advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Supreme Court case...will be interesting decision
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 11, 2018 08:56AM
[www.npr.org]

I have never heard of laws like this. Have you? Your state?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Supreme Court case...will be interesting decision
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 11, 2018 09:13AM
It will be interesting to see how our Originalists pretzel-logic their way into justifying burying voting rights under layers of arbitrary bureaucracy.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 11, 2018 09:16AM
>"I've earned the right to vote," the Navy veteran said. "Whether I use it or not is up to my personal discretion. They don't take away my right to buy a gun if I don't buy a gun."

Good point.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 11, 2018 09:25AM
So, they’re all arguing over a basic database issue. If only there were machines that could hold such information and share it with other machines. Gee.

The entire idea of sending out mailers to see if someone is alive and/or “a voter” as a way of keeping voter rolls accurate is just bizarre.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 11, 2018 10:49AM
deckeda
So, they’re all arguing over a basic database issue. If only there were machines that could hold such information and share it with other machines. Gee.

The entire idea of sending out mailers to see if someone is alive and/or “a voter” as a way of keeping voter rolls accurate is just bizarre.

If the purpose of all this was to keep voter rolls accurate it would be bizarre. But that's not the purpose.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 11, 2018 11:06AM
The Ohio law will be upheld. Look at the makeup of the "non-partisan" court. If Garland would have been confirmed, then it would be an interesting case, but with Gorsuch on the bench, it is a given as to what will happen. It will get worse, just wait for someone to challenge Roe v. Wade.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 11, 2018 11:16AM

Does the NVRA contain any prohibitions on removal of persons’ names from the voter registration list?

Yes. Section 8 of the NVRA prohibits removing registrants from the voter registration list solely because of a failure to vote. It also places restrictions of notice and timing on removals from the voter registration list based on a change of residence.
[www.justice.gov]

That sounds pretty clear to me.

On the other hand, here in Maryland if the P.O. returns your sample ballot as undeliverable, the state sends a post card for you to affirm that you still live there. If you don't return the card within two weeks, and subsequently fail to vote for two federal elections, you fall off the rolls.

So it sounds like some states may have designed this card feature as a work-around for not being allowed to purge you simply for failure to vote? Seems illegal to me.

(PS: hasn't that veteran heard of absentee ballots?)

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 11, 2018 02:06PM
The state shouldn't take someone off the voting rolls if they have a valid drivers license/state ID card for that address. I don't see a problem with removing people if they haven't voted in two successive presidential elections (and all the elections in between) and can't verify they live at an address.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 11, 2018 02:08PM
What's scary reading about this is comments (from the Supremes, or the lawyers, or someone else, I don't remember) that some question whether there really is a "right to vote".
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 11, 2018 11:24PM
pdq
What's scary reading about this is comments (from the Supremes, or the lawyers, or someone else, I don't remember) that some question whether there really is a "right to vote".

SO MUCH A THOUSAND TIMES THIS. The United States of America... founded on the self evident truths of humankind's right to self-selected representation in a democratically elected Republic.

Apparently these learned legal folks forget about taxation without representation?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 11:25PM by gabester.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 12, 2018 04:00AM
Sorry, but there is no explicit Constitutional guarantee of the right to vote.

[www.politifact.com]

[democracyjournal.org]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 12, 2018 07:54AM
Sam3
Sorry, but there is no explicit Constitutional guarantee of the right to vote.

[www.politifact.com]

[democracyjournal.org]

This, while a cute bar story, has little to no effect on the actual legal right to vote.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 07:54AM by rjmacs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015