advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Big time partisan weaponization of tax law
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 05, 2017 01:33PM
[talkingpointsmemo.com]

Stephen Moore, a conservative economist who advised President Donald Trump’s campaign on economic and tax policy, said in an interview published Tuesday that the Republican tax overhaul currently under debate by the House is “death to Democrats.”

“They go after state and local taxes, which weakens public employee unions. They go after university endowments, and universities have become play pens of the left,” Moore told Bloomberg. “And getting rid of the mandate is to eventually dismantle Obamacare.”

He argued that the tax overhaul legislation, which would repeal Obamacare’s individual mandate, would accelerate “a death spiral” in its exchanges.

“It’s death to Democrats,” Moore said.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX), the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, denied to Bloomberg that the tax legislation deliberately targets Democrats.

According to Bloomberg, however, the overhaul would have the strongest negative effect on residents of high-tax states (largely Democratic), universities (largely Democratic) and graduate students (largely Democratic).

It's pretty obvious that they were doing this, but it's kind of stunning that they feel so arrogant that they think it's okay to brag about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 01:36PM by Ted King.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Big time partisan weaponization of tax law
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 05, 2017 01:40PM
I'm at a loss as to how we got here.

No doubt I have relatives that think this is a good idea.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 05, 2017 02:05PM
I see conservatives, and by extension the Republican party, as desiring a Great Flood that will automagically wipe the sins of the world away, so that they may be reborn. And yes, the implied allegory is real.

It's crushingly frightening to realize that half the electorate possesses such self-loathing about themselves, and about humanity.

Edit: apologies for the redundancy in typing, re self/themselves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 02:06PM by deckeda.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 05, 2017 02:34PM
mattkime

We all do.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 05, 2017 03:12PM
Pay back time from the Trumpsters. It seems like that is all congress is doing these days. McCain did it on Healthcare and now the Republ are doing it on the tax law (which ain't simplier ,folks.)
Posted by: Pam
Date: December 05, 2017 03:50PM
It's a con game that will affect Republicans as well. Anyone who is not wealthy.
Date: December 05, 2017 03:54PM
Pam
It's a con game that will affect Republicans as well. Anyone who is not wealthy.

Except any Republican who is not wealthy will welcome the higher income taxes and the increase in the debt and deficit because Pres. Trump said it was magnificent.

Posted by: Pam
Date: December 05, 2017 04:47PM
Speedy
Pam

Except any Republican who is not wealthy will welcome the higher income taxes and the increase in the debt and deficit because Pres. Trump said it was magnificent.

And because their plight is due to lazy people who want the government to provide for them. The fact that they expect Trump, ie the government, to provide jobs and higher wages isn't the same thing.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 05, 2017 05:15PM
Speedy
mattkime

We all do.

Speak for yourself! Luckily, my family is pretty darned sane. A couple of old-time conservatives that are horrified seeing what has happened to the repub party. My BIL's extended family doesn't count.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 05, 2017 05:26PM
hal
Speedy
mattkime

We all do.

Speak for yourself! Luckily, my family is pretty darned sane. A couple of old-time conservatives that are horrified seeing what has happened to the repub party. My BIL's extended family doesn't count.

My father voted for Nixon twice and is frightened to see whats happening. He's basically a hippy liberal by current standards. But I also have extended relatives that take in a stead stream of fox and breitbart.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 05, 2017 05:46PM
mattkime
hal
Speedy
mattkime

We all do.

My father voted for Nixon twice and is frightened to see whats happening. He's basically a hippy liberal by current standards. But I also have extended relatives that take in a stead stream of fox and breitbart.

I can't quite put into the words the loathing I feel for Fox News and what it has done to this country.

Posted by: Z
Date: December 05, 2017 06:59PM
Long discussion needed in reference to some of the ideas above, but one of the key things that R's have done exceedingly well is the marketing and naming of their plans. Those trite soundbite-labels are repeated time and again, are soo damaging to making any progress (or Progressive) change in this country.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 05, 2017 07:09PM
Good point Z. It's amazing to me with a party made up of people purportedly so skeptical of government, how can its leaders be so successful at duping its members with this sham, doublespeak naming and marketing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 07:10PM by Acer.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 05, 2017 09:09PM
I have a lot of family in the military. They are still largely GOP and pro-Trump.

Just wait - they didn't even notice that the budget and tax plan has not included ANY increase in military spending.

They are so anti-liberals that they literally cannot see that they've been hoodwinked.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 05, 2017 09:48PM
I have several close friends in the Air Force (Major or greater). All were line pllots (mostly fighter or transport). ALL were adamantly opposed to Trump and most voted Libertarian as a result (with two even voting for Clinton). Very telling....
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 06, 2017 07:42AM
sekker
I have a lot of family in the military. They are still largely GOP and pro-Trump.

Just wait - they didn't even notice that the budget and tax plan has not included ANY increase in military spending.

They are so anti-liberals that they literally cannot see that they've been hoodwinked.

Carnos Jax
I have several close friends in the Air Force (Major or greater). All were line pllots (mostly fighter or transport). ALL were adamantly opposed to Trump and most voted Libertarian as a result (with two even voting for Clinton). Very telling....

Yep. Sorry if this offends, but...

Overall, the military population as a whole has always skewed poor/underclass.
With the ending of the draft it also skewed under educated (as well as lower IQ.)
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 06, 2017 09:18AM
"I'm at a loss as to how we got here."

Very simple actually.

Too many PEOPLE, for decades, have been NEGLIGENT in their civic responsibility to show up and VOTE. Low voter turnout allows the relatively small number of those who do vote to have a much greater effect than they would otherwise have. The percentage of votes ACTUALLY cast vs the number that COULD have been cast has been abysmal. As such, it's been quite easy for political bosses to sneak through legislation that, if scrutinized by the electorate, would never pass. Voter participation has been declining for decades and, hit a 20-year low in 2016. old fogey smiley

Voters, WAKE UP!!!!! hot smiley
Date: December 06, 2017 09:52AM
testcase
"I'm at a loss as to how we got here."

Very simple actually.

Too many PEOPLE, for decades, have been NEGLIGENT in their civic responsibility to show up and VOTE. Low voter turnout allows the relatively small number of those who do vote to have a much greater effect than they would otherwise have. The percentage of votes ACTUALLY cast vs the number that COULD have been cast has been abysmal. As such, it's been quite easy for political bosses to sneak through legislation that, if scrutinized by the electorate, would never pass. Voter participation has been declining for decades and, hit a 20-year low in 2016. old fogey smiley

Voters, WAKE UP!!!!! hot smiley

But it's also the demographics of the voters. Old people vote in droves, millenials don't, hence we elect Republicans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015