advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Senate votes to restore ‘net neutrality’
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 16, 2018 06:00PM
Maybe it's not over yet.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Democrats, joined by three Republicans, pushed through a measure Wednesday intended to revive Obama-era internet rules that ensured equal treatment for all web traffic, though opposition in the House and the White House seems insurmountable.

Republicans on the short end of the 52-47 vote described the effort to reinstate “net neutrality” rules as “political theater” because the GOP-controlled House is not expected to take up the issue and the Senate’s margin could not overcome a presidential veto.

Democrats, however, were undeterred, saying their push would energize young voters who are tech savvy and value unfettered access to the internet. “This is a defining vote. The most important vote we’re going to have in this generation on the internet,” said Democratic Sen. Edward Markey of Massachusetts, who sponsored the measure.

AP News

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Senate votes to restore ‘net neutrality’
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 16, 2018 06:13PM
steve...
Republicans on the short end of the 52-47 vote described the effort to reinstate “net neutrality” rules as “political theater” because the GOP-controlled House is not expected to take up the issue and the Senate’s margin could not overcome a presidential veto.

God forbid republicans do something just because it's the right thing to do.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 16, 2018 08:15PM
The standard three switch votes -- GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, John Kennedy of Louisiana and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 16, 2018 08:28PM
techcrunch.com/2018/05/16/after-senate-victory-house-announces-plans-to-force-its-own-vote-on-net-neutrality/
"But in the House a majority is required, 218 at present. That’s a more difficult ask, since Democrats only hold 193 seats there. They’d need two dozen Republicans to switch sides, and while it’s clear from the defection of three Senators from the party line that such bipartisan support is possible, it’s far from a done deal."

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2018 07:16AM
....the consensus is that the chances of it passing.....are......slim.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 17, 2018 08:55AM
It will amount to nothing.

Even if the house backs it (which is highly doubtful), Trump will Veto and there were not enough senate votes to overturn.

Prepare to be gouged and throttled.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 17, 2018 09:37AM
It does make a dandy argument for flipping the House. And yes, that still doesn’t make it law, but then it makes a dandy argument for flipping the WH.

Especially if, by that time, we have all gotten to experience non-net-neutrality.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 17, 2018 10:14AM
Not "fake news," but "doesn't matter news."

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: May 17, 2018 10:29AM
rjmacs

I dunno- kids these days are pretty strongly for net neutrality. I think if a House candidate says “elect me, and flip the House, and we’ll pass net neutrality”, that might inspire a vote or two.

I mean, Republicans do far worse stuff All. The. Time. Like voting for a balanced budget amendment after passing a tax cut that guarantees a return to trillion-plus deficits. Or passing obviously unconstitutional abortion bans that they then spend taxpayer dollars on futilely defending in court. That’s posing.

This is real stuff. Put Dems in charge, get net neutrality back.
Date: May 17, 2018 10:49AM
pdq
rjmacs

I dunno- kids these days are pretty strongly for net neutrality. I think if a House candidate says “elect me, and flip the House, and we’ll pass net neutrality”, that might inspire a vote or two.

I mean, Republicans do far worse stuff All. The. Time. Like voting for a balanced budget amendment after passing a tax cut that guarantees a return to trillion-plus deficits. Or passing obviously unconstitutional abortion bans that they then spend taxpayer dollars on futilely defending in court. That’s posing.

Too late. This attempt was using the Congressional Review Act, which must be acted on within 60 legislative days of the new regulation or rule taking effect. Jan 1, 2019 won't affect this at all.

If you think that the Congress (House and Senate) can achieve a veto-proof majority for Net Neutrality by next January, that is very optimistic!

rj
AKA
Date: May 17, 2018 11:38AM
rjmacs
pdq
rjmacs

Too late. This attempt was using the Congressional Review Act, which must be acted on within 60 legislative days of the new regulation or rule taking effect. Jan 1, 2019 won't affect this at all.

If you think that the Congress (House and Senate) can achieve a veto-proof majority for Net Neutrality by next January, that is very optimistic!

Didn't say that. I said, put Dems back in charge, get net neutrality back. For those folks that think preserving Social Security/Medicare/Obamacare/equality, etc isn't a flashy enough message to get young folks to vote, this sort of message might help.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 17, 2018 12:03PM
I think it's important for people to let the Senate know, by social media, emails, calls, whatever they are comfortable with, that folks are very pleased with this. Perhaps praise can work on Congress the way it works on dogs.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 17, 2018 12:16PM
pdq
... Especially if, by that time, we have all gotten to experience non-net-neutrality.

Half of politics is marketing the message.

Example:
We've ALL experienced non-net-neutrality, for years, because there isn't enough competition (or, regulation) to stifle the incessant rise in monthly cable and TV bills. The natural corollary to that is reduced services (channels, bandwidth etc.)

Their costs continually go down, but rates do not reflect that. Companies work hard to say the Internet is optional, and offer lovely tiers as if to prove it, when everyone now realizes it's essential today.

(Needs a slogan.)
Date: May 17, 2018 01:20PM
pdq
rjmacs

Didn't say that. I said, put Dems back in charge, get net neutrality back. For those folks that think preserving Social Security/Medicare/Obamacare/equality, etc isn't a flashy enough message to get young folks to vote, this sort of message might help.

Oh, you meant 2020/21.

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015