advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
War keeps him in office
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 06, 2017 08:13PM
This is what scares me. He will give one of those"I am the only one that can help you" speeches and everyone will rally behind 45.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: War keeps him in office
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 06, 2017 08:26PM
Such a stance from 45 is fundamentally no different than what any previous President has said come reelection time, while the country was in some foreign conflict.

People have a tendency to believe someone who either:

1) ... says we need to stay the course/I have unique knowledge of the matter, so trust me we're really close to winning the war

2) ... acknowledges the war is unpopular/regrettable, but necessary (since it's already occurring ...)

I think what's different with 45 is that the signs of his itch are readily apparent right from the gate. And he's got 3 more years to push that button. He will find his war.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 06, 2017 08:35PM
Yes, he will make war. But GHW Bush fought a just and popular war yet lost, thanks to Ross Perot.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 06, 2017 09:07PM
That's how Bush 43 got a second term. I am hopeful 45 won't stay in office long enough to start a war.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 06, 2017 09:19PM
Speedy
Yes, he will make war. But GHW Bush fought a just and popular war yet lost, thanks to Ross Perot.

Daddy Bush's mistake was decisively ending it before reelection time. "Stay the course" and "1000 points of light" were comparatively weaksauce.

But yeah, whenever there's a strong 3rd party candidate, someone's gonna lose that otherwise probably would not have (ahem).
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 06, 2017 09:49PM
I think the US will need to be attacked in some manner that causes a large proportion of the country to react with a great deal of patriotic fervor for Trump to be able to make a war work to his advantage. I don't think he can get away with getting into a "preemptive" war. He's a great con man for those who already want to believe but I just don't see a war on the horizon that the American public in general will be itching to get into.

Terrorism on the other hand... it almost seems like he is begging for Muslim extremists to make terror attacks on the US. Depending on the nature of such a terrorist attack or series of attacks, I can see the potential for fanning the flames of patriotism hot enough to give him a boost with the electorate.

Unfortunately, the man is incapable of any sort of coherent strategic thinking and is prone to get emotionally hot when he should be cool, so there's always a plausible chance that he will stumble his way into us going to war. But, I think that most likely in that case, it wouldn't boost his standing with the electorate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 07, 2017 04:35AM
He has a ready made target in North Korea. How to do it without millions dying is the trick. I don't expect him to find a Granada. Maybe invade Puerto Rico? Most of his base already think it's a foreign country slipping subversives into the mainland.

Ted King
I think the US will need to be attacked in some manner that causes a large proportion of the country to react with a great deal of patriotic fervor for Trump to be able to make a war work to his advantage. I don't think he can get away with getting into a "preemptive" war. He's a great con man for those who already want to believe but I just don't see a war on the horizon that the American public in general will be itching to get into.

Terrorism on the other hand... it almost seems like he is begging for Muslim extremists to make terror attacks on the US. Depending on the nature of such a terrorist attack or series of attacks, I can see the potential for fanning the flames of patriotism hot enough to give him a boost with the electorate.

Unfortunately, the man is incapable of any sort of coherent strategic thinking and is prone to get emotionally hot when he should be cool, so there's always a plausible chance that he will stumble his way into us going to war. But, I think that most likely in that case, it wouldn't boost his standing with the electorate.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: max
Date: December 07, 2017 08:01PM
Speedy
He has a ready made target in North Korea. How to do it without millions dying is the trick.

Libya would be a great target, it would solve all your problems.

Oh, wait....
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 08, 2017 09:44AM
You’ll have to excuse max. Moammar Khadafy was one of max’s dictator-for-life heroes (although, among his countrymen, not so much):

(Fellow countrymen mourning Khadafy’s death in the streets of Libya)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 01:51PM by pdq.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015