advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Katy Perry offs a nun.....
Posted by: max
Date: March 10, 2018 07:42PM

Nun Begging Katy Perry Not To Steal Their Convent Dies After Collapsing In Court
A nun who was involved in a lawsuit with pop star Katy Perry over the sale of a convent in Los Angeles died Friday after collapsing during a court appearance.
Hours before her death, Holzman spoke to KTTV, decrying a judge’s ruling that cleared the way for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles to sell the convent to Perry.

“To Katy Perry, please stop,” Holzman said. “It’s not doing anyone any good except hurting a lot of people.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Katy Perry offs a nun.....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 10, 2018 11:09PM
As I recall, the aforementioned nun attempted to sell the house to another person, despite not having authorization to do so.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 11, 2018 09:45AM
Sounds like God has removed a barrier to her dream....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 11, 2018 10:59AM
....nunsense.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: max
Date: March 11, 2018 11:09AM
Posted by: DevoBill
Date: March 11, 2018 05:56PM
[www.canyon-news.com]

I want ambiguity, or possibly something else.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 11, 2018 06:46PM
But it was a very nice play by the nun to get the jury's sympathy.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 11, 2018 07:03PM
"The Los Angeles Archdiocese moved to nullify the sale, presenting the court with a letter from the Vatican, which stated clearly, in Latin, that you needed the permission of the Archbishop to sell church property... "

Not a professional legal opinion, but I'm pretty sure that with the original title in the name of the diocese, anyone with decision-making authority in the diocese would have the ability to strike contracts on their behalf and while I dunno about California law, in New York an ad hoc letter purporting to change that would have been an unlawful "dead hand" burden on the transfer of the property of the same order as a gross easement or a violation of the rule against perpetuities.

'Just my own impression of that aspect. And it doesn't really matter. The first-in-time transaction was the sale to Perry and that contract wasn't so burdened.

...Also, while instinct may tell you to side with the nuns, it seems that they haven't used the property for much in the way of religious purposes for quite some time. They've been renting it out for TV shows such as "My Name is Earl" and opposition to the sale seems to have been entirely due to an irrational hatred for Katy Perry's music and performance-art.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 07:05PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 11, 2018 11:02PM
Our neighborhood had a long and bitter battle attempting to purchase a Catholic church to save it from demolition, and yeah the archbishop has to sign off on it and yeah at the end of the day the Pope is in charge. The diocese is run by the archbishop and the nuns may have had the ability to arrange the sale but they couldn't finalize it without the permission of the person in charge. It would be like secretaries selling a company without letting the CEO have a say.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015