advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Cutting taxes isn't helping Wisconsin revenues, why would the US be different?"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 03, 2017 03:27PM

So I took a look at the DOR's revenue report that came out Friday afternoon, and the sales tax numbers are indeed robust for October. They're also up a solid 6.2% for the first 4 months of Fiscal Year 2018 compared to what we had through October of FY 2017. If people are that confident in shelling out money to buy things, then maybe things are booming in the state.

Or maybe not. Look at every other type of taxes in that revenue report.

Wisconsin tax revenues, Oct 2017 vs Oct 2016
Income tax DOWN 5.8%
Corporate taxes DOWN 22.2%
Excise taxes DOWN 8.0%
Other taxes DOWN 12.2%
[jakehasablog.blogspot.com]

The Minnesotan left-wing economic miracle continues, while neighboring Republican states slowly collapse
[boingboing.net]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Cutting taxes isn't helping Wisconsin revenues, why would the US be different?"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 03, 2017 03:35PM
Minnesota governor Mark Dayton, a left-wing billionaire heir to the Target fortune who came to power and reversed his Republican predecessors' Reagonomic idiocy, instead raising taxes on rich people, increasing public spending, and creating shared prosperity for the people of Minnesota.

what kind of lunatic does that?
Re: "Cutting taxes isn't helping Wisconsin revenues, why would the US be different?"
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 03, 2017 06:23PM
He’s been a good governor, especially now with a Republican majority in the state legislature. I’m sorry that his term is nearly up.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 03, 2017 06:24PM
Lemon Drop
Minnesota governor Mark Dayton, a left-wing billionaire heir to the Target fortune who came to power and reversed his Republican predecessors' Reagonomic idiocy, instead raising taxes on rich people, increasing public spending, and creating shared prosperity for the people of Minnesota.

what kind of lunatic does that?

Not a problem to change back to Republican. Lots of rural folks in in Minnesota. When things are booming under Democratic control the Republican Party pushes social issues hard (want that gay couple next door taking away your gunz?) and gets elected. Republicans currently control the legislature and likely will win the governor's chair next year. Prior to Gov. Dayton, we hadn't had a Democrat win since 1986. But fortunately after folks figured out the con (no new taxes, no matter what) pulled by Gov. Tim Pawlenty in his bid for a presidential run, we had a few years of a Democratic legislature and governor and they fixed things right up by raising taxes on the rich. But all those rural legislative districts turn Republican by relatively slim margins (my local district was won by a Republican by 69 votes in 2014 backed by $100k of Koch funding) while the districts in the Twin Cities go big time Democratic, thus losing the legislature but giving hope that the Democrat can win the governorship.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 03, 2017 11:54PM
If we go GOP in 2018 in MN, I might have to move to Canada.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 04, 2017 04:11PM
As a Minnesotan, I find it hard to believe that 2018 will be a Republican wave.

I mean, I've been fooled before, but I still wouldn't bet on it.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 04, 2017 08:38PM
pdq

I hope you are right!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 04, 2017 09:51PM
sekker
pdq

I hope you are right!

All the GOP needs is an issue to hang their hats on. That might be Sen. Franken.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 05, 2017 09:11AM
I'm sure they can find a child molester to head the ticket.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015