advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Canada believes that Trump pulls out.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2018 02:07PM
.....will pull out of NAFTA.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 02:07PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Canada believes that Trump pulls out.....
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 10, 2018 02:16PM
Considering the fact that during his campaign he constantly told us he was going to do that, I wouldn't exactly call the Canadians Sherlock Holmes on this one.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 10, 2018 02:27PM
The unbelievable effect on the US economy will be staggeringly BAD.

Will no one rid us of this troublesome buffoon?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 10, 2018 02:31PM
How can they possibly know anything? God knows he doesn't have an actual plan.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 10, 2018 02:49PM
Too bad Fred didn't.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2018 02:51PM
....Right Said....Fred.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 10, 2018 07:28PM
cbelt3
The unbelievable effect on the US economy will be staggeringly BAD.

What? You wanted a U.S. auto industry? Not if TRUMP can help it!

Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 10, 2018 08:39PM
If Obama had negotiated NAFTA, Trump would for sure withdraw from it. But Bill Clinton signed NAFTA into law, so getting rid of it to spite the Clintons makes it really tempting for Trump. If he is still capable of thinking strategically, he could try to leverage the threat of pulling out of NAFTA to get Mexico to pay for the wall (I wish I could say that that was facetious). If the nativists get restless, he would probably do just about anything to assuage them, even if it hurt the general interests of the country.

If Trump pulled the US out of NAFTA before the elections, every Republican running for office will be asked if they agree. I suspect that is not a question that many Republicans running for House seats want to get into this election cycle. My guess is that they are cautioning Trump not to go at that before the election. I don't think he is particularly tuned to their voices, though (except for the obsequious ones - which seems to be a growing list - and they won't tell him anything he doesn't want to hear).

But if this article is correct, Trump's legal authority to withdraw from NAFTA without Congressional approval may be somewhat murky:

Trump might not have the lawful authority to yank the United States out of the agreement—it’s a matter of debate. Many experts believe that, under Section 125 of the Trade Act of 1974, the president possesses the authority to unilaterally withdraw from trade agreements, including NAFTA. But it’s somewhat uncharted legal territory, and not all agree. Since Congress enacted NAFTA’s provisions by passing a federal law called the Implementation Act, Johnson argues, which doesn’t grant the president the power to withdraw from NAFTA unilaterally, he can’t act on his own. “Since NAFTA was approved by Congress under the authority expressly granted to Congress under the Commerce Clause, it follows that only Congress has the power to reverse that approval and cause the United States to withdraw from NAFTA,” he concludes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015