advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Hey ! Did anyone notice that the ERA needs one more state ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 31, 2018 09:26AM
[www.chicagotribune.com]

"The Illinois House voted Wednesday night to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment more than 45 years after it was approved by Congress, putting it one state away from possible enshrinement in the U.S. Constitution amid potential legal questions."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hey ! Did anyone notice that the ERA needs one more state ?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 31, 2018 09:35AM
Wow that's great, thank you for posting this!

The 15 states that did not ratify the Equal Rights Amendment before the 1982 deadline were Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, and Virginia.
[www.equalrightsamendment.org]

The usual suspects - Illinois cannot have been proud to be on that list. Glad they fixed it.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 31, 2018 09:57AM
Lemon,
Yeah, I'm kind of ashamed that the chief opponent of the ERA in Missouri was a close friend of my mother's. And I went to school with her sons. They were all jerks.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 31, 2018 10:13AM
cbelt3
Lemon,
Yeah, I'm kind of ashamed that the chief opponent of the ERA in Missouri was a close friend of my mother's. And I went to school with her sons. They were all jerks.

... but at least one of her relatives make decent beer there today. And in 2014 he finally got the trademark patent to use his own name on the label, despite her stupid legal objection. So there's that.

It's as if she had been asked, "What would you like to do last, before you die?" with her answer being, "Hurt successful members of my family, the way I hurt all women years ago, because it's all about ME ME ME."
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 31, 2018 10:48AM
Likely next target could be VA. The legislature is in play lately.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 31, 2018 11:28AM
VA legislature just passed the Medicare expansion, so reason may be creeping in...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 31, 2018 01:45PM
Justice Gorsuch will be the vote that causes the amendment to fail once the requisite states have ratified.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 31, 2018 02:21PM
Why would it fail? I don't recall hearing about a time limit on ratification...
Posted by: artie67
Date: May 31, 2018 03:34PM
Nevada passed the ERA on March 21, 2017.

[www.npr.org]
Date: May 31, 2018 03:37PM
pdq
Why would it fail? I don't recall hearing about a time limit on ratification...

There have been two limits imposed on ratification, but it remains unclear whether such a limit is constitutional.

rj
AKA
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 31, 2018 05:45PM
VA is the only one on the list that might happen in the near future.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 31, 2018 06:15PM
I could maybe see AZ or FL being possibilities. Maybe MO with the Greitens thing. NC more of a stretch.

Probably not a snowball’s chance in hell for the Old South.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 31, 2018 06:28PM
Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

I don't like it.

Needs to be broader.

In furtherance of the principle that all natural persons have the right to life, liberty and security the quality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sexual identity, gender, race, skin-color, social origin, property, parentage, political jurisdiction or national origin, and all natural persons shall have the right to an effective remedy for acts violating the rights enunciated in this constitution.

(Borrowed a bit from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and some overlap with the 14th Amendment, but the overlap was there to begin with.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2018 06:36PM by Sarcany.
Date: June 01, 2018 07:49AM
Sarcany
Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

I don't like it.

Needs to be broader.

In furtherance of the principle that all natural persons have the right to life, liberty and security the quality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sexual identity, gender, race, skin-color, social origin, property, parentage, political jurisdiction or national origin, and all natural persons shall have the right to an effective remedy for acts violating the rights enunciated in this constitution.

(Borrowed a bit from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and some overlap with the 14th Amendment, but the overlap was there to begin with.)

Please attach your plan and timeline for passage of this change to the existing language of the amendment in your subsequent post.

ROTFL

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 295
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015