advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The resistance
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 22, 2017 04:51PM
I used the term "the resistance" (to Trump and the Republicans) in a previous post and it got me to thinking - what is "the resistance"?

It's, for sure, not an coherent organization. I think of it as all the people who have come to the same strongly felt conclusion - through a great many different lines of reasoning and emotion - that Trump and the Republicans are acting in a manner that is hurting our society/country to a very concerning degree. Most Democrats fall into the resistance but the resistance is more than partisan Democrats (is "partisan Democrat" a pleonasm? - that's one for $tevie). I hope to see that the many disparate groups that make up the resistance (e.g., the Democrats are themselves made up of fairly disparate groups) don't let differences over less important things keep them from doing actions that reinforce each others efforts to thwart Trump and the Republicans in their destructive practices.

Is the resistance really a thing, though? What do you all think?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The resistance
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 22, 2017 05:31PM
Yes, it’s real.

In the science space, there is a true and coordinated #resist community supporting the EPA, CDC, NASA, NSF, the NIH etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 05:31PM by sekker.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 22, 2017 06:05PM
I've never seen civil society so politically unified in my lifetime. I think one of the strongest manifestations of "The Resistance" is all these thousands of people new to politics who are running for office. Especially women, who have been mobilized by Trump's ascent like nothing since the 70s.

It's incredible that one individual could stand for so many things that so many Americans oppose, but he's managed it.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 22, 2017 06:35PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

The French Resistance (French: La Résistance) was the collection of French movements that fought against the Nazi German occupation of France and against the collaborationist Vichy régime during the Second World War. Résistance cells were small groups of armed men and women (called the Maquis in rural areas),[2][3] who, in addition to their guerrilla warfare activities, were also publishers of underground newspapers, providers of first-hand intelligence information, and maintainers of escape networks that helped Allied soldiers and airmen trapped behind enemy lines. The men and women of the Résistance came from all economic levels and political leanings of French society, including émigrés; academics, students, aristocrats, conservative Roman Catholics (including priests) and also citizens from the ranks of liberals, anarchists and communists...

It was also politically and morally important to France, both during the German occupation and for decades afterward, because it provided the country with an inspiring example of the patriotic fulfillment of a national imperative, countering an existential threat to French nationhood. The actions of the Résistance stood in marked contrast to the collaboration of the French regime based at Vichy,[6][7] the French people who joined the pro-Nazi Milice française and the French men who joined the Waffen SS.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 22, 2017 07:08PM
There are still a huge number of people that aren't paying attention to the damage being done since the election. If Democrats could unify all the people upset by 45 and the right/conservative loonies, and figure out a way to filter out the noise from the ones not paying attention, they might actually build a super majority party.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 22, 2017 07:41PM
Lemon Drop
I've never seen civil society so politically unified in my lifetime. I think one of the strongest manifestations of "The Resistance" is all these thousands of people new to politics who are running for office. Especially women, who have been mobilized by Trump's ascent like nothing since the 70s.

Yeah, I'm sensing that, too. But then, I live in Portland, OR. I do get the sense that there is something to more and more people adopting the term "The Resistance". It's interesting that you capitalized it. I had to Google the formal grammar terms for why this strikes me as sort of interesting. Is "the resistance" a collective - and therefore, common - noun, or is it a proper noun ("The Resistance")?

A proper noun is the name of a person, place or thing (i.e., its own name). A proper noun always starts with a capital letter.

Collective nouns – words to describe groups (e.g., team, choir)

I actually remembered what a proper noun is but I couldn't quite figure out why I felt I shouldn't treat the term as a proper noun.

So is the resistance just a term used to describe a group of people who share the goal of pushing back against Trump and the Republicans actions or is The Resistance the name of a particular thing? The former application feels like it is connoting something that is less unified and the latter something that is much more unified. I don't know...

Lemon Drop
It's incredible that one individual could stand for so many things that so many Americans oppose, but he's managed it.

It's incredible that he, as a sick individual, has been able to galvanize the level of support for him that he has.

Posted by: max
Date: December 22, 2017 09:40PM
Ted King
Is the resistance really a thing, though? What do you all think?

