advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Media Bias Chart
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 11, 2018 03:51PM
Intersting chart that measures media bias that was created by , patent attorney Vanessa Otero. She originally made it in 2016, but has updated it several times.

(larger version)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Media Bias Chart
Posted by: hal
Date: March 11, 2018 03:57PM
wrong side...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 11, 2018 04:49PM
Yes, because identifying truth and neutrality is horribly upsetting to some forum members.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 11, 2018 05:58PM
Yep, meant for the other side, it'll get moved eventually.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 11, 2018 06:32PM
Is asking this chart to remain non-political a political ask?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 11, 2018 06:34PM
Its political by its nature. Even the Oscars got dumped to the other side.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 11, 2018 07:06PM
This thread’s been sitting here for 2.5 hours. Just think of the irreparable harm that’s come to so many people just by seeing that chart. I tells ya it’s highly offensive, for sure!
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 11, 2018 07:24PM
Political post on the deals side?

Posted by: TheCaber
Date: March 11, 2018 07:28PM
But, but....where's the Weekly World News and the National Enquirer on that chart?

Yeah, a third axis, ranging from 0 (grounded in reality) to +infinity (cloud cuckoo land and beyond), would help sort out the altitude at which some, ah, thought processes appear to function...

Nice chart, though.

=TC
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: March 11, 2018 07:45PM
Don't know about Weekly World News, but the National Enquirer is down there at the bottom of the red rectangle representing "Nonsense damaging to public discourse"
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: March 11, 2018 08:05PM
Thanks, I missed the tiny red 'National' there. smiling smiley

=TC
Posted by: davester
Date: March 11, 2018 11:20PM
I like that chart, and I don't think it is really a "political" post because it doesn't take sides. I think it serves a very useful purpose and that anybody looking to get a reasonably objective understanding of reality needs to consume a range of publications across the entire width of the top half of the chart. Those who pay attention to anything in the bottom half of the chart are doing themselves and the country a disservice by subjecting themselves to utter nonsense.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 12, 2018 07:08AM
Any chart like that that doesn't put NPR, WaPo, and the NYT in the lower left corner is going to trigger certain snowflakes.
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 12, 2018 07:16AM
Lux Interior
Any chart like that that doesn't put NPR, WaPo, and the NYT in the lower left corner is going to trigger certain snowflakes.

They think the Economist belongs there as well.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 12, 2018 08:22AM
Lux Interior
Truth Bad !
Lies Good.

And yes, the Enquirer is a LOUD Trump drum beater.
Date: March 12, 2018 09:57AM
By squinting, I just discovered where local newspapers -- that stuff no one reads anymore -- are on the chart.

Similarly, AP and Reuters, being news services, do original fact reporting but it's so incredibly DRY it's barely consumable by most readers.

Now look at the sides. Most of it is from the Internet.

The corollary to all of this is that very few people you're trying to persuade about anything will appreciate that you told them their source isn't credible.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 12, 2018 10:33AM
What's really absurd is that we have an utterly uninformed president who stays in the lower right corner.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 12, 2018 11:15AM
davester
What's really absurd is that we have an utterly uninformed president who stays in the lower right corner.

What's even more absurd is that there are apparently enough utterly uninformed members of a home-schooled society voting in just the right voting blocks to ensure his stay in the WH for the next 7 years.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 12, 2018 04:18PM
davester

If it were weighted for eyeballs, the hyper-partisan and most extreme conservative would flip the chart over.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015