advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Any comments on League of Women Voters?
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 05, 2017 03:13PM
I'm going to a Christmas party Friday to meet some people but know almost nothing about them except it is non partisan?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any comments on League of Women Voters?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 05, 2017 03:49PM
They are strongly pro-democracy, so that means they are probably seen by the Republicans as the enemy.
[Meant as sarcasm, but it may not be as far from the truth as it should be.]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 05, 2017 03:55PM
Ted King
They are strongly pro-democracy, so that means they are probably seen by the Republicans as the enemy.

Very true. The League is all for fair and honest elections so the Republicans hate them.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 05, 2017 03:55PM
Usually one of the better non partisan groups around. Sadly, I can not remember meeting someone that was a member. I usually relied heavily on their voters guides.

My guess is you will enjoy it more than the last few Republicans Women lunches.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 05, 2017 04:01PM
Ted King

I think you are right because my Republ friends have down played them in the past. Acting like they were Democrats
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 05, 2017 04:07PM
Oh good, they have a social media.

www.youtube.com/user/LeagueofWomenVoters/videos

LWV Texas facebook

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 05, 2017 04:18PM
I can't help but be curious what your "friends" in the GOP groups say about you these days.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 05, 2017 04:40PM
I know someone that works with them although i've failed to bring it up in conversation. Report back.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 05, 2017 05:02PM
This is really funny.Here's the wikipedia entry, that someone has obviously been fooling with.

The League of Women Voters (LWV) is a left wing American civic organization that was formed to help women take a larger role in public affairs as they won the right to vote. It was founded in 1920 to support the new women suffrage rights and was a merger of National Council of Women Voters, founded by Emma Smith DeVoe, and National American Woman Suffrage Association, led by Carrie Chapman Catt, approximately six months before the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution gave women the right to vote.[3] The League of Women Voters began as a "mighty political experiment" aimed to help newly enfranchised women exercise their responsibilities as voters. Originally, only women could join the league; but in 1973 the charter was modified to include men. LWV operates at the local, state, and national level, with over 1,000 local and 50 state leagues, and one territory league in the U.S. Virgin Islands.[4]

The League of Women Voters is officially nonpartisan, though it supports a variety of progressive public policy positions, including campaign finance reform, universal health care, abortion rights, climate change action and environmental regulation, and gun control.[4][5]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 05, 2017 05:12PM
My parents belonged to the League of Women Voters (men could join after 1973). You are expected to pitch in, not rest on your membership, so that probably keeps more people from joining.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 05, 2017 06:18PM
Anyone allowing women to do anything IS "left wing" today. When I worked at the paper, LWV put together the voter guides we published.

They could probably use better PR, but that would likely be seen as partisan.
Date: December 05, 2017 06:24PM
Ombligo
I can't help but be curious what your "friends" in the GOP groups say about you these days.

I have no idea since none of them have contacted me since I dont attend any of their functions. Really good friends, huh?
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 05, 2017 10:33PM
Not to be confused with the League of Voters Who Dress Like Women
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015