advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Evangelical pastor in Memphis admits to sexually assaulting teen...
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 10, 2018 02:55PM
...gets standing ovation.

After Jules Woodson posted a detailed allegation that her then-pastor, Andy Savage, sexually assaulted her as a teenager, the pastor admitted to a “sexual incident” with a high school student in a message on the church’s website. He did not name Woodson in the statement.

Woodson wrote that while Savage was driving her home, he pulled into an isolated area before parking the car. He then exposed himself to Woodson before having her perform oral sex on him and fondling her breasts, she said.

“In hindsight, I see more could have been done for Jules,” Savage told the Highpoint congregation on Sunday. “I am truly sorry more was not done. Until now I did not know there was unfinished business with Jules. So today, I say, Jules I am deeply sorry for my actions 20 years ago.”

His remarks were followed by a 20-second standing ovation.

RollingEyesSmiley5

Well, at least he didn't agree to pose for a picture with her and grab her waist.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Evangelical pastor in Memphis admits to sexually assaulting teen...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 10, 2018 03:03PM
Well, at least he's Good with God!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2018 03:06PM
.....LOVETT:
It's priest. Have a little priest.

TODD:
Is it really good?

LOVETT:
Sir, it's too good, at least!
Then again, they don't commit sins of the flesh,
So it's pretty fresh.

TODD:
Awful lot of fat.

LOVETT:
Only where it sat....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 10, 2018 04:20PM
When you are in a pastor-penitent situation the pastor has a legal duty to not take advantage of the penitent, at least in my state. Same for doctor-patient, etc.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Janit
Date: January 10, 2018 05:51PM
Speedy
When you are in a pastor-penitent situation the pastor has a legal duty to not take advantage of the penitent, at least in my state. Same for doctor-patient, etc.

I don't think that "pastor-penitent" is the correct term for the relationship, situation, or denomination here. Perhaps pastor-congregant would be better. Somehow the use of "penitent" has too much of an undertone suggesting that the girl had done something wrong.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 10, 2018 06:01PM
The term is “person in a position of authority “. And he should burn for it, not be applauded. His church members are fools. Sure Jesus forgave. But he didn’t forget.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 10, 2018 06:19PM
I've heard of this happening before; the standing ovation.
Date: January 10, 2018 07:14PM
cbelt3
The term is “person in a position of authority “. And he should burn for it, not be applauded. His church members are fools. Sure Jesus forgave. But he didn’t forget.

Yes!
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 10, 2018 07:15PM
The idiot was lucky this wasn't a standing ovulation… otherwise he'd be complaining about having to pay child support. Complete @#$%&.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 07:16PM by bfd.
Date: January 10, 2018 07:15PM
bfd
The idiot was lucky this wasn't a standing ovulation… otherwise he'd be complaining about having to pay child support. Complete @#$%&.

smiley-laughing001
Date: January 11, 2018 06:52AM
Janit
Speedy

I don't think that "pastor-penitent" is the correct term for the relationship, situation, or denomination here. Perhaps pastor-congregant would be better. Somehow the use of "penitent" has too much of an undertone suggesting that the girl had done something wrong.

The concept of 'penitent' doesn't have an UNDERTONE of sin - it's meant to remind you that YOU ARE AN UNCLEAN SINNER IN NEED OF SALVATION.

The easily violable trust of a penitent is a structural feature of the church, not a simple matter of word choice.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 11, 2018 07:54AM
Janit
...too much of an undertone suggesting that the girl had done something wrong.

She allowed the devil to possess her and tempt an innocent man!
Date: January 11, 2018 09:51AM
rjmacs
Janit
Speedy

The concept of 'penitent' doesn't have an UNDERTONE of sin - it's meant to remind you that YOU ARE AN UNCLEAN SINNER IN NEED OF SALVATION.

The easily violable trust of a penitent is a structural feature of the church, not a simple matter of word choice.

Yes, but the particular event under discussion did not involve a "penitent," and that was the wrong term for the relationship. I used the word "undertone" because I have the academic habit of understatement. The use of the inaccurate word "penitent" cast an implication on the relationship that was not correct and therefore made the discussion more murky rather than more clear.

"Pastor-penitent" obligations are usually discussed in the context of a Catholic priest's obligation to treat conversations in the "confessional" as confidences to be protected. Yes confessions could conceivably abused by priests for sexual purposes, but that is not what happened here.

Because of this, I agree with cbelt's post that the more general term “person in a position of authority “ is the correct term for the situation.
Date: January 11, 2018 11:11AM
Janit
Yes, but the particular event under discussion did not involve a "penitent," and that was the wrong term for the relationship. I used the word "undertone" because I have the academic habit of understatement. The use of the inaccurate word "penitent" cast an implication on the relationship that was not correct and therefore made the discussion more murky rather than more clear.

"Pastor-penitent" obligations are usually discussed in the context of a Catholic priest's obligation to treat conversations in the "confessional" as confidences to be protected. Yes confessions could conceivably abused by priests for sexual purposes, but that is not what happened here.

Because of this, I agree with cbelt's post that the more general term “person in a position of authority “ is the correct term for the situation.

Good points, all. Legally, this is just a good old fashioned sexual assault perpetrated by one private citizen on another, way beyond the statute of limitations and apparently beyond the moral horizon of his flock.

I hope she successfully sues the church into bankruptcy.

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015