advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Just another family values Republican
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 11, 2018 10:23AM
...and "rising star":

A Democrat-turned-Republican, Greitens was elected governor in November 2016 after a campaign that emphasized his status as a family man. Greitens and his wife have two children. “I’m Eric Greitens,” he said during the campaign. “I’m a Navy SEAL, native Missourian and most importantly, a proud husband and father.

Yeah, not so much. Turns out the previous year, in March of 2015, when his wife was expecting (or had just delivered) their child, the Honerable Guv was carrying on an affair... with his (married) hairdresser.

The extramarital relationship itself, however, may have been the least explosive part of the story.

More unusual was what she purportedly said in a recording made surreptitiously by the woman’s jealous ex-husband, which the station played.

In it, she can be heard telling how Greitens invited her to his home in 2015. Once she arrived, he told her he would show her how to do pull-ups, taped her hands to exercise rings and blindfolded her, all with her consent.

Then, to her shock, she alleged, he snapped photographs of her naked and threatened to distribute the pictures if she revealed the relationship.

Y'know, normal things that family-values Republicans do in Missouri. I'm glad he found what seems to be the right party affiliation for him.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just another family values Republican
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 11, 2018 10:30AM
Americans love a repentant sinner.RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 11, 2018 10:53AM
samintx
Americans Religious conservatives love a religious conservative repentant sinner.

FTFY
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: January 11, 2018 11:10AM
I would have done the exact same thing.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 11, 2018 11:43AM
Kraniac
I would have done the exact same thing.

Repented or used electrical tape?
Date: January 11, 2018 02:02PM
You know, I don't really care so much that this guy had what sounds like a (mostly) consensual affair - putting aside the allegations of blackmail.

It's just the stunning hypocrisy of the "family values" crowd, and the feeling that there is an incredible double standard here.

I was counting at least 4 Republican governors in recent memory that had had affairs (that came to light! who knows how many didn't-). There's this guy Greitens, Robert Bentley from Alabama, Mark "hiking the Appalachian Trail" Sanford, and of course, Schwartzenegger, who fathered a child with his married housecleaner. Sanfod lost his gig as guv: now he's in the House. If Schwartzenegger ran for office in a Red state or district, I'm sure he'd be elected.

Among Dems, creeps like Weiner are serving time (for sexting) and Al Franken's political career is over for (allegedly) being too friendly in rehearsals and in requested photos. And maybe that's appropriate; I won't argue that, when legitimate misbehavior has occurred, it ought to somehow be given a pass. I'd rather be on the side where this kind of stuff isn't winked at.

But man! The hypocrisy of not only the perps, but their supporters who claim to support "morality" and "family values"...it's just stunning. In case anyone had any doubt, it's not morality, and hasn't been for awhile. It's just tribalism.
Date: January 11, 2018 02:30PM
By the way, you remember Blake Fahrenthold, Republican House member and party-guy-in-ducky-pjs from Texas?

You may recall he settled a sexual harrassment case with one of his office staff with taxpayer money...but when that came to light, he said he didn't do anything wrong, but of course he would repay it. In fact, he said he would probably send a check to Paul Ryan "this week".

That was December 4. The check is apparently still in the mail.

Probably just that @#$%& US postal Service.
Date: January 11, 2018 02:52PM
The latest on Greitens:

The woman who had an affair with Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens in 2015 told her then-husband that Greitens slapped her after she told Greitens she had had sex with her husband.

Sounds like a great guy.
Date: January 11, 2018 05:16PM
FWIW, evangelical "Christians" are not the only ones who place fealty to the tribe above morals:

Greitens is slated to speak in Las Vegas in February to the Republican Jewish Coalition — along with Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and other GOP luminaries — for what is described as a "weekend of politics, policy and poker at the fabulous Venetian/Palazzo Resort and Hotel."

"Eric is family to the RJC and as such our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this difficult time," [the organization’s executive director] Matt Brooks said...

At other sites, they note that

...Republicans were happy that Greitens signed long-standing priorities into law, including making it harder for people to file employment discrimination lawsuits. He also signed "right to work,"...[and] shut down a popular tax incentive to cultivate low-income housing. His campaign staffers [also] set up a politically-active nonprofit that doesn't disclose its donors...

Yup. All those sound like (Republican) "family values" to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018