advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The Kansas model gets another try...
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 08, 2018 02:18PM
...in Oklahoma.

Astoundingly, the results seem to be the same.

NPR
Riding high on the oil boom of the late 2000s, the state followed the Kansas model and slashed taxes. But the promised prosperity never came. In many cases, it was just the opposite.

Around 20 percent of Oklahoma's schools now hold classes just four days a week. Last year, highway patrol officers were given a mileage limit because the state couldn't afford to put gas in their tanks. Medicaid provider rates have been cut to the point that rural nursing homes and hospitals are closing, and the prisons are so full that the director of corrections says they're on the brink of a crisis.

How did this economic miracle come to pass?

WaPo
[Oklahoma] state law mandates that no tax increase can pass without a three-quarters majority in the state legislature. This has created a one-way ratchet, in which any tax cut is effectively permanent and taxes can only go down.

Ah, the economic wonders of TABOR/Prop 13 and the like. Such a looong history of success. How did it go in Kansas?

WaPo
The promised growth didn’t materialize — in fact, the state [Kansas] grew at a lower rate than the rest of the country through the recovery of the Obama years. Job growth in the state between the time the tax cuts were enacted and when they were scaled back in 2017...was less than half of what it was in the rest of the country, and lower than every one of Kansas’s neighbors except one...That’s right: Oklahoma.

But they're just getting rid of government waste, aren't they?

WaPo
For instance...Oklahoma ranks 43rd in household income...[and] like many Republican states, Oklahoma refused to accept the Affordable Care Act’s expansion of Medicaid, and partly as a result it ranks eighth on the list of states with the highest proportion of its population without health insurance.

Jesus is our flu shot.

WaPo
Just to reiterate: The state has so little money that 1 in 5 schools is open only four days a week. Gov. Mary Fallin and Republicans in the state legislature are debating a plan to increase taxes to try to address some of these problems, including giving a raise to teachers. Which is sorely needed, because Oklahoma pays its teachers less than any other state in the country.

When my daughter finished college, she considered a teaching program that offered to put her in inner city Boston, or Tulsa. I said the choice was hers, but if it were me, I wouldn't have to think twice.

She enjoyed Boston. I think I would have too.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Kansas model gets another try...
Date: February 08, 2018 02:23PM
BTW, that machine blip that sent the market down 1800 points in two days?

Apparently, the blip is back.

Edit: 20 minutes to go, and the Dow is -773. A new entry in the top twenty for Mr. Trump?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 02:46PM by pdq.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 08, 2018 02:42PM
Geeeeez!

You libtards never give trickle down ENOUGH TIME!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 08, 2018 02:47PM
Florida is about to put the same idea to a vote. I fully expect it to get the 60% needed for passage. The average voter only hears Tax Freeze and they think it is a great idea.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: February 08, 2018 02:48PM
Lux Interior
Geeeeez!

Indeed. It's been said that conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed by those who are insufficiently dedicated to it.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 08, 2018 02:51PM
pdq
Indeed. It's been said that conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed by those who are insufficiently dedicated to it.

Exactly!

If you let all the wealth go to a small group, THEN they can finally become generous and ensure prosperity for all!

Until then, what is their motivation?
Date: February 08, 2018 03:04PM
Ombligo
Florida is about to put the same idea to a vote. I fully expect it to get the 60% needed for passage. The average voter only hears Tax Freeze and they think it is a great idea.

When Tim Pawlenty was our guv, he had ambitions for higher office and so kept to strict-GOP-orthodoxy, scorched-earth, no-tax-increases. There was a point at which his administration said there was just not enough money for bridge inspection. Then a bridge fell down, and somehow we found money for bridges.

Pawlenty went on to his reward as a lobbyist out east when his higher political ambitions crashed and burned early in Iowa caucuses. He's recently quit that sweet gig, and the rumor is he may run for governor again.

If he does, I'm going to retell that road story to anyone who has forgotten, at the top of my voice. Pawlenty round 2 is the last thing we need.
Date: February 08, 2018 03:07PM
At the bell, the Dow breaks below 24K for another 1000+ point drop.

At the risk of appearing traitorous, I'm not going to clap for either side, m'Kay?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 08, 2018 03:27PM
pdq
Lux Interior
Geeeeez!

Tinkerbell effect
Date: February 08, 2018 03:40PM
DeusxMac
pdq
Lux Interior
Geeeeez!

Tinkerbell effect

Clap harder, you traitors!
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 08, 2018 10:01PM
pdq
DeusxMac
pdq
Lux Interior
Geeeeez!

Tinkerbell effect

Clap harder, you traitors!

I can think of another C word for which the above statement holds true. Are you borrowing liberally? :-)

[twitter.com]

[thebluebros.com]

#PostDialecticIrony
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 09, 2018 12:46PM
pdq
Ombligo

When Tim Pawlenty was our guv, he had ambitions for higher office and so kept to strict-GOP-orthodoxy, scorched-earth, no-tax-increases. There was a point at which his administration said there was just not enough money for bridge inspection. Then a bridge fell down, and somehow we found money for bridges.

Pawlenty went on to his reward as a lobbyist out east when his higher political ambitions crashed and burned early in Iowa caucuses. He's recently quit that sweet gig, and the rumor is he may run for governor again.

If he does, I'm going to retell that road story to anyone who has forgotten, at the top of my voice. Pawlenty round 2 is the last thing we need.

I’m with you, PDQ.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 09, 2018 09:45PM
Ammo
pdq
Ombligo

I’m with you, PDQ.

Me, too.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015