advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The North Carolina redistricting situation in a single picture
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 10, 2018 04:17PM

Hardly a -mander at all; more like a gerry-snake.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The North Carolina redistricting situation in a single picture
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 10, 2018 04:22PM
I bet it looks legit to Gorsuch.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 10, 2018 04:29PM
To be fair, Maryland looks just as absurd and we are as blue as blue can be. Some of the reasons can be population (MD's Eastern Shore is rural so it takes a lot of geography to encompass the same population as a smaller district on the other side of the Bay; Western MD is also rural). Some of it is racial. Some of it is political. The result is a dog's dinner.

Date: January 10, 2018 04:35PM
As long as we're talking about maps, here's another interesting one. In July, the Dept of Interior asked state governors on whether they'd like to have their state coastline included or excluded from the proposed drilling expansion:

Green for "go" - Alaska, Maine and most of the deep south: Yeah! Yee-haw!
Red light - The entire (continental) Pacific and the saner parts of the Atlantic seaboard: Um, no thank you.
Strangely silent: New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Florida.

Guess which one got exempted?

Why? Because that state "is unique, and its coasts are heavily reliant on tourism as an economic driver."

RollingEyesSmiley5

(PS- sorry for all the eye rolling today, but with this administration, I can't help it!)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 10, 2018 04:53PM
The fact that this man can be so openly corrupt, self-centered, and incompetent without anybody who voted for him (nor anyone in the GOP Congress) minding one bit is indeed a reason for near-constant eye rolling.
RollingEyesSmiley5 RollingEyesSmiley5 RollingEyesSmiley5 RollingEyesSmiley5 RollingEyesSmiley5 RollingEyesSmiley5

Posted by: Acer
Date: January 10, 2018 04:58PM
pdq

Why? Because that state "is unique, and its coasts are heavily reliant on tourism as an economic driver."

My mental picture of Florida is "beach." I think of the rest of the Gulf coast as "industrial wasteland." I wonder why that is.
Date: January 10, 2018 05:10PM
Acer
pdq

My mental picture of Florida is "beach." I think of the rest of the Gulf coast as "industrial wasteland." I wonder why that is.

Heh.

Also, from the link:

California’s attorney general, Xavier Becerra, immediately objected. “California is also "unique" and our "coasts are heavily reliant on tourism as an economic driver,"" Becerra said in a statement that parroted Zinke. “Our "local and state voice" is firmly opposed to any and all offshore drilling. If that’s your standard, we, too, should be removed from your list. Immediately.”

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. Don't mistake what this crew says as actual reasoning, cause it's not.
Date: January 10, 2018 05:26PM
Back to North Carolina - this is what the districts looked like in '73-'82:

and the one I posted above is apparently the one that was thrown out in court in 2016 (specifically because of the 1st and 12th districts). Here it is in a similar style:

So the Republicans apparently said, heck, we can do this all day, and came up with yet another gerrymandered map that is the one being thrown out now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015