advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Immigrant parents with unattractive children, you can relax
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 12, 2018 09:50PM
You think you've heard it all, and then another GOP rep starts talking.

[www.cnn.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Immigrant parents with unattractive children, you can relax
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 12, 2018 11:34PM
Um ... do you disagree with the very real risk that children and adult refugees are being sold into sexual slavery before they even reach our borders ?

( yeah, tone deaf statement, but ...)
Date: April 13, 2018 05:30AM
cbelt3
Um ... do you disagree with the very real risk that children and adult refugees are being sold into sexual slavery before they even reach our borders ?

I can't believe you'd even ask me that Charles. We're a community of people here who have been chatting for years, I would never express doubt of your integrity or general intelligence in this way.

The congressman made a profoundly ignorant, patronizing and bigoted statement; there's no beauty pageant going on in the world of sex trafficking. The thread title is sarcastic, sorry that didn't translate for you.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 13, 2018 08:30AM
cbelt3

Maybe fair to say that it's hard to believe that the blowhard that would say something like that could actually be motivated by genuine concern for the exploited. "Tone deaf" doesn't quite capture how dehumanizing and ugly the statement was, if you ask me. And for whatever it matters, that isn't dependent on his intent in saying it.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 13, 2018 09:13AM
Lemon,
Apologies for the implication, it was not intended. I have great respect for all of you. Let me surgically remove my foot from my mouth (power tool sounds....) Ok...

Back to the original issue...

Mexico is a hideously dangerous place. The US War on Drugs has produced a near failed state at our southern border. Yes.. WE did this. And refugees are the most vulnerable people. Who are victimized time and time again on their quest for a safe place to live, work, and raise their families. The ones that do make it here are then further victimized by a racist administration that considers them less than human, and willfully violates our own laws and international law to arrest, imprison, and deport these poor people.
Date: April 13, 2018 10:15AM
cbelt3
Lemon,
Apologies for the implication, it was not intended. I have great respect for all of you. Let me surgically remove my foot from my mouth (power tool sounds....) Ok...

Back to the original issue...

Mexico is a hideously dangerous place. The US War on Drugs has produced a near failed state at our southern border. Yes.. WE did this. And refugees are the most vulnerable people. Who are victimized time and time again on their quest for a safe place to live, work, and raise their families. The ones that do make it here are then further victimized by a racist administration that considers them less than human, and willfully violates our own laws and international law to arrest, imprison, and deport these poor people.

kind apology accepted, no worries!

While I don't agree that Mexico is a near failed state, it's actually one of the more prosperous countries in LA usually coming in second only to Brazil, I do agree on your other points.
Posted by: max
Date: April 13, 2018 08:57PM
Lemon Drop
While I don't agree that Mexico is a near failed state, it's actually one of the more prosperous countries in LA usually coming in second only to Brazil,

Maybe you should visit the place, walk somewhere outside the artificial tourist cantons of Acapulco, actually talk to the locals, then you may have an idea about the subject...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 13, 2018 10:34PM
max
Lemon Drop
While I don't agree that Mexico is a near failed state, it's actually one of the more prosperous countries in LA usually coming in second only to Brazil,

Maybe you should visit the place, walk somewhere outside the artificial tourist cantons of Acapulco, actually talk to the locals, then you may have an idea about the subject...

max, Mexico is quite prosperous and its economy is humming right along. Lately the Mexican peso has been rising against the dollar which is unusual. Got back two months ago from a nice drive through parts of the country, going as far as Villahermosa with stops in Tampico to visit my son's in-laws, in Mexico City to visit my in-laws and then to several towns and cities along the way to Villahermosa to visit my wife's last surviving aunt. A nice trip to Puebla, Queretaro, and on to Saltillo, Monterrey and Reynosa. Too bad some parts are effectively ruled by narco gangs. Yes, there is plenty of poverty and corruption but they have made great economic progress since I took the first of many road trips all through Mexico almost 40 years ago. Next year we plan to drive to central Guatemala where I expect to see a lot more poverty than in Mexico.

Note that Acapulco is becoming more gang infested and just today my wife mentioned that 12 people were murdered yesterday in Cancun fighting over drug territory.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: April 14, 2018 02:40AM
Speedy
Lemon Drop

Mexico is quite prosperous and its economy is humming right along. Lately the Mexican peso has been rising against the dollar which is unusual. Got back two months ago from a nice drive through parts of the country, going as far as Villahermosa with stops in Tampico to visit my son's in-laws, in Mexico City to visit my in-laws and then to several towns and cities along the way to Villahermosa to visit my wife's last surviving aunt. A nice trip to Puebla, Queretaro, and on to Saltillo, Monterrey and Reynosa. Too bad some parts are effectively ruled by narco gangs. Yes, there is plenty of poverty and corruption but they have made great economic progress since I took the first of many road trips all through Mexico almost 40 years ago. Next year we plan to drive to central Guatemala where I expect to see a lot more poverty than in Mexico.

Note that Acapulco is becoming more gang infested and just today my wife mentioned that 12 people were murdered yesterday in Cancun fighting over drug territory.

Thanks for sharing that speedy. Acapulco was a pit when I went there 35 years ago and from what I read hasn't improved much. I didn't think that was even a a popular tourist area now. Never been to Cancun and don't plan on it - would love to visit Mexico City, Guanajuato, Oaxaca City, Tulum...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2018 02:41AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: August West
Date: April 14, 2018 10:56AM
I would echo the pushback on Mexico being failed and hideously dangerous. Certainly it has problems, so do all countries. It has a large population of people who want a peaceful decent life, too.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015