advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Economic Anxiety Didn’t Make People Vote Trump, Racism Did"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 13, 2018 10:44PM

Our analysis shows Trump accelerated a realignment in the electorate around racism, across several different measures of racial animus—and that it helped him win. By contrast, we found little evidence to suggest individual economic distress benefited Trump. The American political system is sorting so that racial progressivism and economic progressivism are aligned in the Democratic Party and racial conservatism and economic conservatism are aligned in the Republican Party.

Both racial resentment and black influence animosity are significant predictors of Trump support among white respondents, independent of partisanship, ideology, education levels, and the other factors included in the model. The results indicate a probability of Trump support higher than 60 percent for an otherwise typical white voter who scores at the highest levels on either anti-black racial resentment or anti-black influence animosity. This compares to less than 30 percent chance for a typical white voter with below average scores on either of the two measures anti-black attitudes. There is approximately a 10 percent probability of a Trump vote for an otherwise typical white voter at the lowest levels of racial resentment.
[www.thenation.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Economic Anxiety Didn’t Make People Vote Trump, Racism Did"
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 13, 2018 10:59PM
I know lots of Trump voters and everyone is racist. I don't mean hood-wearing lynching racists. But, just upset in general that African Americans are around and messing up their white world. Getting part of the white man's taxes and then buying steak and lobster with their food stamps that the white man paid for. Taking the lobster home in their Cadillacs with gold spinners. Having a big screen TV while they're on welfare. Joining gangs. Wearing their pants around their knees. And then the Mexicans. Taking the white man's jobs. Joining gangs. Speaking Spanish in public. Murdering and raping. Playing their Mexican music too loud. Every white Republican I know is on this spectrum.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 14, 2018 10:39AM
it's important to also realize that Russia knew about this weakness in American society, and worked HARD to use it.

[slate.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 14, 2018 11:01AM
There was also a healthy dose of "eight years of a black guy! and now a woman! We're losing our country!"
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 14, 2018 12:02PM
Somebody tell that someone this.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 14, 2018 12:46PM
Thanks go to Pres. Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 01:28PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 14, 2018 01:02PM
I think there is a connection between racism and economic anxiety. For some whites, it’s bad enough that you feel that you’re losing ground economically, but to conflate that with the belief that black people are the reason really fuels racial animosity.

I disagree with a part of the quoted material: maybe economic conservativism used to be valued by the right, but that’s sure not the case now for the borrow and spend party. People need to stop giving Republicans a free ride on this issue. It galls me to hear Democrats maligned as the tax and spend party when that method is a heck of a lot more responsible than what the Republicans have done recently by cutting taxes and increased spending.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 14, 2018 09:54PM
Hillary made me vote for Trump.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 09:59PM by Bernie.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 14, 2018 10:10PM
Bernie... nope. bs smiley

[www.snopes.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 14, 2018 10:46PM
Ammo
It galls me to hear Democrats maligned as the tax and spend party when that method is a heck of a lot more responsible than what the Republicans have done recently by cutting taxes and increased spending.
The Democrats get the economy humming, the GOP comes in and ruins it; the Democrats fix it, the GOP comes in and ruins it again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 14, 2018 10:51PM
$tevie
Ammo
It galls me to hear Democrats maligned as the tax and spend party when that method is a heck of a lot more responsible than what the Republicans have done recently by cutting taxes and increased spending.
The Democrats get the economy humming, the GOP comes in and ruins it; the Democrats fix it, the GOP comes in and ruins it again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can only glue the china back together so many times.

Eventually there's simply not enough left to fix.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 15, 2018 06:34AM
Bernie
Hillary Willingly being lied to made me vote for Trump.

LOL it even has “meme” in the jpeg filename.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 15, 2018 07:57AM
Bernie
Hillary made me vote for Trump.

Oh, hey, yeah and don't forget that she is the real racist, as shown in this totally original and not at all in any way shape or form altered genuine photo!

Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 15, 2018 07:16PM
deckeda
Bernie
Hillary Willingly being lied to made me vote for Trump.

LOL it even has “meme” in the jpeg filename.

Awesome! If you read it in a meme, it must be true.

Posted by: hal
Date: May 15, 2018 07:32PM
why is it that repubs only criteria for believability is whether or not it sounds like something they want to be true?

yeah, that sounds like something Hillary would do - must be true!

hey bernie, where'd'ya go??
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 15, 2018 08:57PM
DeusxMac

[www.snopes.com]

OH, sure, Snopes, a liberal fact check site. How about using a conservative fact check site like, er, uh, let me get back to you after I find one.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 16, 2018 02:22PM
Speedy
DeusxMac

[www.snopes.com]

OH, sure, Snopes, a liberal fact check site. How about using a conservative fact check site like, er, uh, let me get back to you after I find one.

Use the search term "alternative facts". smoking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015