AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
U.S. has nearly 3,000 separated migrant kids still in cages
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 05, 2018 01:13PM
KIDS STILL IN CAGES

U.S. has nearly 3,000 separated migrant kids
[www.nbcnews.com]
WASHINGTON — The U.S. government is reviewing the cases of nearly 3,000 children in its care who say they were separated from their parents when they crossed the U.S. border as it rushes to meet a court imposed deadline to reunite migrant families, according to Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar.

Previously, Azar had told a Senate panel that his agency had 2,047 children remaining to reunify with their parents in the wake of the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" policy, but he told reporters on Thursday that the number is larger because a court order has required HHS to reunite all separated migrant children, even those taken from their parents before zero tolerance went into effect in early May.

Azar also said some children who are part of the nearly 3,000 may not qualify for reunification because they became separated from their parents during their journey and not by U.S. border agents.

"It's important to remember that information from children can at times be unreliable," Azar said, adding that HHS is reviewing datasets from the Department of Homeland Security to verify the claims.

Azar also said that the traditional method of verifying parental claims over a child, through documents like a birth certificate, will take too long. So the agency will be conducting DNA tests by taking a cheek swab of every child before matching him or her with a parent.

A federal judge in the Southern District of California ordered that the government must reunite parents separated from children younger than 5 by July 10 and children ages 5-17 by July 26.

Azar called those deadlines "extreme" and warned that some procedures the agency usually follows to ensure children go to their rightful parents and safe homes may have to be nixed. "We will comply even if those deadlines prevent us from conducting a standard or even a truncated vetting process," Azar said.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: U.S. has nearly 3,000 separated migrant kids still in cages
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 05, 2018 01:53PM
Tell me. Exactly what did Melania’s 2 trips accomplish? Did I miss the news? She has photo opps for the history book but what am I missing?

Seems to me she is trottted out either for a photo opp or to change the headline of the day. She didn’t visit the kids or state anything concrete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 01:54PM by samintx.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 05, 2018 02:03PM
samintx
Tell me. Exactly what did Melania’s 2 trips accomplish?

It demonstrated exactly how much she cared.

With no hidden meaning whatsoever. It was very clear.

Posted by: pdq
Date: July 05, 2018 02:37PM
I don't quite get the DNA tests. Did they lose track of who-belongs-to-who? Will the kids not recognize their own parent (or be able to tell if a non-parent tries to claim them)?

What a fustercluck.
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 05, 2018 02:56PM
pdq
I don't quite get the DNA tests. Did they lose track of who-belongs-to-who? Will the kids not recognize their own parent (or be able to tell if a non-parent tries to claim them)?

What a fustercluck.

They never paid any attention to who-belongs-to-who when they appropriated the children. Many of the kids are so young they are non-verbal, and even verbal toddlers can be remarkably uncommunicative when they are scared. So how do they even begin to figure out who belongs to who?

You are right about the fustercluck.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 05, 2018 03:42PM
One has to question whether some of these kids will ever see their parents again…

What a horrible position this asshattery of an administration has put our country into.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 06, 2018 01:18PM
His core supporters are disappointed that these people were not taken out back and shot. Just more tax payer money wasted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 287
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018