AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
A chilling connection for "I don't care"
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 25, 2018 04:02PM

A brief (fascist) history of ‘I don’t care’

By Giovanni Tiso
22.Jun.18

This article was sparked by the jacket that Melania Trump wore as she travelled to a detention camp for migrant children, but my intent isn’t to argue that she or her staff chose that jacket in order to send a coded message to the president’s far-right followers. It is, rather, to highlight some of the historical echoes of that phrase – ‘I don’t care’.

The echoes of which someone ought to have been aware, especially in an administration that includes – to put it mildly – several far-right sympathisers. And also to show that the attitude, the theatrical ‘not caring’, was an explicit character trait of Fascism.

Which, at the very least, seems a troubling coincidence.

Fascism lay its roots in the campaign for Italy’s late entry in the First World War, of which Mussolini was one of the leaders. It was at this time that the phrase ‘me ne frego’ – which at the time was still considered quite vulgar, along the lines of the English ‘I don’t give a @#$%&’ – was sung by members of the special force known as arditi (literally: ‘the daring ones’) who volunteered for the front, to signify that they didn’t care if they should lose their lives.

The arditi were disbanded after the war, but many of them volunteered in 1919 for an expedition led by the poet Gabriele D’Annunzio to capture the city of Fiume (Rijeka, in present-day Croatia) and claim it for Italy during the vacuum created by the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian empire. At the time of this occupation, former arditi also formed the backbone of the original Black Squads during the terror campaigns that began in 1919 and culminated with the ‘March on Rome’ of 1922, which completed Fascism’s swift rise to power.

Four years ago, speaking at a First World War commemoration in the small town of Redipuglia, Pope Francis linked ‘me ne frego’ not only with the carnage of that conflict, but also with the horrors of Fascism, recognising its ideological and propaganda value for Mussolini’s project. This is the form in which the slogan has survived until the present day, as a linguistic signifier not of generic indifference, but of ideological nostalgia. And because the attempts in Italy and beyond to stem the spread of such signifiers have been comprehensively abandoned, we readily find those words appearing not just on seemingly ubiquitous Fascist-era memorabilia but also on posters, t-shirts, or [a] line of stickers that can be purchased for $.193 from Redbubble (motto ‘awesome products designed by independent artists’), where it was uploaded by user ‘fashdivision’.

The international neofascist movement is of course well aware of this lineage. By way of example, if you search for it online you’ll find a long-running English-language podcast called Me ne frego which recycles this imagery in support of arguments against immigration and multiculturalism, or to opine on the subject of ‘the Jewish question’. I don’t doubt that people close both to the Trump administration and this world are similarly cognisant of the uses to which those three words have been put. But even for those who aren’t, claims to indifference have a history which we mustn’t allow ourselves to forget.

Follow link for images and a little more history:

[overland.org.au]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A chilling connection for "I don't care"
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 25, 2018 11:07PM
Really, none of this has made sense to me. If you didn’t care, why would you go? I can’t believe she was badgered so much as to be “forced” to go and then push back with a loud passive-aggressive response?

My initial reaction was that is was an F-You to the hubby (which seems just as plausible ...)

I’ve already spent more than a minute thinking about this, my maximum.
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 26, 2018 05:20AM
Whatever this "means" or whatever is "intended," what I see in this display is an utter lack of self-awareness or comprehension of the historical-political situation in which she finds herself. No, she's not the same as her husband, but she is totally out of her depth.

Be best.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 26, 2018 08:22AM
Some of would be fine if they'd just "Be Better"…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2018 08:23AM by bfd.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 26, 2018 08:34AM
Maybe there's a fascist connection. Or maybe it's just an edgy catch-phrase coined among the younger generation, the kind that people over forty usually screw up when they try to use it. I vote for "lack of self-awareness."
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 26, 2018 09:05AM
I think the phrase “clueless” applies here.

A modern day representation of the apocryphal Marie Antoinette.
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 26, 2018 09:07AM
Whatever reason it was totally out of place.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 26, 2018 10:25AM
Many on the left long for signs that the First Lady opposes her husband. They should be careful not to read too much into situations that are ambiguous.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 26, 2018 12:24PM
45 has wheeled Melania into his domain.

She may be implicated in the Cohen records.
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 26, 2018 03:09PM
sekker

Wouldn’t that be a kick if her name showed up with somethingemoticon-animal-022
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 26, 2018 08:42PM
samintx
sekker

Wouldn’t that be a kick if her name showed up with somethingemoticon-animal-022

Maybe enough to get her citizenship revoked and then she gets deported. One can hope.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 27, 2018 12:05AM
It's a mini-Mob. They're all guilty of something.

"We'll see…"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018