advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Quickie mart busts by ICE
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 10, 2018 03:23PM
Saving us from the foreign hordes...

ICE said its agents showed up at 98 stores and made 21 arrests, describing the operation as a warning to other companies who may have unauthorized workers on their payroll.

“Businesses that hire illegal workers are a pull factor for illegal immigration and we are working hard to remove this magnet,” Homan’s statement said. “ICE will continue its efforts to protect jobs for American workers by eliminating unfair competitive advantages for companies that exploit illegal immigration.”

Yeah, because there are soo many US workers that are clamoring to work at these all-night shooting galleries.

RollingEyesSmiley5
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Quickie mart busts by ICE
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 10, 2018 03:27PM
...which makes me wonder...is this guy naturalized?
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 10, 2018 03:37PM
But Trump is only going for all of those criminals!
Posted by: hal
Date: January 10, 2018 03:38PM
A DACA deal must be imminent.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 10, 2018 09:46PM
pdq
Saving us from the foreign hordes...

ICE said its agents showed up at 98 stores and made 21 arrests, describing the operation as a warning to other companies who may have unauthorized workers on their payroll.

“Businesses that hire illegal workers are a pull factor for illegal immigration and we are working hard to remove this magnet,” Homan’s statement said. “ICE will continue its efforts to protect jobs for American workers by eliminating unfair competitive advantages for companies that exploit illegal immigration.”

Yeah, because there are soo many US workers that are clamoring to work at these all-night shooting galleries.

RollingEyesSmiley5

I know one of my brothers isn't. 25-30 years ago he was working as a manager at a convenience store one evening. Had something thrown in his face during a robbery, fortunately he was not permanently blinded. Just couldn't see for a week or so.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 10, 2018 10:20PM
pdq

Careful there!
[www.salon.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 10, 2018 11:00PM
I feel safer

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 11, 2018 06:50AM
pdq

No - THAT guy is a preposterous, racist clown created by a white guy with voice talent:

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 11, 2018 07:05AM
Pam

The standard response to that is that they broke the law entering the country illegally.
Date: January 11, 2018 07:21AM
Lux Interior
Pam

The standard response to that is that they broke the law entering the country illegally.

It's not a criminal act simply to be in the country without documentation. You can't know, entering a 7-11, how the people inside came to the U.S. Racism doesn't care, though!

rj
AKA
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 11, 2018 09:38AM
rjmacs
It's not a criminal act simply to be in the country without documentation.

I get your point, but I'm not sure that statement is universally correct.
In some circumstances, true; in other circumstances, not.
Date: January 11, 2018 11:06AM
DeusxMac
rjmacs

In other words, you need to add conditions in addition to simply being in the country without documentation in order to determine if a criminal act has been committed?

Yeah - that's what I said.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 11, 2018 11:38AM
Your turn in the cattle cars is coming.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 11, 2018 11:43AM
rjmacs
DeusxMac
rjmacs

In other words, you need to add conditions in addition to simply being in the country without documentation in order to determine if a criminal act has been committed?

But those "conditions" aren't "added" after the person's arrival; they already existed and establish the legality of the person's status.
Posted by: Janit
Date: January 11, 2018 02:02PM
DeusxMac
rjmacs
DeusxMac
rjmacs

But those "conditions" aren't "added" after the person's arrival; they already existed and establish the legality of the person's status.

Please be more specific here. Under what circumstances is being in the country without documentation a crime in and of itself?
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 11, 2018 02:22PM
Janit
DeusxMac
rjmacs
DeusxMac
rjmacs

Please be more specific here. Under what circumstances is being in the country without documentation a crime in and of itself?

The crime is the act of entering the country from what I've heard, not the lack of documentation.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 11, 2018 02:32PM
Politifact:

Unlawful presence is neither a felony nor a misdemeanor, said Ilya Shapiro, a senior fellow in constitutional studies at the libertarian Cato Institute. It is a civil infraction that results in removal and a bar on re-entry for a certain period of time.

"Not everything that’s illegal — meaning against the law or violating the law — is a crime," Shapiro said. "There are civil violations, like when you get a parking ticket. ‘Unlawful presence’ is one of these. You don't go to jail or receive any other criminal punishment for being in the country illegally — you get deported."

Gabriel (Jack) Chin, a professor and director of clinical legal education at the University of California-Davis law school, echoed this analysis.

"It is not a crime to be present in the United States without authorization, such as by overstaying a visa," Chin said. "But such a person is subject to being deported."

That said, it’s also important to distinguish between "unlawful presence" and "unlawful entry," said Kermit Roosevelt, a University of Pennsylvania law professor. Improper entry by an alien is indeed a misdemeanor, Roosevelt said.

This distinction can make the use of these terms tricky.

For instance, an undocumented immigrant who entered the United States improperly would have committed a crime. However, once that person is here, the simple act of being in the United States unlawfully is not by itself a crime.

"It is a crime to cross the border other than as designated by immigration officials, but there is no separate crime for being unlawfully present in the United States," Chin said.

Another example of illegal entry would be if an individual is found in the United States after previously having been deported.

"Unlawful re-entry after a deportation order can be a federal crime, depending on circumstances," Taylor said.
Date: January 12, 2018 08:04AM
Thanks, Ted. Good reference.

Make sense, Janit?

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015