advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"They're all crooks." Not they're not. What honest decent politicians have you known?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 14, 2017 06:10PM
Arkansas had two former governors and senators, Dale Bumpers and David Pryor, who were, in my opinion.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "They're all crooks." Not they're not. What honest decent politicians have you known?
Posted by: davester
Date: December 14, 2017 06:59PM
Barack Obama
Paul Wellstone
Jerry Brown
Barbara Lee
Joe Biden
I actually think that Hillary Clinton is pretty honest but it's a little difficult to see through the cloud of right wing propaganda that has been thrown at her.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Re: "They're all crooks." Not they're not. What honest decent politicians have you known?
Posted by: max
Date: December 14, 2017 07:01PM
Absolutely, by Democratic standards Clintons are the shiny examples of clean politicians....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: hal
Date: December 14, 2017 07:17PM
there is no way to know
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 14, 2017 07:19PM
The current MN governor seems to be pretty honest, Mark Dayton.

To their credit, I have not heard any major issues of dishonesty with GOPs Norm Coleman or Tim Pawlenty.

And the GOP former governor Arne Carlson seems to be a straightshooter.

Tim Walz also seems to be surviving being in Washington.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: December 14, 2017 07:21PM
I have long been on Bernies seniors advisory council and many of my coworkers know him personally. So he should count.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 14, 2017 07:23PM
Former Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 14, 2017 07:40PM
I've met my senators, well one is an ex-senator. I was impressed. Russ Feingold and Tammy Baldwin. I felt they were both honest and sincere. Otherwise, I like davester's list.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 14, 2017 07:58PM
max
Absolutely, by Democratic standards Clintons are the shiny examples of clean politicians....

I rest my case.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 14, 2017 09:27PM
I met John Danforth a few times... seemed a nice guy. I met Kit Bond, and he was a jerk. I met Richard Nixon, and he was creepy. Stressed probably, shaking a kid's hand.Saw George W Bush from afar as he was setting up for a 'town hall' at our factory. He seemed a bit out of his element, but seemed like a nice guy.

And I met Benazir Bhutto. What a lovely woman, so intelligent, so human. Tough as nails politician, a woman leader in a muslim country, who took power after a short coup when the military dictator who had murdered her father died 'accidentally'. (Yeah, right..) But she just felt... nice. I wept when she was murdered.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 14, 2017 09:36PM
Russ Feingold!!

Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 14, 2017 09:56PM
None were Republicans.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 14, 2017 09:57PM
max

True, totally vetted by Ken Starr.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 14, 2017 10:11PM

No, we're not talking about you.
Say goodbye already, Roy.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 14, 2017 11:43PM
Years back I delivered the paper to Congressman Silvio O. Conte and met him a couple times. Seemed a decent sort in person, and from all other reports I have come across in the years since.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: December 15, 2017 09:04AM
Jim Leach was my rep in Iowa for awhile. Republican, but from the Ripon Society of sensible Republicans who had a moral code.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: December 15, 2017 09:22AM
beagledave
Jim Leach was my rep in Iowa for awhile. Republican, but from the Ripon Society of sensible Republicans who had a moral code.

[en.wikipedia.org]

But he would be primaried out of office today.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 15, 2017 09:35AM
Tons, most as a matter of fact, although not necessarily those in D.C.... these people get jaded real fast.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 15, 2017 09:59AM
mrbigstuff
Tons, most as a matter of fact, although not necessarily those in D.C.... these people get jaded real fast.

I didn’t even think of that. I was a county board supervisor for twelve years. Even though it was an elected position, I never thought of myself as a politician.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 15, 2017 11:01AM
Helan Spivey, a Florida State Representative..

She upset a well-connected, heavily-funded, lobbiest-loved attorney to represent our area. She was already in her late sixties when she ran. A hard core environmentalist who was a co-founder of the Save The Manatee organization. She wouldn't even use campaign signs because they were blights on our roadways.

A true lady.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 15, 2017 11:28AM
I believe that John Lewis is the Gold Star alongside Jimmy Carter and Jerry Ford. I "know" Hillary is honest and I'll vouch for all of the others mentioned in this thread, even Bernie despite his shenanigans and shadings.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: December 15, 2017 12:06PM
Sen. Paul Simon of Illinois.

