor's work was all about nostalgia for the past, and his recent work seems to include nostalgia for days when men could behave as they wished without fear of reprisals. Like Lake Wobegon, that's fiction, and it belongs in the past. And as this situation shows, so does Garrison Keillor.
Date: December 01, 2017 11:59AM
Speedy
Lemon Drop
I predict strong membership growth for MPR. Just reading the comments here has me with my credit card out sending them money.

Possible because it has a more sophisticated and far better informed audience than other similar venues. But our $10 a month will not be affected.

Good to know. That $10 a month makes all the difference. Yes it's a fantastic station, I listen online sometimes. And with $22 million a year from listeners, I doubt this incident will have negative impact on that revenue source but the loss of income from Keillor-related sources will hurt. That's why I struggle to understand why some people think this was done just on a whim - it had to be very serious in order for them to take that kind of hit.

Frankly a lot of younger listeners, the people the station needs to attract, don't like or care about Keillor. He's a dinosaur, and these revelations are going to help the station earn respect of a younger and new audience.
Date: December 01, 2017 12:29PM
Lemon Drop
pdq
Lemon Drop

That’s not an unreasonable request, but it is one that for some reason doesn’t show any sign of being accommodated in any way.

1. The station has released a very clear statement about their extensive investigation, which includes not only multiple instances of sexual harassment but also discrimination and retaliation against a women who reported to Keillor.

Link please. I haven't heard about that.
Date: December 01, 2017 04:31PM
pdq
Lemon Drop
pdq
Lemon Drop

Link please. I haven't heard about that.

It was linked by me in an earlier comment in the thread, but here it is again:

late Thursday, MPR spokesperson Angie Andresen told the Associated Press that there is "a formal complaint from an individual that includes multiple allegations related to Garrison's behavior."

[www.mprnews.org]
Date: December 01, 2017 05:25PM
"Multiple allegations" does not equal "multiple instances". We may be talking about one event which, misunderstood or not, was verbally conveyed to a friend who separately confirmed that she/he was told of the event.

Extrapolating this to "discrimination and retaliation" by Keillor is simply not supported by what I've seen and read. I'm not saying it could not have happened, only that there's been no direct allegation of that. But if you have a link that addresses this, I'm happy to stand corrected.

And I'm not sure why you seem to want to keep filling in these blank spaces with the worst possible interpretations.
Date: December 01, 2017 05:44PM
pdq
"Multiple allegations" does not equal "multiple instances". We may be talking about one event which, misunderstood or not, was verbally conveyed to a friend who separately confirmed that she/he was told of the event.

Extrapolating this to "discrimination and retaliation" by Keillor is simply not supported by what I've seen and read. I'm not saying it could not have happened, only that there's been no direct allegation of that. But if you have a link that addresses this, I'm happy to stand corrected.

And I'm not sure why you seem to want to keep filling in these blank spaces with the worst possible interpretations.

What the hell? Your desperation to defend your hero is getting pathetic. The station walked away from MILLIONS of dollars in revenue. They didn't do that over an innocent pat on the back, as you want to pretend.

MPR has said it would not tolerate harassment, discrimination and retaliation IN THEIR STATEMENT ABOUT GARRISON KEILLOR.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: December 01, 2017 10:43PM
Lemon Drop
What the hell? Your desperation to defend your hero is getting pathetic. The station walked away from MILLIONS of dollars in revenue. They didn't do that over an innocent pat on the back, as you want to pretend.

MPR has said it would not tolerate harassment, discrimination and retaliation IN THEIR STATEMENT ABOUT GARRISON KEILLOR.
Are you referring to MPR’s original statement or some later elaboration?

“MPR takes these allegations seriously and we are committed to maintaining a safe, respectful and supportive work environment for all employees and everyone associated with MPR.

We want a workplace where anyone who experiences unwanted behavior feels comfortable in reporting concerns to MPR. Discrimination, harassment, retaliation or other inappropriate behaviors will not be tolerated.”

That reads to me as a statement regarding MPR’s standards for maintaining a reasonable work environment, rather than specific breaches particular to Kellior.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015