advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
ICE Spokesman Quits Over Leaders' Use Of 'Misleading Facts' To Discuss Calif. Arrests
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 13, 2018 10:20AM
Another one resigns, this time objecting to being asked to spread fake news.

[www.npr.org]

James Schwab has resigned from his job as a Department of Homeland Security spokesman, saying he didn't agree with Trump administration officials' use of "misleading facts" to attack Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf after the mayor issued a warning about an immigration sweep in late February.

"I quit because I didn't want to perpetuate misleading facts," Schwab told the San Francisco Chronicle. "I asked them to change the information. I told them that the information was wrong, they asked me to deflect, and I didn't agree with that. Then I took some time and I quit."

In that four-day sweep through Northern California, Immigration and Customs Enforcement deportation officers arrested 232 people — but high-level federal officials, including President Trump, said Schaaf was to blame for 864 more people not being arrested. They pointed to her public warning of a pending wide-scale raid, which she issued on Feb. 24, just as the operation was about to begin.

ICE agents had targeted more than 1,000 people in the sweep. After the raid, a Homeland Security official said it's common for a large-scale immigration sweep to net about a third of its targets, as member station KQED reports.

Trump called what Schaaf did "a disgrace," saying her warning was the sole reason that hundreds of people escaped arrest. His remarks amplified attacks by Attorney General Jeff Sessions and ICE Acting Director Thomas D. Homan. Their claims were questioned by critics — and now by Schwab, a veteran public affairs officer who previously worked at the Defense Department and NASA.

"I didn't feel like fabricating the truth to defend ourselves against [the mayor's] actions was the way to go about it," Schwab told the Chronicle. "We were never going to pick up that many people. To say that 100 percent are dangerous criminals on the street, or that those people weren't picked up because of the misguided actions of the mayor, is just wrong."

In his attack on Schaaf, Trump said 85 percent of the targeted immigrants had criminal records. But when KQED asked ICE to explain why the targeted people had been classified as threats to public safety, a spokeswoman said that only five of the 864 had been convicted of serious crimes.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ICE Spokesman Quits Over Leaders' Use Of 'Misleading Facts' To Discuss Calif. Arrests
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 13, 2018 10:26AM
I like a person with ethics.
Re: ICE Spokesman Quits Over Leaders' Use Of 'Misleading Facts' To Discuss Calif. Arrests
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 13, 2018 11:30AM
.....especially if their sense of ethics is fluid........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 13, 2018 12:57PM
How many government employees with ethics have left or are leaving?

It's going to take a generation to undo the damage Trump and his cronies are doing.

Northern California Coast
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 245
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018