advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
They #releasedthememo
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 02, 2018 11:32AM
We are in a propaganda war for the future of the republic. Enjoy!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: They #releasedthememo
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 02, 2018 11:56AM

Another bright sunny day in Republican Treasonland
Date: February 02, 2018 12:08PM

Hey, what ever happened to Steve Bannon?
Trump is engineering this genius move all by himself.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 02, 2018 12:22PM
has anyone seen it? White house servers are crawling.
Date: February 02, 2018 12:26PM
Got my copy. It's pretty much what you'd expect - a hatchet job.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 02, 2018 12:28PM
[www.nytimes.com]

Here it is in the NY Times.

Reads like a nothingburger to me but I'll wait for the experts to tell me what it all means. All about Steele, the dossier, and Carter Page's FISA application. They must be awfully worried about what's in the dossier and what Carter Page has to say to Mueller's team.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 02, 2018 12:29PM
Chalk another win up for the Russian twitter bots.
Date: February 02, 2018 12:31PM
It's all about establishing that the tree was poisoned from the outset.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 02, 2018 12:53PM
James Comes tweet:

That’s it? Dishonest and misleading memo wrecked the House intel committee, destroyed trust with Intelligence Community, damaged relationship with FISA court, and inexcusably exposed classified investigation of an American citizen. For what? DOJ & FBI must keep doing their jobs.
Date: February 02, 2018 01:00PM
rjmacs
It's all about establishing that the tree was poisoned from the outset.

Yes - and it looks like blatant obstruction of justice by the GOP to me. Using a Trump lackey (Nunes) to try and discredit Rosenstein, who oversees the Mueller investigation, and build the case for firing him so that he can be replaced by someone more "Trump friendly" who will end the Russia inquiry. Rosenstein has one of the most "straight arrow" reputations in Washington. Good luck with that.
Date: February 02, 2018 01:01PM
Trey Goody tweet:

As I have said repeatedly, I also remain 100 percent confident in Special Counsel Robert Mueller. The contents of this memo do not - in any way - discredit his investigation.
Date: February 02, 2018 01:06PM
Pam
Trey Goody tweet:

As I have said repeatedly, I also remain 100 percent confident in Special Counsel Robert Mueller. The contents of this memo do not - in any way - discredit his investigation.

Gowdy was a federal prosecutor himself - he should know.
Date: February 02, 2018 01:12PM
Lemon Drop
Pam
Trey Goody tweet:

Trey actually got to read the FISA application. Unlike Nunes who had his clearance revoked, and is supposed to be recused from the Russia investigation.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 02, 2018 01:24PM
They are doing their best to not include mention that the whole dossier started as opposition research funded by 45's GOP opponents.
Date: February 02, 2018 01:43PM
JoeH
They are doing their best to not include mention that the whole dossier started as opposition research funded by 45's GOP opponents.

The Steele Dossier wasn't the trigger, they just want to make the base believe it was.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 02, 2018 01:50PM
Pam
Lemon Drop
Pam
Trey Goody tweet:

Trey actually got to read the FISA application. Unlike Nunes who had his clearance revoked, and is supposed to be recused from the Russia investigation.

I don't understand this, if true. Why wouldn't news media be making hay of Nunes not able to actually see the FISA warrants? Especially since his memo repeatedly says they were weak?

Or is that he did see them but has simply been out of the loop since recusing himself, and is now looking to bolster his new job, i.e. investigating the FBI and DoJ?
Date: February 02, 2018 01:54PM
I #readthememo

It's a nothingburger. No sources of anything were named and our security has not been compromised.

It's just here's "at least 4 reasons" where we think the FISA warrants are bad:

1) Steele
2) Related to Steele
3) Also Steele
4) There's this guy named Steele

and this must be a free bonus what-if
5) something-something-again-Steele
Date: February 02, 2018 01:58PM
My favorite part:

Nunes memo
“Due to the sensitive nature of foreign intelligence activity, FISA submissions (including renewals) before the ISC are classified.”

So forget that the Steele dossier was only part of it. Today, it's the "significant" part.

In fact it's so significant, we won't even bother to lend our support to all those other, minor attributes. Not even in an oblique way.

Thanks again for the burger! It was OK, but could have used more salt.
Date: February 02, 2018 02:04PM
It also doesn't mention that Carter Page hasn't been charged with anything by Mueller. Or that he'd been a "person of interest" to the intelligence community for three years before Trump was elected, because of his weird communications with Russians.
Date: February 02, 2018 02:07PM
and talking about prophetic...

'Republicans collide with huge load of garbage.'
Date: February 02, 2018 02:14PM
deckeda
Pam
Lemon Drop
Pam
Trey Goody tweet:

I don't understand this, if true. Why wouldn't news media be making hay of Nunes not able to actually see the FISA warrants? Especially since his memo repeatedly says they were weak?

Or is that he did see them but has simply been out of the loop since recusing himself, and is now looking to bolster his new job, i.e. investigating the FBI and DoJ?

