advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Bannon Says Trump Tower Meeting Was ‘Treasonous’ And ‘Unpatriotic’"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 03, 2018 09:28AM
[talkingpointsmemo.com]

This is a "clip" of the article but it is essentially the whole substance (so need to click to see if there is more):

Steve Bannon told author Michael Wolff that the meeting was “treasonous” and “unpatriotic,” according to The Guardian. Wolff spoke to Bannon for a book out next week titled “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House,” which The Guardian obtained early.

“Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad @#$%&, and I happen to think it’s all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately,” Bannon told Wolff in reference to the Trump Tower meeting, per The Guardian.

Bannon did not officially join the Trump campaign until about two months after that meeting.

He told Wolff that if the Trump campaign wanted to set up such a meeting, it should take place “in a Holiday Inn in Manchester, New Hampshire, with your lawyers who meet with these people.”

Bannon also predicted that special counsel Robert Mueller would focus on money laundering and would snag Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr.

“They’re going to crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV,” he told Wolff, according to The Guardian.

“This is all about money laundering. Mueller chose [senior prosecutor Andrew] Weissmann first and he is a money-laundering guy. Their path to @#$%& Trump goes right through Paul Manafort, Don Jr and Jared Kushner,” he added, per The Guardian. “It’s as plain as a hair on your face.”

I wonder how Trump feels about this.

Edit: I just got around to reading The Guardian article linked to in the TPM article. I think it's worth a read - there is a link to the article embedded in first sentence quoted above. Here is a sample:

Last month it was reported that federal prosecutors had subpoenaed records from Deutsche Bank, the German financial institution that has lent hundreds of millions of dollars to the Kushner property empire. Bannon continues: “It goes through Deutsche Bank and all the Kushner @#$%&. The Kushner @#$%& is greasy. They’re going to go right through that. They’re going to roll those two guys up and say play me or trade me.”

Scorning apparent White House insouciance, Bannon reaches for a hurricane metaphor: “They’re sitting on a beach trying to stop a Category Five.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 09:42AM by Ted King.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Bannon Says Trump Tower Meeting Was ‘Treasonous’ And ‘Unpatriotic’"
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 03, 2018 09:51AM
Kettle, Pot. Put Donnie and Stevie in the same cell and give them a spork and a Big Mac. See who survives.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 03, 2018 09:59AM
Yes Bannon is a bad person to have on the outside as your enemy. He clearly hates everyone in the White House, although he's using his Breitbart platform to try and discredit Mueller.

He's also just a really bad, horribly bigoted person. I can't take anything he says seriously. He wouldn't know patriotism if it bit him in the ass.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 03, 2018 10:17AM
Bannon says nothing without a purpose, so I'm guessing that he knows the desired WH reaction, and the attendant uproar.
Date: January 03, 2018 10:28AM
mrbigstuff
Bannon says nothing without a purpose, so I'm guessing that he knows the desired WH reaction, and the attendant uproar.

I certainly don't like much of anything about Bannon, but you hit on the thing that interested me about the article quoted in the OP - what will Trump and his supporters reaction to this be? I agree that it is likely that Bannon had some purpose in mind when he said those things. But what purpose? Is this part of some strategic plan? If so, it's hard to see what that is. Is his purpose as simple as just taking advantage of an opportunity to vent his feelings toward Trump's son and son-in-law?
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 03, 2018 10:47AM
Who's side is Bannon on? I can't believe the Trumpest will like his statements.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 03, 2018 10:48AM
Sounds to me like some preemptive ass-covering by Bannon. He is shocked, SHOCKED! to discover nefarious things went on in the Trump campaign.

RollingEyesSmiley5

PS - I would also take it to mean that the long Breitbart-pushed disinformation campaign may recently have been concluded to be unsuccessful in derailing Mueller. Rats off a sinking ship?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 10:51AM by pdq.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 03, 2018 11:09AM
samintx
Who's side is Bannon on? I can't believe the Trumpest will like his statements.

Make no mistake, the only side Bannon is on is Bannon's.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 03, 2018 11:44AM
Talking Points cut out the most interesting part of the quote regarding lawyers. Per the Guardian Bannon said:

"Bannon went on, Wolff writes, to say that if any such meeting had to take place, it should have been set up “in a Holiday Inn in Manchester, New Hampshire, with your lawyers who meet with these people”. Any information, he said, could then be “dump[ed] … down to Breitbart or something like that, or maybe some other more legitimate publication”.

Bannon added: “You never see it, you never know it, because you don’t need to …
But that’s the brain trust that they had.” "
In short, he isn't discussing the niceties of the law here. He's discussing how a competent, professional sleazebag leaks information that can hurt their enemies. The White House got rid of their best chance of being crooks without getting caught. HA ha.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 03, 2018 11:49AM

down to Breitbart or something like that, or maybe some other more legitimate publication

So he is admitting the Dead Coke Addict is somewhat less-than-legit?
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 03, 2018 12:06PM
Bannon also speculated that Trump Jr had involved his father in the meeting. “The chance that Don Jr did not walk these jumos up to his father’s office on the twenty-sixth floor is zero.”

