advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Amy, Mother of 7 the future Supreme pick?
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 03, 2018 08:16AM
[www.bustle.com] woman, Catholic, 40s, 7 kids would be hard to for Dems to justify a NO. However the "Catholic" aspect rules out abortion (not religion) along with 7 kids would be a big plus. Only way to boost this pick would be if one of the children was disabled in some way......i.e. laws not aborting a physically handicapped fetus.

I don't think there is anyway we are going to get a Middle of the Road candidate.

[www.ncregister.com]

This last article includes her husband, Jesse

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 09:16AM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amy, Mother of 7 the future Supreme pick?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 03, 2018 08:46AM
A woman, Catholic, 40s, 7 kids

there's not one thing there that qualifies a person to be a Supreme Court Justice. I've never heard anyone refer to the number of children a male justice has, when discussing qualifications.

Why are we calling her by her first name? I disagree with her social and legal positions but this lady has earned the right to not be called by her first name when strangers discuss her career. We do that naturally for men, why not women?

It will be very easy to say "no" to Justice Coney Barrett, who has very little federal bench experience. I could easily see the Democratic Senators rejecting her as someone hostile to the protection of reproductive rights, and not based on her religion but on her stated interpretation of the law.

There's a good overview of her position on abortion here:
[www.bustle.com]
Essentially she doesn't believe abortion should be a federally protected right, but rather something decided by the states. We know how that will play out...

She clerked with Scalia, so it's safe to say she's probably a fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 08:47AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 03, 2018 10:30AM
Not a chance. Aren't there enough of those women on the court already?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 03, 2018 11:35AM
Just what we need, another practicing Catholic on the court.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 11:35AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 03, 2018 01:57PM
This would be a shewd move by Putin Trump, I mean Trump!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 03, 2018 03:19PM
A piece in Slate today mentions that Ms. Barrett is a member of "People of Praise":

People of Praise members are said to be accountable to a same-sex adviser, called a “head” for men and (until recently) a “handmaiden” for women, who gives input on a wide variety of personal decisions. They swear “a lifelong oath of loyalty” to the group.

Apparently, it's less nutty than it sounds. And I tend to think any woman would be better than a Scalia or a Gorsuch.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 03, 2018 03:29PM
pdq
And I tend to think any woman would be better than a Scalia or a Gorsuch.

I disagree. You can hope for something better to come along, but that simply is not happening to America now. The record says it's only getting worse.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 03, 2018 04:00PM
pdq
A piece in Slate today mentions that Ms. Barrett is a member of "People of Praise":

People of Praise members are said to be accountable to a same-sex adviser, called a “head” for men and (until recently) a “handmaiden” for women, who gives input on a wide variety of personal decisions. They swear “a lifelong oath of loyalty” to the group.

Apparently, it's less nutty than it sounds. And I tend to think any woman would be better than a Scalia or a Gorsuch.

Sounds pretty nutty to me.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 03, 2018 04:12PM
Dennis S
Sounds pretty nutty to me.

Well, yes, kinda nutty. But life has taught me that otherwise reasonable people can have ideas that seem batshit crazy to me in three areas: politics, sex, and religion.

Once some time ago I was talking with a woman in my science-related training program, and she mentioned that yes, her cousin's rosary had turned.

Turned, we said?

To gold, she said, matter-of-factly. (Apparently this is a thing, along with crying statues, etc)

We just had to laugh. Not derisively, but in a throw-up-your-hands sort of way. How can you argue against that?

Anyway, such nuttiness doesn't mean a person can't be objectionable in other ways, but it doesn't guarantee it either, at least in my experience.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 04, 2018 01:30AM
pdq

Actually it is every bit as nutty as it sounds. It is one of a number a charismatic movements that have been attracting the conservative fringe of the Catholics as well as other Christian sect. Became more familiar with them through family than I ever wanted to.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 04, 2018 09:26AM
Having someone to confide in, to report to about personal goals can be very effective. Friend, sibling, parent, spouse, pastor, psychiatrist, etc. The only "oath" needed is that the person listening swear to not blab about you to others. But not everyone asked to fill that role of confidant may be familiar with the expectations. Nothing wrong with defining it a bit, setting some guidelines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 09:27AM by Acer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018