advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Indiana GOP "rising star" flaming out
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 09, 2018 03:13PM

[Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill,] a staunch social conservative who is married, had been viewed as a rising star in the Republican Party since his election in 2016. The former Elkhart County prosecutor is also an Elvis impersonator who has relished punditry appearances on Fox News. He was the single greatest vote getter in Indiana history when he was elected to office in 2016.

In May, he warmed up the crowd at a rally held by President Donald Trump in Hill's native Elkhart. He's also visited the White House several times since Trump took office.

But according to a number of women that have come forward, he's got something else in common with the pres:

...a lawmaker and three legislative staffers said Hill inappropriately touched them at a party in the early morning hours of March 15, shortly after Indiana's legislative session came to a close...The memo includes details from interviews conducted with six women who attended the end-of-session party.

The lawmaker said an intoxicated Hill put his hands on her back, slid them down her back, put them under her clothes and grabbed her buttocks, according to the memo. She told him to "back off" and walked away, but Hill approached her again later and again reached under her clothing and grabbed her.

At least one woman has come forward publicly:

My name is Mara Candelaria Reardon.

I am not anonymous.

...He greeted me and the staffer that was with me. While I do not know him personally, we had met before. As we were exchanging pleasantries, Curtis Hill leaned toward me as if he could not hear me and placed his hand on my back and slid his hand down to my buttocks and grabbed it. I said “back off,” and walked away, as the staffer with me stood shocked.

When does a clumsy pass become harassment?

Later in the evening, I was standing with a group of people, and he approached the group. Hill came up behind me and put his hand on my back again and said, “That skin. That back.” I recoiled away before he could touch my buttocks again.

Well that's getting there...

...a few weeks later, I was having lunch with a fellow legislator and a member of the legislative staff. At that time, the staffer, still shocked and disgusted, told us that after I went home, Curtis Hill continued to grope at least four other women, herself included.

FWIW, this was actually investigated, which found the women's stories consistent and credible. But at least in Indiana, it wasn't enough:

The document, dated June 18, states that Hill's alleged conduct toward the legislative employees may have been "inappropriate," but was "likely not severe or pervasive enough to result in a hostile work environment."

To date, Hill denies everything, and says he's not stepping down.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Indiana GOP "rising star" flaming out
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 09, 2018 03:29PM
All he was doing was beginning his next Republican campaign. This news will endear him to evangelicals everywhere if Pres. Trump is an example.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 04:01PM by Speedy.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 09, 2018 04:42PM
Control of Women appears to be a key element of the Republican party.
Don't own your uterus.
Don't own your genitalia.
Don't own your breasts. Including nursing babies.
Don't have custody of your children, we'll keep them in concentration camps.

Can ANYONE explain why ANY woman would support these misogynistic morons ?
Date: July 09, 2018 04:59PM
cbelt3

^ this. Forty one percent of all women voted for Trump (and fifty two percent (!) of white women).

And so now, among other things, Roe v Wade is going to be effectively reversed, at least in red states.

Elections matter, folks. I'm just glad my wife and daughters are unlikely to suffer the consequences.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 10, 2018 04:11AM
cbelt3

Uh, the 'submit unto your husband' crowd is large and growing.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 10, 2018 08:53AM
Speedy
cbelt3

Really? I thought the trend in the US was away from organized religion.
Date: July 10, 2018 01:43PM
Sam3
Speedy
cbelt3

What makes you think that has anything to do with religion?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 11, 2018 11:10AM
pdq
Sam3
Speedy
cbelt3

What makes you think that has anything to do with religion?

Umm... maybe because there are bible passages regarding it?

Bible
Ephesians 5:
21Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.
23For the husband is head of the wife, just as Christ is the head of the church, His body, of which He is the Savior.…

Esther 1:20
The edict the king issues will be heard throughout his vast kingdom—and so all women, from the least to the greatest, will honor their husbands.”

Esther 1:22
He sent letters to all the provinces of the kingdom, to each province in its own script and to each people in their own language, proclaiming that every man should be master of his own household.

1 Corinthians 14:34
women are to be silent in the churches. They are not permitted to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.

Ephesians 6:5
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear and sincerity of heart, just as you would show to Christ.

Colossians 3:18
Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

Titus 2:5
to be self-controlled, pure, managers of their households, kind, and subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be discredited.

1 Peter 3:1
Wives, in the same way, submit yourselves to your husbands, so that even if they refuse to believe the word, they will be won over without words by the behavior of their wives
Date: July 11, 2018 01:56PM
There are also bible passages telling us to love our neighbor...that we were once strangers in a strange land...that we should render up to Caesar that which is Caesar's (and for that matter, that eating shellfish is forbidden).

The "submit unto your husband" group is just another one that picks and chooses bits of the bible to fit their preconceived biases and plans.

That's not religion, if you ask me. In this case, it's just plain old misogyny.

As an example, here's a guy running for Congress in Virginia:

He believes in instituting a patriarchal system, with women under the authority of men; he supports abolishing age restrictions for marriage and laws against marital rape; he believes that white supremacy is a “system that works,” that Hitler was a “good thing for Germany,” and that incest should be legalized, at least in the context of marriage. And at one point in a conversation with The Post, he seemed to express admiration for the system run by the Taliban in Afghanistan

Would you consider him a godly man? A Christian? Of course not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 02:32PM by pdq.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 14, 2018 12:35PM
I don't understand the argument here. Women submitting to men is a definite part of the right wing evangelical Christian movement. It's not up for debate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015