advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Oh my. Cohen actually *did* secretly travel to Prague in 2016?
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 16, 2018 02:17PM
...and Mueller has evidence of this, says this McClatchy article from Friday - apologies if you've already seen or heard about this.

The Justice Department special counsel has evidence that Donald Trump’s personal lawyer and confidant, Michael Cohen, secretly made a late-summer trip to Prague during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

So what? Maybe he's a tourist?

...investigators have traced evidence that Cohen entered the Czech Republic through Germany, apparently during August or early September of 2016... said the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is confidential. He wouldn’t have needed a passport for such a trip, because both countries are in the so-called Schengen Area in which 26 nations operate with open borders.

Sneaky! But again, so what?

Well, it's not the first time someone placed Cohen in Prague...

The [Steele] dossier alleges that Cohen, two Russians and several Eastern European hackers met [in] Prague...Further, it alleges that Cohen, Kosachev and other attendees discussed “how deniable cash payments were to be made to hackers in Europe who had worked under Kremlin direction against the Clinton campaign.”

But that's the Steele dossier - the article doesn't say Mueller has these particular details, just (unstated) evidence that Cohen was in Prague.

However...

Cohen has vehemently denied for months that he ever has been in Prague...Last August, an attorney for Cohen, Stephen Ryan, delivered to Congress a point-by-point rebuttal of the dossier’s allegations, stating: “Mr. Cohen is not aware of any ‘secret TRUMP campaign/Kremlin relationship.’”

Oh. It's not nice to lie to Congress.

Evidence that Cohen was in Prague “certainly helps undermine his credibility,” said Jill Wine-Banks, a former Watergate prosecutor who lives in Chicago. “It doesn’t matter who he met with. His denial was that 'I was never in Prague'. Having proof that he was is, for most people, going to be more than enough to say I don’t believe anything else he says.”

“I think that, given the relationship between Michael Cohen and the president,” Wine-Banks said, “it’s not believable that Michael Cohen did not tell him about his trip to Prague.”

If they really can prove this, it's gotta be the beginning of the end.

secret smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oh my. Cohen actually *did* secretly travel to Prague in 2016?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 16, 2018 02:28PM
I'll wait until Mueller introduces it in evidence. There have been few leaks so far.
Date: April 16, 2018 02:33PM
Steve G.
I'll wait until Mueller introduces it in evidence. There have been few leaks so far.

True dat. But McClatchy is generally pretty good, and not given to overreach.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 16, 2018 02:43PM
Trump's people said it was a different Michael Cohen.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 16, 2018 02:44PM
It's not a problem to lie to Congress (especially if you aren't under oath), as long as the majority has the back of the witnesses. In other words, IOKIYAR.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: April 16, 2018 02:51PM
Speak of the devil:

President Trump’s personal attorney Michael D. Cohen did work for Fox News commentator Sean Hannity in the last year, one of just three legal clients Cohen represented

Very choosy, huh? The other two were Trump, and Broidy, the guy who paid $1.6M to the Playboy bunny to get an abortion.

Wonder what he did for Mr. Hannity?

popcorn smiley
Posted by: max
Date: April 16, 2018 06:46PM
Talk about building gigantic straw men....

pdq
...and Mueller has evidence of this, says this McClatchy article from Friday - apologies if you've already seen or heard about this.

The Justice Department special counsel has evidence that Donald Trump’s personal lawyer and confidant, Michael Cohen, secretly made a late-summer trip to Prague during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

So what? Maybe he's a tourist?

...investigators have traced evidence that Cohen entered the Czech Republic through Germany, apparently during August or early September of 2016... said the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is confidential. He wouldn’t have needed a passport for such a trip, because both countries are in the so-called Schengen Area in which 26 nations operate with open borders.

Sneaky! But again, so what?
:

A lot of wishful thinking and half truths, pdq, his passport would still have the evidence of entering the Schengen zone. Everybody from outside gets stamped, coming and going. If your fantasy was to be true, Cohen's passport would have a stamp with a German port of entry.
In fact Buzfeed did examine Cohen's passport and just like your wishes, theirs could not have been fulfilled either. His actual visit to Schengen zone, through Italy still did not work out for them timewise.

McClatchy notes that there is no evidence of who, if anyone, Cohen met with, but that the time frame was in late August or early September, as the dossier suggests....
Cohen showed his passport to BuzzFeed. The only travel into the proper area indicated by passport stamps was a trip to and from Italy from July 9 to 17. But note that this is too early for Steele’s time frame — and for the assertion that it was a response to the firing of Manafort. How Cohen would have gotten to Prague is still unclear.
Poor babies, "unclear" ie "we were shown up, but we cannot admit we made it all up"....
[www.washingtonpost.com]

...and that is the difference between us, pdq, I deal with facts, provable facts, however pleasant or unpleasant, you have your fantasy world of conspiracy theories....
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 16, 2018 07:46PM
max

What are the supposed "straw men" you're insinuating here, and who's supposedly constructing them?

straw man noun
an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 07:47PM by DeusxMac.
Date: April 17, 2018 09:55AM
DeusxMac
max

What are the supposed "straw men" you're insinuating here, and who's supposedly constructing them?

straw man noun
an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument

"if only Cohen traveled to Prague, which apparently he did not, but if he did, then that would....blah....blah....blah ... the rest of the gigantic pdq OP with wet stains and all.
If only that happened, OMG...."

yes, DeusxMac, those are strawmen....
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 17, 2018 12:48PM
That's actually not how 'straw man' is generally used, but the point is taken. None of this is proven yet.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: April 17, 2018 02:05PM
Max just thinks the term sounds cool.
Date: April 20, 2018 08:29PM
pdq
Max just thinks the term sounds cool.

rjmacs
That's actually not how 'straw man' is generally used, but the point is taken. None of this is proven yet.

pdq does have a problem with anything not fitting his limited reality, worse yet if dispels his orgasmic fake news... ....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

btfc , jdc
Guests: 151
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015