advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
A Week without the President
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 11, 2018 07:41PM
I think the time has come for the media to put their money where their mouths are.

Do not cover a tweet.
Do not cover what he's doing.
Do not cover an executive order.
Do not cover the inane, human-hating words that come out of his mouth.

There is plenty of other news about this Administration and this Congress; if they have to talk about him do so obliquely only as "The President" or "The 45th President of the United States" but not by his name.

Here we are with so many pressing issues to discuss in our country; Congress needs to come to some serious agreements to avoid a shutdown. We shouldn't be talking about the racism that has consumed the highest office in the land in shame.

I challenge the media to, for one week, black him out.

Do this every time he crosses a line of propriety and conduct we expect of our leadership.

Let's see how long he can keep it up after that.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A Week without the President
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 11, 2018 08:08PM
It's good ratings, at least until everybody changes the channel every time he is on.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 11, 2018 08:24PM
THAT ain't gonna happen. No way. No how.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 11, 2018 08:36PM
Tomorrow's NY Daily News front page is much more fitting
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 11, 2018 10:03PM
Speaking as a retiree of the mainstream media, that is not how reporting works. What the president does is news whether you agree or not. You don't judge whether it is right, you simply report what is happening. The current issue is that Trump doesn't like when the MSM reports what is happening - that is Trumps problem not the media's.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 11, 2018 10:16PM
I wish Ombligio. Because "this" applies every single day without fail.

Date: January 11, 2018 11:05PM
I honestly think it's reached saturation point. There's just too much coverage of him, too often. When he says things like today's particularly base but unsurprising exclamation, there have to be consequences.

A very effective consequence would be - were the media to grow some stones and stick together on reporting something big like this - to black him out as a punishment.

He's a child doing anything for attention. And when he does something bad, he does something even worse to cover it up. For example juxtapose today's early FISA tweets with the s-hole racism later in the afternoon. I'm sure his lunchtime briefing indicated he was getting flack for the FISA contradictions, so as he usually does in these circumstances he covers up bad publicity with worse.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 12, 2018 06:48AM
Ombligo
that is not how reporting works. What the president does is news whether you agree or not.

Exactly what I was going to say.

It may still be hard to believe, but that man thing is the President of the United States.
Date: January 12, 2018 08:10AM
gabester
I honestly think it's reached saturation point. There's just too much coverage of him, too often. When he says things like today's particularly base but unsurprising exclamation, there have to be consequences.

A very effective consequence would be - were the media to grow some stones and stick together on reporting something big like this - to black him out as a punishment.

He's a child doing anything for attention. And when he does something bad, he does something even worse to cover it up. For example juxtapose today's early FISA tweets with the s-hole racism later in the afternoon. I'm sure his lunchtime briefing indicated he was getting flack for the FISA contradictions, so as he usually does in these circumstances he covers up bad publicity with worse.

smiley-signs006

It ALL needs to be reported. Everyone, EVERYONE, needs to hear and see what an unrepentantly despicable person he is.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 12, 2018 08:11AM
DeusxMac
It ALL needs to be reported. Everyone, EVERYONE, needs to hear and see what an unrepentantly despicable person he is.

Oh, they have already heard all that.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2018 08:38AM
....if only it could be a life without the President [ I mean a life without us, the public, having to deal with this putz as President ].......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 12, 2018 09:14AM
rjmacs
DeusxMac

Oh, they have already heard all that.

And that's the problem... We've already heard and seen similarly outrageous things this narcissistic man has said; we've witnessed the self-aggrandizing behavior.

Maybe what I really mean is a blackout of him by TV news reporting. No clips. No talking heads. Publish it in the newspapers, WRITE about it on the websites and in blogs. Just don't give it airtime. And institute a blackout for every transgression to break the feedback loop; I'd much rather have a weekly digest to read about it ALL at once than the minute-by-minute trickle that exists now.

Why?

Otherwise we risk this behavior being normalized by its frequency. A toddler that throws tantrums and doesn't get timeouts doesn't stop throwing tantrums... and this toddler's not growing out of it.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 12, 2018 11:49AM
gabester
Maybe what I really mean is a blackout of him by TV news reporting. No clips. No talking heads. Publish it in the newspapers, WRITE about it on the websites and in blogs. Just don't give it airtime. And institute a blackout for every transgression to break the feedback loop; I'd much rather have a weekly digest to read about it ALL at once than the minute-by-minute trickle that exists now.

So, a plan like this needs teeth to work (as described above). Who is supposed to be the enforcer here?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 12, 2018 11:57AM
rjmacs
Who is supposed to be the enforcer here?

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Well, do you?
Date: January 12, 2018 12:11PM
So are you proposing that if trump was denied TV coverage for a week he would be appropriately chastised, see the error of his ways, and start behaving presidential thereafter?

Or are you just saying YOU want a week without hearing about him?

If the former, you’re being unrealistically (dare I say naively) optimistic. If the latter, just avoid the media for a week.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 12, 2018 01:17PM
Wishing media to chastise a politician is dangerous. Who decides who is worthy of praise? The Fox News? A Fox News successor? Think it through.

If you’d want a WaPo or a NYT to be that traffic cop, subscribe (that is, with cash) to what they sell, and encourage others to do so. Done.

Ombligo is correct.

If anyone reaches a point where they become disengaged with the political process, that’s never any politician’s fault.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2018 03:40PM
Ombligo
Speaking as a retiree of the mainstream media, that is not how reporting works. What the president does is news whether you agree or not. You don't judge whether it is right, you simply report what is happening. The current issue is that Trump doesn't like when the MSM reports what is happening - that is Trumps problem not the media's.

Exactly right - I think Gabster, you should take a break from the news on your own. You'll feel better.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 12, 2018 06:43PM
If you think Trump's insanity is getting too much coverage, just watch Fox News.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015