advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
If you had the means....
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 11, 2018 11:08AM
Would you leave the USA? What would be the trigger?

As a minority male, I have accepted any interaction with Law Enforcement could be my last, so generalized "danger" wouldn't do it.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you had the means....
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 11, 2018 12:07PM
I moved from Baltimore to South Canada (otherwise known as Minnesota). Feels like I live in a different country every day.

If we can turn the political tide in 2018 nationally, then we'd have no reason to leave.

The budget seems better for me, but if the Trumpian budget plan for science had gone through (with the proposed 30% cut to the NIH), we'd have likely left the US for professional reasons.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 11, 2018 12:41PM
My just-retired friend said he's moving to Costa Rica when his girlfriend retires 11/19 due to politics.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 11, 2018 12:48PM
I would never leave America (except for trips). I love our country with every atomic fragment of my being. I expect this country to be run fairly and properly or I'll do whatever I can to help make it fulfill that.

Even as a minority male I fear no man, much less any cops. I expect to be respected. If anything, cops need to more worry about me.

I am a 100 percent Patriot.
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 11, 2018 12:51PM
Dennis S
My just-retired friend said he's moving to Costa Rica when his girlfriend retires 11/19 due to politics.

I have the means but to me it isn't worth the hassle. I don't even want or will move to CA like my kids would like me to! Costa Rica would be nice and I have thought how nice but I'm so old now I'll just hope changing my voting along with others will correct the situation. PS: new tax law will not affect me...no provision in it for my situation.
Date: February 11, 2018 01:17PM
vision63
I expect this country to be run fairly and properly or I'll do whatever I can to help make it fulfill that.

Even as a minority male I fear no man, much less any cops. I expect to be respected. If anything, cops need to more worry about me.

I wish you luck on this.

"Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin'lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. Kahless went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." Kahless honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. Kahless replied, "The wind does not respect a fool". ""

-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 11, 2018 01:34PM
California might be an exception. Though we have our own problems here. We still manage to neutralize most of what the Trumpeters are doing to the other 49 states.
Date: February 11, 2018 01:48PM
My friend moving to Costa Rica is in Arkansas in a multi-racial relationship, so they're going to move somewhere, regardless.
Date: February 11, 2018 02:02PM
Rolando
vision63
I expect this country to be run fairly and properly or I'll do whatever I can to help make it fulfill that.

I wish you luck on this.

"Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin'lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. Kahless went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." Kahless honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. Kahless replied, "The wind does not respect a fool". ""

Yeah, but I've already been beaten up by the police and they also broke both of my brother's legs. I've even been shot (not by cops). I've been robbed. But you can't live your life in fear and think you're going to be happy. Fear no man. Trust in yourself.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 11, 2018 02:19PM
sekker
I moved from Baltimore to South Canada (otherwise known as Minnesota.)
My sister lives in St Paul and if it wasn't for those cursed winters, I would have left Baltimore to join her years ago.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 11, 2018 02:40PM
$tevie
sekker
I moved from Baltimore to South Canada (otherwise known as Minnesota.)
My sister lives in St Paul and if it wasn't for those cursed winters, I would have left Baltimore to join her years ago.

Don’t rule out Minnesota on climate - there are ways to adjust to cold temps just there are ways to adjust to hot temps in the south. As they say, you can put on extra clothes to keep warm, but you can’t always take off enough clothes to stay cool.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Date: February 11, 2018 04:07PM
vision63
Yeah, but I've already been beaten up by the police and they also broke both of my brother's legs. I've even been shot (not by cops). I've been robbed. But you can't live your life in fear and think you're going to be happy. Fear no man. Trust in yourself.

Well that's two things we have in common!

As far as trusting yourself...I compare it to a storm, because if it happens to you, it happens. This week my daughter asked me about a sticker on a car. It was a black & white US Flag with a blue stripe.

I told her to google it, and she learned about the "thin blue line". The I told her to look up "The Blue Wall of Silence"

Now she knows.

-- Edmund Burke
Posted by: max
Date: February 11, 2018 04:51PM
I have the means, I am staying...
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 11, 2018 06:23PM
And go where, exactly? As bad as things may seem here, in my opinion, most of the world is worse. If you don’t agree with that sentiment, luckily you CAN leave! I find it interesting that NONE of the “celebutants” who stated they would leave America if Trump became POTUS have actually left. Much of the rest of the world would come to America if they could.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 04:33PM by testcase.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: February 11, 2018 07:14PM
I've moved away from the US three times. The first two were for jobs. I could have stayed and opted to leave the jobs after a few years and return.

This last exit has been for love. I am so thankful that Canada (and a Canadian sweetie pie) have accepted me as a citizen (and spouse).

While I can imagine visiting the US frequently (friends and siblings), I cannot imagine ever living there again. First consideration would be (lack of) health care.

Can much more easily imagine long-term stays in other countries than the US.

Todd's ex-pat keyboard
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 12, 2018 08:28AM
Probably not. Family and friends keep us here.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 12, 2018 08:40AM
If Canada and Mexico swapped locations geographically, maybe, but I could not take the cold to move up north and I don’t want to move to Mexico. Costa Rica is nice, but it isn’t the US and my Spanish is minimal. Places like Australia and New Zealand might be nice but they are too far away. Britain is too cold and too expensive and they have their own issues, so I guess I will be here for the duration.

I wish I could do more, other than just vote, to get the US back on a good track, but I do vote which is more than a lot of people, which is sad and is what helped get us here.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: February 12, 2018 05:11PM
I talked to my friend who is moving to Costa Rica and he sounds like it's a done deal. He has a daughter in Houston and she has lots of kinfolks in Dallas and his other daughter dates a pilot and gets free trips. So, he won't be all that isolated. I'm assuming plane tickets to and from Texas are not terribly expensive.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 13, 2018 10:26AM
I would leave only if I felt I were in imminent danger from the government, which is conceivable but currently remote.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: February 13, 2018 10:53AM
rjmacs
I would leave only if I felt I were in imminent danger from the government, which is conceivable but currently remote.

If it got too bad, you'd need to move to a country with the power to protect you. You could be in Toronto going "na nana na na!" And they come and snatch you anyway.
Date: February 13, 2018 12:25PM
vision63
rjmacs

If it got too bad, you'd need to move to a country with the power to protect you. You could be in Toronto going "na nana na na!" And they come and snatch you anyway.

I suppose one element of fleeing is that there must be a place of refuge to seek. But that wasn't the question.

Edit: P.S. When I say "imminent danger from the government," I don't mean "things are getting pretty dicey these days," I mean, "We decrypted a message saying that they are coming for you tonight or tomorrow."

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 12:26PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 13, 2018 07:25PM
Join the underground! The resistance. secret smiley
Date: February 14, 2018 07:16AM
DeusxMac
Join the underground! The resistance. secret smiley

terrified smiley

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015