advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Some Of You Got Your Wish - Franken To Resign Tomorrow
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 06, 2017 08:09PM
Title says it all.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Some Of You Got Your Wish - Franken To Resign Tomorrow
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 06, 2017 09:03PM
I'm okay with that. Hopefully he pokes a finger in the eyes of Alabama Republicans on his way out.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 06, 2017 09:14PM
Alabama Republicans won't care. They'd have never supported him even if 100% chaste.
Posted by: max
Date: December 06, 2017 10:21PM
Stupid.
But typical of witch hunts.
I do not think Franken was guilty of sexual harassment or should have been prosecuted.

Just as Robespierre and his Committee on Public Safety inflicted the reign of terror with tens of thousands of victims falling to their witch hunts, then ended up being beheaded themselves, this PC witch hunt is now going after its own.

The PC wingnut nutsos deserve it....

Posted by: vision63
Date: December 07, 2017 02:49AM
It was the wish of the Republicans to get rid of pretty much the only Democrat effectively putting a hurt on their nominees and chasing Jeff Sessions up a tree. They wanted to get rid of him so they sicked Hannity on him and got the stupid Dems to do it for them because they somehow think he's replaceable. He's not.

This is exactly why we lose. The people that drove him away are @#$%& and bastards.

And whoever you are that wanted him to resign, you ain't no gotdamn saint yourself plus you don't need to be cuz they'll just make some @#$%& up about you and run you away with that info without lifting a finger. They'll get you to do it.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: December 07, 2017 03:24AM
And yet how does Trump evade all the fallout from allegations of his impropriarty?

He's innocent because he says so? He didn't admit to anything or apologize, so he's not guilty. Those are his words.

And he got elected after everything was made public.

And he and others still supports Moore. I don't get it.

Al Fraken and John Conyers are resigning...there is no reason in hell that Trump shouldn't be going out the door with them.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 07, 2017 04:14AM
The reason is rather simple - one party has a standards of decency, and accountability; the other does not.

I'll let you figure out which is which, and whether it is a strength or weakness.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 07, 2017 04:26AM
Ombligo
The reason is rather simple - one party has a standards of decency, and accountability; the other does not.

I'll let you figure out which is which, and whether it is a strength or weakness.

This assumes one ignores Bill Clinton. Evolving standards?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 07, 2017 08:47AM
Yup, evolving standards. At least they are evolving in one of the two major parties, so we got that going for us, which is good.

If Franken is cooked, then so be it. Clean house. Give his replacement time to redeem the position before the next election. Meanwhile, use the issue against the opposition.

Trouble is, in the conservative Christian mind, abortion is much worse than harassment and pedophilia, so clean house if you must but you'll still lose to Moore.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 07, 2017 08:52AM
Speedy, FWIW, I thought Starr’s seven-or-so wide ranging investigations were clearly politically motivated- some of them seem quaint now, like the uproar when Clinton hired a new WH travel office. Remember “travelgate”? Trump downsizes entire cabinet departments with impunity now, because “the people have spoken”.

But when I heard that Clinton was said to have carried on an affair with a WH intern, I thought it showed incredible recklessness on top of everything else bad about it, and I felt he should have resigned. What I didn’t feel was that it was grounds for impeachment, particularly when it was being pushed by Republicans politicians that were concealing affairs of their own, most spectacularly Newt Gingrich’s, which was ongoing at the time!

Gennifer Flowers sounds like, at worst, a consensual affair. Kathleen Wiley was, at worst, a boorish pass (and she didn’t help her case by claiming that the Clintons had her husband (and cat!) murdered). Paula Jones was probably another really boorish pass, although I recently learned that the “distinguishing characteristics” of Clinton’s junk that she claimed didn’t actually pan out under investigation. The “retaliation” she alleged was rightfully tossed out of court as groundless.

The only one that I think we might have fallen down on was Juanita Broaderick, who actually alleged rape (although this was later recanted, and even later, re-asserted.) I doubt that it was rape, but it was perhaps worth more investigation.

In any case, I would certainly have supported a more nuanced Democratic approach, if it hadn’t have been for Republican’s breathtaking hypocrisy and over-the-top politicization at the time. I think we’ve been moving forward as a party since, while the Republicans are moving the other direction.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: December 07, 2017 11:03AM
pdq
... I think we’ve been moving forward as a party since, while the Republicans are moving the other direction.

I agree, but it seems futile if a majority of people in this country prefer to move in the opposite direction, or even just stand still (ie not consider integrity to be an important virtue) .
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 07, 2017 03:08PM
Bill Clinton had/has a lot of creepy personal habits. It's why Al Gore did not want BC campaigning for him.
Date: December 07, 2017 04:06PM
sekker
Bill Clinton had/has a lot of creepy personal habits. It's why Al Gore did not want BC campaigning for him.

And his bytch ass lost. He was part of a team that created the greatest economic expansion in the history of the world. He not only chose to not run on that fact, but to also not use one the most engaging personalities around who despite his problems enjoyed a 65 percent approval rate.

Righteousness will kill you every time.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 07, 2017 04:07PM
sekker
Bill Clinton had/has a lot of creepy personal habits.

He also had one of the highest average approval rating of any president in our adult lifetimes:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 04:11PM by pdq.
Date: December 07, 2017 06:41PM
pdq
sekker
Bill Clinton had/has a lot of creepy personal habits.

He also had one of the highest average approval rating of any president in our adult lifetimes:

We lost unnecessarily.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 07, 2017 08:37PM
BC represents what I think is WRONG with our toleration of bad behavior.

Gore DID win the popular vote without BC.

I agree that Gore could have done better, but he lost by 500 votes in one state.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 08, 2017 11:29AM
Perhaps I should learn more about that. At the time I was under the impression it was consensual with Lewinsky. And yes, his infidelity did not matter as much to me compared to that, and his presidential duties and actions were independent considerations IMO.

What's not a "double standard" from my perspective is that harassment is just that, unwanted and predatory.

So maybe Clinton should have resigned because of the others, or "even" because of Lewinsky, but I felt at the time that Gore shot himself in the foot, especially because public sentiment was NOT against Clinton once Starr lost his own @#$%&, so to speak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015