advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
George F. Will: "Trump is no longer the worst person in government"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 11, 2018 08:35PM
I dislike a LOT of George F. Will's political stances (his climate denial sometimes seems to verge on mental instability), but on occasion he uses his large vocabulary and pretty good word smithery skills to produce an engaging piece; like this one (first paragraph):

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Donald Trump, with his feral cunning, knew. The oleaginous Mike Pence, with his talent for toadyism and appetite for obsequiousness, could, Trump knew, become America’s most repulsive public figure. And Pence, who has reached this pinnacle by dethroning his benefactor, is augmenting the public stock of useful knowledge. Because his is the authentic voice of today’s lickspittle Republican Party, he clarifies this year’s elections: Vote Republican to ratify groveling as governing.

I think the whole thing is an entertaining read and in this case there is a foundation of truth that gives gravitas to his words.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 08:36PM by Ted King.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: George F. Will: "Trump is no longer the worst person in government"
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 12, 2018 09:02AM
Ted King
The oleaginous Mike Pence...

Got to give it to Mr. Will.

He always seems to find just the right word.

Both the primary and secondary meaning are so perfectly apt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 02:39PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 12, 2018 12:49PM
Yes, Pence is the professional version of Trump's bottomless hate.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 12, 2018 04:04PM
People like 45 pave the way for people like Pense. IMO, many Repubs tolerate 45 because they think they are smarter than him. But if Pense ever became president, things would suddenly get a lot more serious.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 04:04PM by Ammo.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 13, 2018 11:00PM
I know someone who knew one of George Will's children, and had been in their house. He told me that there were books all over the house, even a pile in the bathroom. I don't agree with much of what Will says or writes, but that anecdote left a soft spot in my heart for the man.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 14, 2018 08:08AM
I feel similarly about George Will as I do about David Brooks; I disagree with their politics, but they are politically homeless these days. They believed in a lie (that conservative politics could be married to a discourse of fundamental equality), and now that the race-based animus living in their party has shaken off its muzzle and left them puzzled and partly destroyed. Sad horn.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: hal
Date: May 14, 2018 07:52PM
$tevie
I know someone who knew one of George Will's children, and had been in their house. He told me that there were books all over the house, even a pile in the bathroom.

Just one? That was the house I grew up in. Dad the english Prof - he had an office with bookshelves on every wall STUFFED with books. Not with the spines faced out, but squeezed in however then could fit. Shelves in the living room, dining room, master bedroom and my bedroom. And several stacks in the bathroom. Mom absolutely hated it and made him thin out the collection once or twice a year.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 14, 2018 08:22PM
hal
$tevie
I know someone who knew one of George Will's children, and had been in their house. He told me that there were books all over the house, even a pile in the bathroom.

Just one? That was the house I grew up in. Dad the english Prof - he had an office with bookshelves on every wall STUFFED with books. Not with the spines faced out, but squeezed in however then could fit. Shelves in the living room, dining room, master bedroom and my bedroom. And several stacks in the bathroom. Mom absolutely hated it and made him thin out the collection once or twice a year.

Just like the home my wife grew up in. Over 6k volumes. I had difficulty finding the light switches (they were often above some of the shorter books). The house is still filled with books some 16 years after the death of her (professor) father and three years after her mother died. No piles in the bathroom, though; too much humidity.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015