advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trumps labor department: No Tips for you.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 06, 2017 05:40AM
The Department of Labor (DOL) is proposing a new rule that would allow employers to take their workers’ tips as long as they earn at least minimum wage. Proponents argue that the seized tips could then be distributed to non-tipped employees. Of course many restaurant owners are also considered employees, but that is besides the point. RollingEyesSmiley5

The DOL is allowing a generous 30 days for public comment. It will then ignore those comments and implement the proposed policy.

So under this proposal, the employer pays employees little and we are expected to make up the difference. but if we make up too much than the employer can cut back their already small share. If Restaurants had to pay a living wage, we could dump tipping altogether.

Donald "Robbing Hood" Trump -- he takes from the poor and gives to the rich.

[www.federalregister.gov]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 05:41AM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trumps labor department: No Tips for you.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: December 06, 2017 07:03AM
I'm curious how forumites view tipping. When tipping at a restaurant, are you tipping the waitperson for good service or the whole restaurant for the service, food and atmosphere? Some restaurant organizations are arguing that the patron tips the whole restaurant for their experience, and therefore tip-sharing is justified. One thing not clear in the following article is, do cooks earn minimum wage?

[www.eater.com]

I personally tip for the service rendered to me by the waitperson knowing that the waitperson is not making minimum wage and has to rely on tips, not how the owner runs his restaurant. If food is cooked incorrectly, it is not the wait staff's problem, it is the owners problem.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2017 07:17AM
....not even.....'just the tip'.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 06, 2017 07:38AM
I tip the waitstaff (20+%).

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 06, 2017 08:17AM
Sam3
I personally tip for the service rendered to me by the waitperson knowing that the waitperson is not making minimum wage and has to rely on tips, not how the owner runs his restaurant. If food is cooked incorrectly, it is not the wait staff's problem, it is the owners problem.

Agree. And I usually tip 20% unless the server really does their job poorly, like makes me wait 20 minutes for the stupid check. If I don't like the food, I don't come back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 08:18AM by Acer.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 06, 2017 08:33AM
Sam3
I'm curious how forumites view tipping.

You'd never know.

Tipping threads rarely elicit any response.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 06, 2017 08:35AM
I tip based on the service I actually get from the waitstaff. I dislike places that automatically add any gratuity. I want to be the one who decides what is merited. When I tip, it's generally between 15% ~ 25%. old fogey smiley
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 06, 2017 09:54AM
Immediate loss of employees for any restaurant that pulls this shiite. Like most folks, I've done my time in the restaurant industry. Tips was all that made it worth while.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 06, 2017 10:03AM
I can't believe this is being considered. I wonder who is pushing this. My first guess is the owner of some chain. Some places split tips between the staff, usually never the owner (maybe if they work there?).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 06, 2017 10:27AM
This is about higher minimum wages. This would only apply to restaurants that already pay at least minimum hourly wage to wait staff (many don't, expecting tips to make up the difference)

Restaurants are very worried about higher minimum wages and the impact to their bottom lines. One response is to do away with tipping and charge customers what it actually costs to purchase, prepare, and serve their food. Like don't let customers leave without paying for the service (many people do now because they don't tip, or under tip). Another is to just keep the tips and pay minimum wage, as this rule change would permit.

Lots of places have already done away with tipping, increased staff pay and raised their prices. IF every place in town does it, there's no impact to price competition. If they don't, it's a little stickier.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 07, 2017 04:22PM
Employers taking the tips is third-world stuff. Last year in Mexico, we paid with a card, and the waiter (who had been very attentive) said if you put a tip on the credit card there it's just kept by the restaurant. So I gave him a little more out of pocket.

How is it that one old blowhard fart can be so bloody obnoxious (and enabled by a major political party) in so many ways?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015