advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
pay disparity for reshoots for 'All the Money in the World'......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2018 08:51AM
....Michelle Williams made less than $1,000 [ an $80 per diem ] for her work on the reshoots while Wahlberg walked away with a $1.5 million payday.....

......she is listed as a 'lead' in the film....Wahlberg is a 'supporting' character....

....so she made 1% less than he did.....she was nominated for her role in the film.....Wahlberg was not......

‘All the Money’ Reshoots: Everyone is Outraged Mark Wahlberg Earned $1.5 Million While Michelle Williams Made Less Than $1,000

.....Hours after reports started breaking that Mark Wahlberg earned more money than Michelle Williams for the reshoots on Ridley Scott’s “All the Money in the World,” USA Today confirmed the rumors by revealing that Williams made less than $1,000 for her work on the reshoots while Wahlberg walked away with a $1.5 million payday. Those numbers mean Williams was paid less than 1% the amount that her co-star earned.

Hours after reports started breaking that Mark Wahlberg earned more money than Michelle Williams for the reshoots on Ridley Scott’s “All the Money in the World,” USA Today confirmed the rumors by revealing that Williams made less than $1,000 for her work on the reshoots while Wahlberg walked away with a $1.5 million payday. Those numbers mean Williams was paid less than 1% the amount that her co-star earned.

In a December interview with USA Today, Scott said that Wahlberg and Williams “came in for free” and agreed to reshoot their scenes opposite Plummer for no money. Williams at the time said she didn’t hesitate to agree to the reshoots.

“I said I’d be wherever they needed me, whenever they needed me,” Williams said. “And they could have my salary, they could have my holiday, whatever they wanted. Because I appreciated so much that they were making this massive effort.”

Three people familiar with the situation but not authorized to speak publicly confirmed to USA Today the actual reshoot salaries for Wahlberg and Williams. Film journalists and fans have reacted with outrage online following the revelation, noting that the entire movie falls on the shoulders of Williams. Many have noted that Williams even received a Golden Globe nomination for her work.

“Please go see Michelle’s performance in ‘All The Money in The World,'” Jessica Chastain tweeted after hearing the news. “She’s a brilliant, Oscar-nominated, Golden-Globe winning actress. She has been in the industry for 20 years. She deserves more than 1% of her male costar’s salary.”

Chastain is hardly the only person reacting in shock to the pay difference between Wahlberg and Williams. Many people have noted that both actors are represented by WME and are appalled the agency didn’t ensure Williams was paid the same as her co-star.

that is a huge.......difference........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 09:06AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: pay disparity for reshoots for 'All the Money in the World'......
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 10, 2018 09:42AM
Yeah there are big pay disparities between male and female actors that need to be addressed.

This one is a little odd - Williams apparently said she'd do the reshoots for free, which the Screen Actor's Guild wouldn't allow, so it sounds like she was paid minimum actor wages. Wahlberg went for his full normal pay. Sounds like Williams maybe should've said "sure I'll do this for free because the principle (around removing Kevin Spacey) is so important, but if Wahlberg is getting paid I want the same as him? Movies are a for-profit business, they will keep expenses as low as possible if not required to do otherwise....

This is still crappy and shouldn't have happened.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 10, 2018 10:04AM
"Let's negotiate your pay."

"I'll do it for free."

"And we're done here."
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 10, 2018 10:16AM
Was there also a disparity in their original salaries for the film? Right now all I can find are articles about the reshoot discrepancy.

Lux Interior
"Let's negotiate your pay."

"I'll do it for free."

"And we're done here."
I’ve read one report where she was quoted as actually volunteering to return her original salary to help finance the reshoot if necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 10:30AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 10, 2018 10:46AM
She was told everyone was doing it for free, and she agreed to also do it for free. Turns out Wahlberg, or at least his agent, asked for his normal rate. Maybe this was an underhanded way to intentionally short Williams and save money. Maybe It was an innocent foulup. Going forward actors should get everything in writing, including a salary if the free claim turns out to be bogus.
Date: January 10, 2018 10:50AM
....they are both with the same agency.....but Mark Wahlberg also produced 'Entourage' so perhaps they view he has more 'pull' than she does, as that would have give the agency more fees.....so if someone brings in more money, they get better service....???

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 10, 2018 11:26AM
NewtonMP2100
....they are both with the same agency.....but Mark Wahlberg also produced 'Entourage' so perhaps they view he has more 'pull' than she does, as that would have give the agency more fees.....so if someone brings in more money, they get better service....???

You would think that the agency would want a cut of something more than $1000?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 10, 2018 12:25PM
NewtonMP2100

being with the same agency doesn't mean you have the same agent. the William Morris Agency probably has upwards of 30 or more hundreds of agents and it's doubtful they always compare notes.

this kerfuffle strikes me more as part of the negotiation game. Williams told her agent she was willing to do it for next to nothing to help out. Wahlberg or his agent realized the studio was in a jam and seized upon the opportunity to cash in. in this case i think it had little to do with gender. it's just business as usual. in the future actors will negotiate with a 'i do it if XXX is doing it for this amount' clause if they have enough boxy.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 12:32PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 10, 2018 10:29PM
Of course, it doesn't matter that Movies starring Markie have made BILLIONs, while Michelle Phillips is a fine actress, she's no movie star (by Hollywood standards)

As has been stated above, movies are not charities, and reshoots are not free. Sound like she chose badly. Its just another job for Mark.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: January 11, 2018 06:17AM
.....or is it a case of deception.....they talk to her first and plead with her....she say she will for free.....then they talk to Mark and his agent takes over....

......his movies make more but they mostly suck......and he is an adequate actor at most.....Dad's Home.....blech....the Transformers junk from Michael Bay....blech.....

....he made a few 'good' movies but even a broken clock tells the correct time now and then.....

......even multiple oscar nominated actresses like Meryl Streep or Glen Close don't make as much as top 'box office' champ males........

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 11, 2018 11:31AM
NewtonMP2100

......even multiple oscar nominated actresses like Meryl Streep or Glen Close don't make as much as top 'box office' champ males........

Or, from what I’ve been reading, top box office champ females.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015