Hardly.
More like a bunch of self entitled losers unable to live with the the reality of losing the election they were convinced was theirs all along.
Now desperately trying to paint an acceptable faux label over the Bad Loser written all over their posteriors....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 22, 2017 09:46PM

RESIST!
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 23, 2017 06:19AM
Lemon Drop

...and I might add GET ELECTED as President!banghead smiley
Posted by: Pam
Date: December 23, 2017 07:18AM
sekker
Yes, it’s real.

In the science space, there is a true and coordinated #resist community supporting the EPA, CDC, NASA, NSF, the NIH etc.

Very real. Anyone who says it's about sore losers isn't looking past the election like the rest of us and has no conception of the multiple threats to our country. It's not partisan. It's about country over party, protecting everything this country has worked so hard for. And the resistance will win. Rule of law will win. The damage will take years or decades to correct but we will do it.
Date: December 23, 2017 07:42AM
Steve G.

RESIST!

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 23, 2017 11:04AM
Thank you, Ted!
Date: December 23, 2017 12:06PM

"The Resistance". It's interesting that you capitalized it. I had to Google the formal grammar terms for why this strikes me as sort of interesting. Is "the resistance" a collective - and therefore, common - noun, or is it a proper noun ("The Resistance")?

That's why I put it in quotation marks. Grammarians disagree about whether names of social and political movements should be capitalized. Civil Rights Era or civil rights era? You see both. I usually go with APA style, which says to capitalize it.

It's too early to tell how history will describe the movement to oppose the policies and presidency of Donald Trump, but "The Resistance" works for me.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 23, 2017 12:57PM
The 'resistance' being described is neither new nor precipitated by 45.

What is new is the sense of threat felt by lots of people who had previously been unaware or unconcerned.

I think Onamuji's reference is valuable; the nature of a 'resistance' movement is that it's distributed and decentralized. It doesn't necessarily need (or want) visible leadership, though vocal proxies can be useful for messaging.

If you ask me, one of the most useful things resistance movements do is protect people at risk. Whether it's actively disrupting the machinery of a government targeting people, or simply filling gaps left by an increasingly deadbeat administration, resistance is about changing the calculus and distribution of harm.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: December 23, 2017 01:12PM

I would push back on this a little. The current social and political movement that calls itself The Resistance is a very intentional response to 45 and as a social movement did not exist prior to the election of Nov. 2016. There are some pivotal moments in the early stages such as the women's marches across the country in January 2017. Greenpeace hung a banner that said "RESIST" on a construction crane behind the White House. A political party with the name formed, and "resist" took off as the rallying cry for many diverse people and groups opposed to the policies and leadership of Trump.

No the concept of resisting is certainly not new. But this social movement is.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 23, 2017 01:13PM
rjmacs

What is new is the sense of threat felt by lots of people who had previously been unaware or unconcerned.

I think Onamuji's reference is valuable; the nature of a 'resistance' movement is that it's distributed and decentralized. It doesn't necessarily need (or want) visible leadership, though vocal proxies can be useful for messaging.

If you ask me, one of the most useful things resistance movements do is protect people at risk. Whether it's actively disrupting the machinery of a government targeting people, or simply filling gaps left by an increasingly deadbeat administration, resistance is about changing the calculus and distribution of harm.

I like what you're saying a lot. Priority one, protect the vulnerable as much as possible by whatever means necessary. Priority 2, GOTV.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 23, 2017 01:25PM
Lemon Drop

I would push back on this a little. The current social and political movement that calls itself The Resistance is a very intentional response to 45 and as a social movement did not exist prior to the election of Nov. 2016. There are some pivotal moments in the early stages such as the women's marches across the country in January 2017. Greenpeace hung a banner that said "RESIST" on a construction crane behind the White House. A political party with the name formed, and "resist" took off as the rallying cry for many diverse people and groups opposed to the policies and leadership of Trump.

No the concept of resisting is certainly not new. But this social movement is.

I'm still waiting to see, candidly, whether what you are describing is much more than a social media movement. I see a lot of messaging around the hashtag, and a lot of visibility for this word. In fact, it makes me wonder if the "Resistance," as you describe it, is a different animal than what I'm describing.

"Resist" is not a word I hear deployed a lot by the folks I see actually doing organizing work. Their work decenters 45 and his supporters while working to undermine their cause. Organizing, mobilizing, protecting, running local campaigns.

Perhaps others can chime in about how they hear this word used by folks?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: December 23, 2017 01:27PM
The Resistance is also larger and better financed than the Tea Party ever was, even at the height of that grassroots movement.