This part seems especially harmful to Trumpo. He and his family must be in turmoil this morning.

The Fusion GPS story yesterday and now this today... It never ends with this President.

Northern California Coast
Date: January 03, 2018 12:08PM
pdq
Sounds to me like some preemptive ass-covering by Bannon.

Which it still may be, but I didn’t realize Bannon had a book coming out, and he’s probably on a publicity effort of some sort...which may (at least partially) explain “why now?”
Date: January 03, 2018 12:10PM
steve...
Bannon also speculated that Trump Jr had involved his father in the meeting. “The chance that Don Jr did not walk these jumos up to his father’s office on the twenty-sixth floor is zero.”

This part seems especially harmful to Trumpo. He and his family must be in turmoil this morning.

The Fusion GPS story yesterday and now this today... It never ends with this President.

Oh yeah, that quote is a doozy alright.
Date: January 03, 2018 12:19PM
Bannon is a horrible human being, but he knows how to stir the pot and he knows how to manipulate the truth to tell the story he wants it to. This could get interesting.

Posted by: mstudio
Date: January 03, 2018 12:38PM
pdq

I didn’t realize Bannon had a book coming out, and he’s probably on a publicity effort of some sort...which may (at least partially) explain “why now?”

I think Michael Wolff wrote the book, just interviewed Bannon.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 03, 2018 12:41PM
"Former White House aide Steve Bannon "lost his mind" after he lost his job at the White House, US President Donald Trump has said. "

Paul

Date: January 03, 2018 01:01PM
voodoopenguin
"Former White House aide Steve Bannon "lost his mind" after he lost his job at the White House, US President Donald Trump has said. "

Paul
Hilarous!
[www.nytimes.com]

Wow! The full statement is absolutely pathetic.
[www.cnbc.com]
I see Sarah Huckabee's hands all over this. Trump may have given her office talking points but the tone is pure Huckabee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 01:12PM by $tevie.
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 03, 2018 01:47PM
Speaking of Sarah, she's giving a press briefing a little after 3PM eastern. Will feathers fly?

Live Stream

Northern California Coast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 02:20PM by steve....
Date: January 03, 2018 02:45PM
Weasels don't have feathers.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 03, 2018 05:54PM
That's done it. I'm deleting my bookmark to Breitbart right now, unless Bannon apologizes to all the imbecilic Trump loonies, toot sweet!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 03, 2018 10:34PM
“Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my presidency,” Trump said. “When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind. Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating 17 candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party. Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn’t as easy as I make it look.”
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 03, 2018 11:20PM
Does anyone have a feeling this is a sort of staged conflict to distract, kind of like when Apple and Google were "fighting" all the time about iPhone/Android and other pettiness while routinely NOT stealing each others' employees - but Microsoft's were fair game? And the squabble sucked attention away from Windows phone and other Microsoft product initiatives. There was even a famous d'etente meeting between Jobs and Schmidt...
Date: January 04, 2018 12:19AM
Well, Trump’s lawyers have sent Bannon a cease-and-desist letter with a threat to sue for breaking the “no disparagement” agreement Trump makes everyone sign, and for talking to Wolff about “Mr. Trump, his family members, and the Company”.

Wolff, of course, was in the White House in plain sight of Trump this whole time - one wonders if Trump made him sign a “no disparagement” agreement.
Date: January 04, 2018 12:24AM
$tevie
Wow! The full statement is absolutely pathetic.
I see Sarah Huckabee's hands all over this. Trump may have given her office talking points but the tone is pure Huckabee.

$tevie is right as usual. Trump would have great difficulty crafting more than one coherent paragraph. Huckabee and Hicks wrote it, this article says.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 04, 2018 07:37AM
pdq
Well, Trump’s lawyers have sent Bannon a cease-and-desist letter with a threat to sue for breaking the “no disparagement” agreement Trump makes everyone sign, and for talking to Wolff about “Mr. Trump, his family members, and the Company”.

Wolff, of course, was in the White House in plain sight of Trump this whole time - one wonders if Trump made him sign a “no disparagement” agreement.

LOL @ "no disparagement" clause in a contract with a sitting PotUS.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 05, 2018 09:23PM
gabester
Does anyone have a feeling this is a sort of staged conflict to distract, kind of like when Apple and Google were "fighting" all the time about iPhone/Android and other pettiness while routinely NOT stealing each others' employees - but Microsoft's were fair game? And the squabble sucked attention away from Windows phone and other Microsoft product initiatives. There was even a famous d'etente meeting between Jobs and Schmidt...

I do like this theory!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Bo , btfc , jdc
Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015