advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
#IDAdam: social media shaming of racists also getting them fired
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 07, 2018 03:29PM
Seems like these incidents pop up every few days - the latest this white guy in North Carolina who insisted a black woman enjoying their private neighborhood pool show ID, when he wasn't asking anyone else. She lived there and had a key card to the pool.
He's now been fired by his employer, Sonoco, where he was a business manager, over negative publicity from the event that also earned him the nickname #IDAdam.
The pool has no connection to his employer. He was a board member of the pool.

[www.nytimes.com]

There's also been #PermitPatty, #BBQBecky, and others...these people are harassing their fellow community members for no good reason and their actions appear to be racially motivated.

Should they also be losing their jobs...??
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: #IDAdam: social media shaming of racists also getting them fired
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 07, 2018 04:25PM
Probably not, but tough luck. In this day and age of viral social media, one can be tried and fried before they ever get a court date.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 07, 2018 04:28PM
Well, I certainly wouldn't want a racist a-hole in my place of biz, but we really gotta be careful. I only glanced at an article about this - his side was that he had pool duty that day and someone came to him with a complaint that he followed up on. That might be a reasonable defense. DID NOT SEE THE VIDEO.

But there is no reason to automatically be ejected from the job in every case. I'd say every employer needs to take a close look at what happened in these cases and consider what should be done next, but losing the job shouldn't be automatic.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 07, 2018 08:49PM
Yeah. Employers actually have to follow labor law. Expect every employment contract to include language about “bringing social media shame”.

Eventually we may go as far as the Chinese ?
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 07, 2018 11:08PM
#IDAdams are everywhere. They now feel more able to act openly on their views thanks to 45.

Social media is one of the few corrections we have.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 08, 2018 02:20AM
cbelt3
Yeah. Employers actually have to follow labor law. Expect every employment contract to include language about “bringing social media shame”.

Eventually we may go as far as the Chinese ?

What labor laws would those be? In most states employment is "at will", unless you have a contract or are a member of a union and covered by its contract, an employer can let you go for almost any reason. Most employees do not have a contract, generally just upper management and professionals do.
Date: July 08, 2018 09:03AM
sekker
#IDAdams are everywhere. They now feel more able to act openly on their views thanks to 45.

Social media is one of the few corrections we have.

I agree. Social media has created allyship for people who experience the type of bullying this lady experienced at her neighborhood pool. It also creates allies for the bullies, but that's not usually the team that major companies or towns want cheering for them.
I did watch the short video of the police visit and it was encouraging to hear that other neighbors at the pool were speaking up for the lady and challenging #IDAdam about his "policy" of asking for ID. That's the best way to be an ally. In person support when you're a witness.
You could sense that these cops knew they were in a soon-to-be-viral video situation, they were so measured that it seemed scripted.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 08, 2018 04:01PM
I'm inherently suspicious of anything resembling a trial by public opinion. For example, in the recent MAGA hat theft story, there are two divergent accounts:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Or:

' The witness, who asked to remain anonymous, told KENS 5 that the teens in the video joked about “hanging blacks” and killing off minorities before they were targeted.
“They were talking about the Fourth of July hanging black people from trees that that would be the perfect party. Hopefully, with Donald Trump within the next few years, we can celebrate a white country, a real country without blacks. Maybe we can deport them to Africa,” the witness told KENS 5.
“They said they wanted it to be legal for white people to kill any other race for the Fourth of July,” he claimed. '

[www.nydailynews.com]

Not to say that the hat stealer shouldn't be held responsible for his actions but the takeaway from each version is quite different.

It is important that interactions between police and the public now are recorded and coming out. I've been ordered by law enforcement to stop photographing or recording and required to move an unreasonable distance away, and friends have been arrested for 'interfering' while doing the same.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 08, 2018 08:49PM
If a person loses their job and cannot find another one, they may end up in desperate financial straits. I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea that someone could end up evicted or having to move back home with their parents because they are @#$%&. Plenty of @#$%& aren't racist, are we going to start trying to get them fired, too? Do we want our tax dollars to support @#$%& who end up on welfare and food stamps?

I totally understand why an employer wouldn't want the bad publicity and bad feelings of keeping a racist jerk around, but at the same time it seems kind of extreme. If it was left wingers losing their jobs for some kind of @#$%& action, we'd all be citing Nazi Germany and the way people there lost their jobs for being Jewish. We have to be consistent.

Posted by: sekker
Date: July 08, 2018 10:59PM
$tevie
If a person loses their job and cannot find another one, they may end up in desperate financial straits. I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea that someone could end up evicted or having to move back home with their parents because they are @#$%&. Plenty of @#$%& aren't racist, are we going to start trying to get them fired, too? Do we want our tax dollars to support @#$%& who end up on welfare and food stamps?

I totally understand why an employer wouldn't want the bad publicity and bad feelings of keeping a racist jerk around, but at the same time it seems kind of extreme. If it was left wingers losing their jobs for some kind of @#$%& action, we'd all be citing Nazi Germany and the way people there lost their jobs for being Jewish. We have to be consistent.

Fair enough, but we are living in times where public opinion is one of the few tools against rampant governmental racism.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 08, 2018 11:47PM
Yeah, the "other side" will soon learn how to play this game as well. And possibly be better at it.
Date: July 10, 2018 09:50AM
[www.nytimes.com]

Then there's this one. White apartment manager in Memphis calls police on black man at pool who wouldn't take off his socks. She said socks are not proper pool attire. She's available for hire now if anyone needs an apartment manager.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015