advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
In new financial disclosure, Trump reports apparent payment through his personal attorney to adult-film star
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 16, 2018 04:59PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

In new financial disclosure, Trump reports apparent payment through his personal attorney to adult-film star

In new financial-disclosure documents, President Trump reported reimbursing his personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, more than $100,000 last year — an apparent reference to the $130,000 that Cohen paid just before the 2016 election, to ensure the silence of an adult-film actress who claimed she’d had an affair with Trump.

The information was included as a footnote in the 92-page form filed with the Office of Government Ethics, which said in an accompanying letter that Trump should have listed the payment as a liability in his previous financial statement and referred the documents to the Justice Department.

But Trump’s attorneys said the president was disclosing the payment voluntarily, not because it was required but “in the interest of transparency.”

“In 2016 expenses were incurred by one of Donald J. Trump’s attorneys, Michael Cohen,” Trump’s lawyers wrote. “Mr. Cohen sought reimbursement of those expenses and Mr. Trump fully reimbursed Mr. Cohen in 2017. The category of value would be $100,001 — $250,000 and the interest rate would be zero.”

>>>

In another footnote, the Office of Government Ethics, which handles the financial-disclosure process for White House officials, said he had to.

“OGE has concluded that the information related to the payment made by Mr. Cohen is required to be reported and that the information provided meets the disclosure requirement for a reportable liability,” the agency said.

The ethics agency also sent a letter to the Department of Justice, notifying them of its opinion.

I think this is very significant,” said Larry Noble, a Washington ethics lawyer who once served as general counsel to the Federal Election Commission. “I am not aware of any other time when the Office of Government Ethics has referred a sitting president to the Justice Department for review of a possible filing of a false ethics report.”

The carefully worded letter from OGE, he said suggests a number of potential problems for President Trump.

The president’s counsel has recently acknowledged that Cohen paid Stormy Daniels in late 2016, and that Trump later repaid Cohen for the expenditure.

“First, it raises the question of whether Donald Trump should have reported this on his 2016 ethics disclosure as a liability,” Noble said. If he later realized he had failed to disclose it, the law requires public officials to submit an immediate amendment.

Finally, since all of this happened in the context of a campaign it appears that this was “an illegal contribution by Cohen,” Noble said.

Finally, Noble said, “this is just another situation where we learn things from this administration that contradict things we were previously told and points to potential violations of law.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: In new financial disclosure, Trump reports apparent payment through his personal attorney to adult-film star
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 16, 2018 06:07PM
“But Trump’s attorneys said the president was disclosing the payment voluntarily, not because it was required but “in the interest of transparency.”

Pardon me while I barf.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Re: In new financial disclosure, Trump reports apparent payment through his personal attorney to adult-film star
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 17, 2018 11:10AM
When you're full of @#$%&, it continually oozes out.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 17, 2018 12:07PM
I'm beginning to feel that none of this is going to matter. Trump was spot on about being able to shoot someone on Fifth Avenue, as long as he doesn't shoot a Nazi or a White Supremacist.

EDIT: this doesn't mean I don't think Trump can't get in trouble for financial reasons, like Al Capone did. It just means that I don't think any moral failings are going to dent his armor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 12:08PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 17, 2018 01:09PM
$tevie
I'm beginning to feel that none of this is going to matter.

It doesn't.

I read an article about the Maryland crab industry recently. It said that they are in trouble because they didn't get enough H2-B visas and they don't have enough workers to process the crabs. This is resulting in a loss of jobs (e.g. don't need as many truckers with less product).

One quote from the article (paraphrased), "Yeah, it sucks, but I'd still vote for Trump."
Date: May 17, 2018 01:25PM
Lux Interior
$tevie

It doesn't.

I read an article about the Maryland crab industry recently. It said that they are in trouble because they didn't get enough H2-B visas and they don't have enough workers to process the crabs. This is resulting in a loss of jobs (e.g. don't need as many truckers with less product).

One quote from the article (paraphrased), "Yeah, it sucks, but I'd still vote for Trump."

There is no cure for stupid.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2018 02:57PM
.....if only Trump would catch a case of the crabs.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 17, 2018 03:46PM
Speedy
Lux Interior
$tevie

It doesn't.

There is no cure for stupid.

Dems still haven't cleaned house after all the issues that Clinton left them with, and Pelosi is still one of the best fundraising names for Evangelicals and conservatives. The blue wave will only wash so much trash away.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: May 17, 2018 05:23PM
I like Rep. Pelosi and I hope she hangs in there until she can take the speakers gavel again.

Date: May 17, 2018 06:24PM
Lux Interior
$tevie

It doesn't.

The Eastern Shore keeps sending mega-stupid Andy Harris back to Congress. My family used to live over there, and it's beautiful and peaceful, but when you get away from the area we lived (next to Washington College) you find a vast amount of brain dead people.

Posted by: pdq
Date: May 18, 2018 07:20AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Dems still haven't cleaned house after all the issues that Clinton left them with,

You mean that she used email? Or perhaps the nerve of her and her husband founding a non-profit that actually did great good? Or are we still on about Benghazi?

Filliam H. Muffman
and Pelosi is still one of the best fundraising names for Evangelicals and conservatives.

Can you point to a policy she has espoused that you disagree with? I’m not saying she gets a lifetime appointment as House Dem leader - I think it’s good to let new people take over - but playing along with irrational demonization doesn’t sound like a winning strategy to me.
Date: May 19, 2018 03:19PM
I have a knee-jerk reaction to Pelosi slams and here it comes again:
[www.theatlantic.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015