advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Where did these 8 GOP congressfolk spend July 4th?
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 06, 2018 04:48PM
Why, in Moscow, of course, hoping to meet Putin!

“I’m not here today to accuse Russia of this or that or so forth,” [Senator Richard] Shelby [R-AL, said]...

“I asked our friends in Russia not to interfere in our elections this year,” one of the Moscow Mules, Kennedy, said after their meetings. “I asked them to exit Ukraine and allow Ukraine to self-determine. I asked for the same thing in Crimea. I asked for their help in bringing peace to Syria. And I asked them not to allow Iran to gain a foothold in Syria.”

Apparently he didn’t say “pretty please with a cherry on top,” because the Russians were dismissive of the Americans’ pleading.

...The Post’s Karoun Demirjian reports that state television in Russia mocked the meek Americans. One Russian military expert said, “We need to look down at them and say: You came because you needed to, not because we did.”

...Yet despite this lavish display of the freedom to kowtow, they didn’t get the meeting they hoped for with Putin himself.

He was busy, the Kremlin said.

Awww. Well, he's an important, busy guy. He doesn't take meetings with just anyone, you know?

There was a time, in the pre-Trump era, when Republicans would have erupted in fireworks over an Independence Day visit by submissive American lawmakers to the country the 2012 Republican presidential nominee called “our number one geopolitical foe.”

Gee, ya think? But that was then, this is now, comrade. So shut up and bring me my borscht, da?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Where did these 8 GOP congressfolk spend July 4th?
Posted by: max
Date: July 06, 2018 05:51PM
Those who are ignorant of the past, pdq, are doomed to repeat the BS over and over....

For Paul R Pillar, a senior fellow at the Centre for Security Studies at Georgetown University and a former senior CIA officer, the initial fault lies with the West.
"The relationship went wrong when the West did not treat Russia as a nation that had shaken off Soviet Communism," he told me. "It should have been welcomed as such into a new community of nations - but instead it was regarded as the successor state of the USSR, inheriting its status as the principal focus of Western distrust."
This original sin, if you like, was compounded by the West's enthusiasm for Nato expansion, first taking in countries like Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary, who had long nationalist traditions of struggling against rule from Moscow.
But Nato's expansion didn't end there as it added countries like the three Baltic States, whose territory had been part of the former Soviet Union. Is it any wonder then, the critics ask, that Moscow should baulk also at the idea of Georgia or Ukraine entering the western orbit?
In short, Russia believes that it has been treated unfairly since the end of the Cold War.
This, of course, is not the conventional view in the West, which prefers to focus on Russian "revanchism"
[www.bbc.com]

And then, of course, we have the most idiotic foreign policy decision by Bill Clinton, to divert domestic political attention from his poking problems, by illegally bombing another sovereign country, that marked the turning point in previously pro-western Russian policies....

On March 24, 1999, Russian Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov was on his way to Washington when he got word that NATO had begun bombing Kosovo. He ordered his plane turned around. A few hours later, he landed in a Moscow that was reeling from the insult of not being consulted. Russians had only a vague idea of what Kosovo was but a very strong concept of Serbia being a land of fellow Eastern Orthodox Slavs and of Yugoslavia being a rightful part of Moscow's sphere of influence. Not being consulted—or even, apparently, warned—sent the very clear message that the U.S. had decided it now presided over a unipolar world. There was no longer even the pretense of recognizing Russia's fading-superpower status: President Bill Clinton had chosen not to wait the few hours it would have taken for Primakov to land in Washington, allowing him to save face by at least pretending to have been in on the conversation.

From this point on, Russian President Boris Yeltsin's administration, already weak and embattled, would be unable to justify its friendly, perennially de-escalating posture toward the West. Anti-American feelings ran so high you would have thought the U.S. were bombing Russia
[www.slate.com]

Thank you Bill Clinton....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 06, 2018 06:13PM
No question the West missed a huge opportunity when the USSR fell. For many Russians, Communism was far better than nascent, wild wild west 'democracy.'

Blaming the fall of Yeltzin on Clinton is an oversimplification.

No matter how we got here, we now have a functional Czar ruling the former USSR.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 06, 2018 06:25PM
Bill and Hillary didn't.
They did all they could to help Putin make Russia great again.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 06, 2018 06:31PM
I guess the Putin/GOP trolls were busy defending some other treason when this was posted on June 25.
[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: max
Date: July 06, 2018 07:50PM
sekker
No matter how we got here, we now have a functional Czar ruling the former USSR.

Sure, lets ignore an inconvenient lesson from the past, especially that another warmongering Clinton's name is associated with it.
Predictably, the clueless warmongers, here, are pushing for more of the same.

Those who are ignorant of the past, sekker, are doomed to repeat their BS over and over....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 06, 2018 10:27PM

sorry, Putin's busy with his real friends
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015