I agree about Gerald Ford too.

Posted by: pdq
Date: December 15, 2017 01:17PM
sekker
The current MN governor seems to be pretty honest, Mark Dayton.

To their credit, I have not heard any major issues of dishonesty with GOPs Norm Coleman or Tim Pawlenty.

And the GOP former governor Arne Carlson seems to be a straightshooter.

Tim Walz also seems to be surviving being in Washington.

Agree with Dayton (D) and Carlson (R). Also, Amy Klobuchar is like my favorite Senator ever.

Norm Coleman pretended to be a Democrat to win office in St Paul, and then (IIRC) switched parties shortly thereafter. Got a lot of dental work done for free by a dentist who is a big GOP backer. Later led the Congressional committee that made wild accusations about a bunch of people being on Saddam Hussein's payroll, all BS. Loved watching one of the accused, George Galloway, cut him and his fact-free smear to pieces on TV.

Pawlenty was horrible. The 2000's should have been a decent time, economically, but he had higher ambitions, which required him to have a no-tax-increase-for-any-reason stance. So public schools were strangled, a lot of regressive fees went up, and a year or two before Interstate 35 came crashing down, he said there just wasn't enough money for bridge inspection. When 4 of his party finally crossed over and backed a much-needed modest gas tax increase for our road infrastructure, he made sure their careers were ended. Although our park system also got strangled during his time, he did add one new state park, directly contiguous with a (not terribly popular) existing state park, so his rich buddies on Lake Vermillion wouldn't have to put up with any new neighbors.

I don't know how he got his aw-shucks friendly image - he was a right-wing @#$%&.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: December 15, 2017 01:19PM
I agree with Davester's list. People I've known personally who seem to be upstanding characters:

Congressman Alan Lowenthal (Ca)
Congressman Liu (Ca)
Congressman John Garamendi (Ca)
Congressman Henry Waxman (Ca) -- part of Waxman Berman machine, but a good vote

Never met Al Franken but saw him perform at the Comedy Store in 1973 -- a fine leader except for this one proclivity he may have had

Eugene McCarthy seemed to be an honorable leader and willing to tell LBJ off over the war.
Quite a few senators during the Viet Nam era who took leadership positions, although I can't vouch for their personal character

George Washington was known for his character more than his brilliance as a general. What I tell foreigners is that what distinguished Washington is that he voluntarily gave up power. Twice actually, because he resigned as commander of the colonial armies after the treaty with Britain, and he retired after two terms as president, creating a precedent for peaceful transfer of power that few nations can rival. There's not a lot of point in having free elections if the results are not put in place, and Washington made clear that this would be the case. He was offered the crown and laughed it off.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 15, 2017 07:35PM
Pawlenty WAS horrible in terms of policy, but I do not think he was dishonest...

I did not know those Coleman stories.
Date: December 15, 2017 07:43PM
sekker
Pawlenty WAS horrible in terms of policy, but I do not think he was dishonest...

I did not know those Coleman stories.

It's dishonest when you rob from the schools so that you can run for president on the 'I never raised taxes' platform.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 16, 2017 12:35PM
I think Barbara Mikulski was honest. Judging by local rumors, I wouldn't be all that surprised if someone who had been on her staff came out and alleged harassment, sexual or otherwise, but in terms of doing a great job for her constituents and having a moral compass as a representative, Mikulski is tough to beat.

Posted by: vision63
Date: December 18, 2017 06:17PM
$tevie
I think Barbara Mikulski was honest. Judging by local rumors, I wouldn't be all that surprised if someone who had been on her staff came out and alleged harassment, sexual or otherwise, but in terms of doing a great job for her constituents and having a moral compass as a representative, Mikulski is tough to beat.

You got that right!
Posted by: max
Date: December 19, 2017 03:42PM
davester
I actually think that Hillary Clinton is pretty honest but it's a little difficult to see through the cloud of right wing propaganda that has been thrown at her.

max

davester
I rest my case.

Perfect.
I am sure the same yardstick applies to the rest of the list....
Posted by: billb
Date: December 21, 2017 08:32AM
Baghdad Bob is my favorite honest Democrat.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015