AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"The Latest: Trump wishes Rob Porter well after resignation"
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 09, 2018 01:20PM
The Latest: Trump wishes Rob Porter well after resignation
[apnews.com]

White House aides huddle before fielding questions about Trump's latest

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the resignation of White House staff secretary Rob Porter (all times local):
1:25 p.m.
President Donald Trump says he hopes an aide who resigned this week in the wake of domestic abuse allegations has “a great career ahead of him.”
Trump tells reporters at a surprise appearance Friday that former White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter did “a very good job while he was in the White House” and adds: “We wish him well.” Porter has been accused of domestic abuse by two ex-wives and a former girlfriend. He has denied the charges.

Trump tells reporters he was surprised by the abuse allegations and called the news “very sad.” Trump is also stressing that Porter maintains he is innocent. He says: “I think you have to remember that.”
__
1 a.m.
Pressure is mounting on White House chief of staff John Kelly amid questions about his defense of a senior aide he fought to keep in a highly sensitive West Wing job despite accusations of spousal abuse from two ex-wives.

White House staff secretary Rob Porter, a member of President Donald Trump’s inner circle and arguably Kelly’s closest aide, cleaned out his desk on Thursday. But the aftershocks of his resignation continue amid concerns about his access to classified information.

Kelly himself faced criticism for initially defending his aide — only to later shift course after the publication of photos showing one of Porter’s ex-wives with a black eye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 01:24PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "The Latest: Trump wishes Rob Porter well after resignation"
Posted by: hal
Date: February 09, 2018 01:25PM
when kelly is gone, it'll be straight back to anarchy in the oval office. A scandal a day with leaks round the clock.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 09, 2018 01:34PM
It's anarchy now. Everybody is appalled by what Trump said as if he wasn't garbage from jump street. If people think that there is somehow some measure of decency in that man, then I would say then that's our biggest problem.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 09, 2018 01:37PM
....hate to say it but he is reflection of real life......there are more and more people like him....or at least they are noticed more.....narcissistic.....self-centered, rude people....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 09, 2018 03:57PM
I don’t know that what Trump said is very different than what a few of us here have said, regarding keeping an accused’s needs paramount.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 09, 2018 04:05PM
I think it's safe to say that a person of character is just not going to work for the Trump administration.
Posted by: steve...
Date: February 09, 2018 04:39PM
Trump praised Porter like he did Alabama's Judge Moore who was accused of sexual assault. Stephen Bannon was also accused of domestic violence.

Northern California Coast
Date: February 09, 2018 04:44PM
It should be prominently noted that Trump gave no credence to the TWO wives who accused Porter of brutal abuse.

Victims should always be believed first. Trump, of course, made like the battered wives don't even exist. Trump continues to be a bigot, a moron and a pig of colossal proportions.
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 09, 2018 05:15PM
Trump was all kissy face for the wife beater. Figures.smiley-rpg028
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 09, 2018 06:13PM
"Kelly Says He’s Willing to Resign as Abuse Scandal Roils White House"

[news.google.com]
Date: February 09, 2018 06:21PM
Washington (CNN)White House chief of staff John Kelly did not formally tender his resignation to President Donald Trump on Friday, but he did make clear that he would resign if the President wanted him to, a source with knowledge of the matter told CNN.
Talk of Kelly's viability as chief of staff reached a fever pitch on Friday afternoon amid intense scrutiny surrounding the handling of domestic abuse allegations against White House staff secretary Rob Porter, who resigned Wednesday while denying the allegations against him.
White House deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley adamantly denied that Kelly had offered to resign in any way.
"He has not offered to resign," Gidley told CNN Friday.

While the source said there was no indication on Friday that Trump would ask Kelly to resign over the matter, another source told CNN's Gloria Borger that Trump has been asking friends and associates over the phone about various potential replacements for the chief of staff position.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 09, 2018 06:24PM
Here's the link to that story:

[www.nytimes.com]

WASHINGTON — John F. Kelly, the White House chief of staff, told officials in the West Wing on Friday that he was willing to step down over his handling of allegations of spousal abuse against Rob Porter, the staff secretary who resigned in disgrace this week over the accusations, according to two officials aware of the discussions.

The officials emphasized that they did not consider a resignation imminent, and that Mr. Kelly — a retired four-star Marine general who early in his tenure often used a threat of quitting as a way to temper President Trump’s behavior — had made no formal offer.

Now would be a good time for the White House to issue some strong statements against intimate partner assault.
Date: February 09, 2018 06:28PM
Lemon Drop
Now would be a good time for the White House to issue some strong statements against intimate partner assault.

I didn't know pot was legal in your state.
Date: February 09, 2018 06:34PM
Steve G.
Lemon Drop

Why yes, it is...recreational pot has been legal since 2012.

But I'm not blowing smoke. This White House has an opportunity to get out front on this issue. I mean obviously not Cheeto Dust, but he should appoint a national task force leader, something like that.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 09, 2018 06:48PM
Steve G.
It should be prominently noted that Trump gave no credence to the TWO wives who accused Porter of brutal abuse.

Victims should always be believed first. Trump, of course, made like the battered wives don't even exist. Trump continues to be a bigot, a moron and a pig of colossal proportions.

I think we should believe whoever's accounts are most credible. In this case, with the police reports that verify bruises that are consistently with the wives' accounts of being abused, I think they clearly are more credible.

Each case is unique. But I do think that in terms of emotional reaction to the person who claims to be the victim that we should take care as to not victimize them again by questioning their character without very solid evidence of some wrongdoing on their part.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 09, 2018 06:50PM
Kelly’s full of it. Is he really saying that if Trump wanted to fire him he could stay?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 09, 2018 08:24PM
Lemon Drop
Steve G.
Lemon Drop

Why yes, it is...recreational pot has been legal since 2012.

But I'm not blowing smoke. This White House has an opportunity to get out front on this issue. I mean obviously not Cheeto Dust, but he should appoint a national task force leader, something like that.

Opportunity means nothing. Trump is not going to do the right thing.
Posted by: steve...
Date: February 10, 2018 02:43PM
Comrade Trumpo tweeted in defense of accused men Saturday morning.

The sympathetic response made no mention of accusers or victims of sexual harassment or abuse, or the professional or personal harm that can come to those — usually women — who come forward.

Washington Post

Northern California Coast
Date: February 10, 2018 06:17PM
What do you mean Steve...?

Some Very Fine People on both sides.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015