advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
another one bites the dust?!....California Rep. Darrell Issa retiring.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2018 10:24AM
....boy, Trump is driving all these people to just leave....

California GOP Rep. Darrell Issa will retire, giving Democrats another chance to win a seat

....Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Ca., will not seek re-election later this year, opening up another battleground in the deep blue state as Republicans and Democrats spar for control of the House.

Issa's decision to leave Congress follows the announced retirement of Rep. Ed Royce, R-Ca., earlier this week. He announced the move in a statement on Wednesday.

"While my service to California's 49th District will be coming to an end, I will continue advocating on behalf of the causes that are most important to me, advancing public policy where I believe I can make a true and lasting difference, and continuing the fight to make our incredible nation an even better place to call home," Issa said in the statement.

His decision to leave opens up an opportunity for Democrats in one of the American states most friendly to the party. Issa, who joined Congress in 2001, only narrowly got re-elected to his seat in California's 49th Congressional District in 2016. In the presidential race, Hillary Clinton won his district by 7 percentage points.

Democrats see numerous chances to pick up seats and potentially gain control of the House, partly driven by President Donald Trump's low approval ratings. Democrats have led Republicans by more than 10 points in an average of recent ballots that ask voters to choose between a generic member of both parties in 2018, according to RealClearPolitics.

Republicans hold a 239 to 193 seat advantage in the House. Three seats are empty after member resignations.

Issa, who was a businessman before he entered politics, consistently ranked as one of the wealthiest members of Congress.

say goodbye...........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: another one bites the dust?!....California Rep. Darrell Issa retiring.....
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 10, 2018 10:30AM
Wow. This is great news for Democrats.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 10, 2018 10:41AM
This can't just be about Trump. These guys know things we don't. My guess is they hope they get out in time to save their own backsides.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 10, 2018 10:49AM
Youssa say Issa no in congress?

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 10, 2018 11:07AM
Thank you, Lux.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 10, 2018 11:24AM
Steve G.
Thank you, Lux.

Meesa do what Issa can.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 10, 2018 12:45PM
I don't think it was Trump. He won his district by only a handful of votes. He was about to get thumped out of office. He spared himself the humiliation. He's already mega-wealthy so now he'll get wealthier.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 10, 2018 12:56PM
I would guess that a lot of these guys want to get out there sucking on the corporate @#$%& before the backlash occurs and the Dems come back to ruin the party with their tiresome regulations.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 10, 2018 01:40PM
Here's some background on the Dem who nearly defeated Issa last fall, Marine Col. Doug Applegate. He's likely to win the Dem primary in June.

As a Marine Colonel serving around the world and a civilian trial attorney, I have a proven record spanning four decades. I grew up in a hardworking, middle-class, blue-collar family and was the first Applegate to graduate from college. Joining the Marines months before Saigon fell, I became an infantry officer and, later, a Judge Advocate. My values come from my parents. My mom owned a neighborhood convenience store and later was an insurance agent. My father, a World War II veteran twice wounded in the Battle of the Bulge, worked a bread route and served as a union GM plant security officer.

[www.applegateforcongress.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 10, 2018 02:24PM
Lemon Drop
Here's some background on the Dem who nearly defeated Issa last fall, Marine Col. Doug Applegate. He's likely to win the Dem primary in June.

As a Marine Colonel serving around the world and a civilian trial attorney, I have a proven record spanning four decades. I grew up in a hardworking, middle-class, blue-collar family and was the first Applegate to graduate from college. Joining the Marines months before Saigon fell, I became an infantry officer and, later, a Judge Advocate. My values come from my parents. My mom owned a neighborhood convenience store and later was an insurance agent. My father, a World War II veteran twice wounded in the Battle of the Bulge, worked a bread route and served as a union GM plant security officer.

[www.applegateforcongress.com]

Sounds like the person for the job.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 10, 2018 02:41PM
Some stuff I didn't know about Issa:

The man Republican House Speaker John Boehner put in charge of investigating government wrongdoing was himself indicted for stealing a car, accused of stealing at least one other car, arrested for carrying a concealed weapon, and twice suspected of insurance fraud – and once extensively investigated by authorities for arson, because his former business associates accused him, on the record, of burning down a building to collect the insurance payout.

...There was particular attention to his indictment for grand theft when he reported his Mercedes stolen after his brother William sold it; William had earlier obtained the right to do so from his brother. The two men had different stories for a while, and authorities believed they’d conspired to sell the car, report a “theft” and collect insurance on it.

(I personally think the arson investigation was even more damning: An Issa colleague gave investigators vivid detail that indicated his car-alarm factory had been intentionally torched, after Issa increased his insurance from $100,000 to $462,000. “Quite frankly,” Joey Adkins told authorities, “I feel the man set the fire.” But the local fire marshal never determined the fire’s cause.)

Well, at least he has a career to return to. ROTFL
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2018 02:47PM
....no wonder he went into politics......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 10, 2018 05:29PM
Oh, ouch, the Atlantic Magazine's political newsletter headlined the email "Issa Nother Retirement". eye twitch smiley

Posted by: bfd
Date: January 10, 2018 07:07PM
Issa's office was the weekly gathering point (since Dumbf was elected) for North County Democrats. They were relentless. It's clear they had some affect on the outcome. Keep in mind, however, that he's not gone yet. He can still do plenty of damage before the fall election, but at least he's out after that. Next on the agenda is one Duncan "D" Hunter, son of a … former congressman named Duncan "L" Hunter. (yes the L was obviously for loser). He's remembered for his check kiting in the House of Representatives' Bank… His son is now being investigated for spending campaign contributions for personal expenses - such as flying a pet rabbit from DC back home. LOFL In fact, he was just subpoenaed by the Grand jury on this very criminal investigation today:

[www.sandiegouniontribune.com]

He could well be on his way out the door with Issa.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 11, 2018 06:44AM
Issa also lost his chairmanship of his appropriations subcommittee - now he's a nobody in Congress. BORING! Retirement time!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015