advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Weekend reading: the militarization of sporting events in the USA
Posted by: hal
Date: May 12, 2018 02:47PM
[www.nytimes.com]

Why was everyone — from players to coaches to fans in authentic team gear — suddenly wearing camouflage at a sporting event?

I asked Russel Honoré, the famed American three-star general, what it meant. I said that I didn’t want my 12-year-old son secretly recruited by the Army at Fenway Park. I wanted him to be a kid and enjoy the ballgame. The general said: “Sorry, but we’ve got to man the force, and sports is a great place to find the warrior-athlete. … So hold on to them little SOBs for as long as you can because we need them.”

YUCK!!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Weekend reading: the militarization of sporting events in the USA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 12, 2018 06:23PM
It’s advertising.
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 12, 2018 06:56PM
Padres have been wearing cammies on Sunday home games for years. But there's also a rather large presence of military in attendance - and the team always gives free tix to MCRD recruits on Sundays. So it's kind of a marketing strategy of sorts, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 06:57PM by bfd.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 12, 2018 07:14PM
cbelt3
It’s advertising.

It's more than advertising; it's marketing.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 14, 2018 08:18AM
You know when, during one of the during-game breaks at a pro sports venue, they announcer will ask everyone to look at the Jumbotron and applaud our military service members sitting in a special section?

Yeah - that's product placement, paid in full by the Pentagon. The military shovels millions of promotonal/advertising dollars into efforts to push the military into civilian contexts and ask Americans to stand, applaud, and otherwise sign off on the militarism we unreflectively embrace as a nation.

But make no mistake - this isn't good will by your local sports franchise wanting to do the right thing and honor our troops. It's a paid service, and you paid for it.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015