advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Jill Messick, former manager of Rose McGowan, commits suicide
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 08, 2018 11:50PM
Ongoing depression appears to be involved, however her family believes the pressures of the Weinstein furor carried a great weight. They issued a statement Wednesday.

Jill Messick was a mother of two children, a loving wife and partner, a dear friend to many and a smart entertainment executive. She was also a survivor, privately battling depression, which had been her nemesis for years.

Today she did not survive. Jill took her own life.

Jill was victimized by our new culture of unlimited information sharing and a willingness to accept statement as fact. The speed of disseminating information has carried mistruths about Jill as a person, which she was unable and unwilling to challenge. She became collateral damage in an already horrific story.

Now that Jill can no longer speak for herself, it’s time to set the record straight.

They go on to give a version of events that challenges McGowan’s telling, citing, “...Rose’s slanderous statements against her”, while not naysaying any accusations that Weinstein engaged in heinous practices.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Jill Messick, former manager of Rose McGowan, commits suicide
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 09, 2018 12:03AM
Blankity Blank
Ongoing depression appears to be involved, however her family believes the pressures of the Weinstein furor carried a great weight. They issued a statement Wednesday.

Jill Messick was a mother of two children, a loving wife and partner, a dear friend to many and a smart entertainment executive. She was also a survivor, privately battling depression, which had been her nemesis for years.

Today she did not survive. Jill took her own life.

Jill was victimized by our new culture of unlimited information sharing and a willingness to accept statement as fact. The speed of disseminating information has carried mistruths about Jill as a person, which she was unable and unwilling to challenge. She became collateral damage in an already horrific story.

Now that Jill can no longer speak for herself, it’s time to set the record straight.

They go on to give a version of events that challenges McGowan’s telling, citing, “...Rose’s slanderous statements against her”, while not naysaying any accusations that Weinstein engaged in heinous practices.

Took the matter to her superiors and then never gave it another thought and shortly thereafter got a job from the man who raped her client.

She may well be perfectly innocent -- and even a victim -- but I can see why Rose McGowan would think that she was complicit and be quite angry about it.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 09, 2018 12:09AM
Sounds like there is more to this story.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 09, 2018 01:47AM
mrbigstuff

Yeah, Rose McGowan is a nut. Is she happy now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 01:48AM by vision63.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 09, 2018 06:31AM
vision63
mrbigstuff

Yeah, Rose McGowan is a nut. Is she happy now?

I wonder whether she's capable of recovering to the point where she could even acknowledge some happiness. Maybe vindictive rage is all she's got left.

By current accounts, Weinstein spent a great deal of time and money over the years to portray her as a lunatic in the press, ruin her career and isolate her from friends and family.

Let's see how your own mental health is after decades of hired guns sabotaging every aspect of your life and publicly humiliating you over and over again to demean you to the point where nobody will pay any heed to anything you say, and all of it to cover up your rape and make the point that the man who hurt you has all the power in the world and you are nothing.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 09, 2018 06:41AM
......Rose has gone a bit nuts....during her recent 1st book tour appearance.....started shouting with heckler and then canceled the rest of the book tour......her rant was 'scary'...........

.....read this story about the suicide yesterday afternoon and found it sad......it probably pushed her to the edge.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 09:30AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 09, 2018 09:26AM
Dammit. When someone loses their battle with illness it saddens me. When that person has been driven to it by the rapacious media AND rapacious political system it enrages me.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 09, 2018 10:12AM
cbelt3
Dammit. When someone loses their battle with illness it saddens me. When that person has been driven to it by the rapacious media AND rapacious political system it enrages me.

I agree this is very sad and I can understand why her family would want to find someone else to blame.

However I don't see any "rapacious" media or political system at play in this situation. Unless you mean the political power system created by Harvey Weinstein.

Jill Messick and Ben Affleck can be added to the very long list of people used and duped by Harvey Weinstein. Jill Messick is the person who arranged the 1997 hot tub meeting between Ms. McGowan and Weinstein, after which Ms.McGowan told her something about what went on. Ms. Messick claimed that she told her superiors that something bad and "possibly illegal" had happened to Ms. McGowan. However Ms. Messick went on to accept a job from Harvey Weinstein. Ms. McGowan was one of the few (of the many) women harassed and assaulted by Weinstein who went public about it early on.
Last July Harvey Weinstein knew he was under scrutiny by journalists. His lawyers reached out to Messick and Affleck and asked them to write statements about what happened that night in 1997. Neither knew that the New York Times and New Yorker were about to publish evidence that would end Weinstein's career. Both sent the emails, I can only assume without consulting an attorney first, particularly in the case of Messick. She could not have known that Weinstein's attorneys would publish those emails and try to use her against McGowan, or that there would be so many additional victims (more than 60) or that Weinstein would be facing criminal charges for rape in at least 2 cities.

That must have been horrifying because Jill Messick publicly stated that she supported the #MeToo victims and the victims of Weinstein in particular. Like so many other women, she was used.
May she rest in peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 11:11AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 09, 2018 11:00AM
It just all goes to show what a master manipulator Harvey Weinstein is/was. He has even manipulated Messick's family into being angry at McGowen, when Weinstein is the one responsible for ALL of this. He has been gaslighting everyone for years.

Yes, people who are seriously gaslighted tend to start acting "crazy." It does not mean they are lying.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 09, 2018 11:47AM
Janit
It just all goes to show what a master manipulator Harvey Weinstein is/was. He has even manipulated Messick's family into being angry at McGowen, when Weinstein is the one responsible for ALL of this. He has been gaslighting everyone for years.

Yes, people who are seriously gaslighted tend to start acting "crazy." It does not mean they are lying.

They are correct to partially blame her.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 09, 2018 06:37PM
Depression is a fearful god and has claimed another victim.

Blaming Rose McGowan is just a way for the family to try to avoid accepting that life is frightening and random. They need to blame someone and there she is. Otherwise they would go to the usual well, blaming themselves. Nobody wants to blame the deceased, but the deceased was the one who did it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 06:38PM by $tevie.
Posted by: August West
Date: February 10, 2018 10:45PM

Nobody wants to blame the deceased, but the deceased was the one who did it.

Word.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015