WASHINGTON — It started as a scrappy grass-roots protest movement against President Trump, but now the so-called resistance is attracting six- and seven-figure checks from major liberal donors, posing an insurgent challenge to some of the left’s most venerable institutions — and the Democratic Party itself.

[www.nytimes.com]
Posted by: numbered
Date: December 23, 2017 01:47PM
One manifestation of the Resistance is Indivisible, the group that came together based on the how-to resist book written by two ex Congressional staffers. It has morphed into the left wing equivalent of the Tea Party....

The measure of resistance will be the number of people in the streets when Trump fires Mueller.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 23, 2017 04:15PM
The democrats are facing a significant risk that in 2020 people may be better off than they were 4 years ago. They can't let that happen. They must resist.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 23, 2017 10:09PM
Lemon Drop

"The Resistance". It's interesting that you capitalized it. I had to Google the formal grammar terms for why this strikes me as sort of interesting. Is "the resistance" a collective - and therefore, common - noun, or is it a proper noun ("The Resistance")?

That's why I put it in quotation marks. Grammarians disagree about whether names of social and political movements should be capitalized. Civil Rights Era or civil rights era? You see both. I usually go with APA style, which says to capitalize it.

It's too early to tell how history will describe the movement to oppose the policies and presidency of Donald Trump, but "The Resistance" works for me.

Makes sense. Thanks for the background.

I think I'll stick with "the resistance" for now because in my sensibilities it carries a connotation of not being a particularly unified movement - not as unified as the Civil Rights movement. IOW, to my way of looking at it, the Civil Rights movement carries a connotation of something more unified than the resistance. Funny, though, I don't think of capitalizing the "gun rights" movement and it's pretty unified. Me and grammar have a capricious relationship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 10:10PM by Ted King.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 25, 2017 02:18PM
The 314 Science arm of the Resistance is recruiting scientists to run for office.

The Pro PR arm is also much more than online advocacy.

I’m now lobbying in DC myself - something I’d never do at this level before 45.
Posted by: DevoBill
Date: December 27, 2017 04:45PM
billb
The democrats are facing a significant risk that in 2020 people may be better off than they were 4 years ago. They can't let that happen. They must resist.

Exactly!

I want ambiguity, or possibly something else.
Posted by: max
Date: December 29, 2017 06:10PM
Pam
sekker
Yes, it’s real.

Very real. Anyone who says it's about sore losers isn't looking past the election like the rest of us and has no conception of the multiple threats to our country. It's not partisan. It's about country over party, protecting everything this country has worked so hard for. And the resistance will win. Rule of law will win. The damage will take years or decades to correct but we will do it.
Overdramatized bullcrap.
The country will do fine, there is nothing that Trump has done, or can do, that will not, or cannot, be redone over the period of subsequent administration. Just like we survived Obama's regime, the country will do OK under Trump.
And you have nobody to blame but yourself and your blind support of Obama. Elected to effect the Hope and Change, then providing neither. You failed to keep him accountable for that basic promise. Instead of piling excuses why he could not, you could have voted him out, reminding the next office holder that accountability matters.
You failed to support the best option for change that the country was begging for, Bernie Sanders, so you got the only other option left, now crying your crocodile because it did not go the way, the little, self entitled brats planned for. Now painting yourself into another set of delusional reality, "The Resistance".

Hillarious.....and pathetic...
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 29, 2017 11:38PM
max
Pam
sekker
Yes, it’s real.

Overdramatized bullcrap.
The country will do fine, there is nothing that Trump has done, or can do, that will not, or cannot, be redone over the period of subsequent administration. Just like we survived Obama's regime, the country will do OK under Trump.
And you have nobody to blame but yourself and your blind support of Obama. Elected to effect the Hope and Change, then providing neither. You failed to keep him accountable for that basic promise. Instead of piling excuses why he could not, you could have voted him out, reminding the next office holder that accountability matters.
You failed to support the best option for change that the country was begging for, Bernie Sanders, so you got the only other option left, now crying your crocodile because it did not go the way, the little, self entitled brats planned for. Now painting yourself into another set of delusional reality, "The Resistance".

Hillarious.....and pathetic...

I'm curious why you think anything on Bernie's list would have a chance of succeeding. I would think the GOP would have to fold altogether.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015