The media has pointed this out. And that Nune's aides wrote the memo. And that Republicans wouldn't let anyone else read the FISA warrant, including Burr from the Senate Intelligence committee.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 02, 2018 02:46PM
I think it's time for the media to go cover some other story. This one has gotten very tiresome and continuing to cover it only lets Trump's base believe it is newsworthy.

Date: February 02, 2018 02:51PM
Steve G.
and talking about prophetic...

'Republicans collide with huge load of garbage.'

My local Rep's response was to let her followers on social media know that she was on the train and that she was fine.

Not even the customary "thoughts and prayers" about anyone else. Such as the family of the dead man.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 02, 2018 03:41PM
Here's an analysis of the memo that seems to be pretty well thought out:

[www.vox.com]

[snippet]

This fits with the memo’s overall method of argument, which is to imply something suspicious without outright asserting malfeasance.

For example, the memo repeatedly notes that the DOJ knew that “political actors” were involved in the financing the Steele dossier. It implies that the FBI knew they were Democrats and chose to ignore it.

But it never outright asserts that, and for good reason. The firm that employed Steele was initially contracted by a conservative publication, the Washington Free Beacon, not any Democrat or Democratic political campaign. It’s possible the FBI knew of the Free Beacon’s involvement or just generally that some political actor was involved in funding it — but didn’t know about the Clinton campaign’s involvement. The memo never clarifies which “political actors” it means.

Similarly, the memo notes that various important people, including former FBI Director James Comey and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, reapproved the FISA surveillance after the initial application. The implication is that these people were either incompetent, because they failed to notice the omissions in the application, or complicit in an effort to deceive the court.

But there’s another possibility that’s left unmentioned: Perhaps the FISA surveillance on Page revealed disturbing Russian connections that warranted continued surveillance. Page had a longtime history of connections with the Russian government— so much so that in 2013, Russian agents approached him with the intent of turning him into an asset (a point the Nunes memo never notes).

This, experts say, is almost certainly what happened.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 02, 2018 03:58PM
I like this observation from a writer at Slate:

If the real, real long game here is to create just enough chaos and distraction to lead citizens to wonder whether this last action represents the death of constitutional democracy, this latest act is a big win from House Republicans and Donald Trump. Robert Mueller is just fractionally less safe than he was on Thursday, the country is fractionally less confident in the independence and efficacy of the national intelligence apparatus, and everyone is slightly more baffled that something as stupid as the Nunes memo serves to achieve those ends. In a Zeno’s paradox of constitutional meltdown, another nothing just inched us closer to a really big something. But nobody knows if we will ever get there.
Date: February 02, 2018 04:10PM
$tevie
I think it's time for the media to go cover some other story. This one has gotten very tiresome and continuing to cover it only lets Trump's base believe it is newsworthy.

Today’s Quote

“That’s it?”
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 02, 2018 04:18PM
And Mueller continues to march onward and upward.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rexs
Date: February 02, 2018 04:35PM
Rich Wilson long time Republican Strategist
tweeted it is a "fart in a hurricane "
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 02, 2018 04:53PM
So why the distraction?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 02, 2018 05:14PM
sekker
So why the distraction?
It's not a distraction so much as it is an effort to poison our minds against the FBI. So when the real crimes come out, we'll say none of this can be true, the FBI are partisan tools. Muddying the waters.

Date: February 02, 2018 05:24PM
Meh-morandum.
Date: February 02, 2018 05:25PM
sekker
So why the distraction?

I'm not even sure it is a distraction. Trump and so many others are screwed. Trump didn't know squat about our government and doesn't understand that it doesn't exist to protect the president. But he'll talk and act that way. His bully, center of the universe approach with his greasy lawyers won't get him off this time.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 02, 2018 05:51PM
$tevie
sekker
So why the distraction?
It's not a distraction so much as it is an effort to poison our minds against the FBI. So when the real crimes come out, we'll say none of this can be true, the FBI are partisan tools. Muddying the waters.

Sort of a parallel to indoctrinating the idiot deplorables about the concept of Fake News.
Posted by: steve...
Date: February 02, 2018 07:27PM
John McCain today:

“The latest attacks on the FBI and Department of Justice serve no American interests – no party’s, no president’s, only Putin’s. The American people deserve to know all of the facts surrounding Russia’s ongoing efforts to subvert our democracy, which is why Special Counsel Mueller’s investigation must proceed unimpeded. Our nation’s elected officials, including the president, must stop looking at this investigation through the warped lens of politics and manufacturing partisan sideshows. If we continue to undermine our own rule of law, we are doing Putin’s job for him.”

Entire Statement

Northern California Coast
Date: February 02, 2018 08:09PM
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 02, 2018 09:17PM
JoeH

This is an important point and one that NPR completely omitted in their report on the memo. They credited the whole thing to Clinton, and that's enough to keep 45's base outraged.
Posted by: ROFF
Date: February 03, 2018 10:54AM
What kind of a world is it when Russia is good and the FBI is bad?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 03, 2018 03:53PM
ROFF
What kind of a world is it when Russia is good and the FBI is bad?

Trump World - populated with Deplorables.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 248
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018